PDA

View Full Version : New plan for recording my guitar videos

Robert
January 28th, 2010, 05:36 PM
So, I have my studio built, and I'm in the process of building and installing sound panels. I build them myself, and it's working out just great.

Now, one thing that has been an issue with my video recordings is that the acoustic sound from the guitar strings sometimes is present in the video, if the amp volume is low. Related to this - with the camera some distance away, the sound of me talking is sometimes poor quality, just because of the room and the distance between the camera mic and myself.

So, with all that in mind, I have a plan. I just ordered a Phonic 4 channel mixer, and I am also getting a Shure headset mic (or a lapel mic, we'll see). What I will do is to mic my amp with an SM57, send it to the mixer; use the headset/lapel mic and send it to the mixer; then I'll mix to taste, and run the output into the audio input on the camera.

Sounds like it should work? I hope so! I am not sure why I didn't think about doing it this way before.

I am expecting the sound to be much, much better, both guitar sound as well as the audio of my voice.

I only need a 2 channel mixer, but I thought I might have use for 2 more some time in the future, and it was only $30 more. So there you go! :pancake

M29
January 28th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me, get a mic up close to your mouth so the room acoustics are minimal and mic the amp which can use some room acoustics.

Congrats on your project!

Robert
January 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I also bought a Shure SM11 yesterday. A lavalier microphone. I should get the gear next week sometime, and then it's time for testing!

Robert
February 9th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Well, I did some testing last night. You know what - I didn't think enough before buying the mixer. Turns out I don't need it.

I did a test last night, where I used a lapel mic for talking, and an SM57 on the guitar amp. Both mics went into my old Tascam US-122 and then I recorded these 2 tracks into GarageBand while the camera was running. I then mixed the 2 tracks in GarageBand, basically just panning them a bit left and right. It made it a lot better. The lapel mic picks up a lot of the guitar amp sound, but I don't think that is really hurting anything. When the 2 tracks are together, it still sounds quite good. I exported the mix as a lossless AIF file.

After I was done filming, I imported the video to the computer. I deleted the audio from the video in Final Cut Express (the audio that the video camera captured). I imported the AIF audio file I had exported in GB, and now I had to sync up the sound to match the video. It wasn't that hard really. Just a matter of finding the beginning, and then fine tuning it one frame at a time with the arrow keys on the keyboard.

The end result - a huge improvement in overall sound!

I am going to use this method from now and, and when I have the first video up using this technique, I'll be interested to hear what you guys think.

Anyone need a 4 channel mixer with built-in effects? :what
I really have no use for this thing right now. I guess it could come in handy for something else down the road, but it was definitely a stupid buy on my part. It's just gonna sit there and collect dust...

Monkus
February 9th, 2010, 08:58 AM
sounds good ! I like when tech helps rather than spending your time learning tech rather that playing the instrument.

Robert
February 9th, 2010, 09:23 AM
Of course, the quest for tone never ends... I bought an ultra cheap mic preamp (ART tube preamp) which really helps to boost up the signal from the lapel mic. This is my first mic preamp I've ever bought/used. The problem is, that it's ultra cheap and it adds a lot of noise to the recording... I guess you get what you pay for! So now I'm looking around to see if I can find a decent mic preamp that doesn't add so much noise, and since I'm using 2 mics (one for speaking, one for the guitar), I'm thinking a dual mic pre would be a good idea. Just a matter of how much to spend on it. The G.A.S never ends! :D

deeaa
February 9th, 2010, 10:22 AM
So...you can use the mixer for preamping, huh? only, the phonic is likely to be quite a noise generator.

I have a somewhat similar dilemma . I have a pretty nice dbx channel strip with tube pre, compressor etc. and digital out...but i cant get it to work with my presonus digital input. or, i can, but its a hazsle requiring me to every time to both select correct parameters in card settings and set the word clock to follow external sync AND still set the dbx via its buttons to correct sample rate etc...default is 96...

SO my problem isI can only use the dbx in the souncards insert loop and lose the use of its preamp or use it before the soundcard and use line connection and lose the balancing and introduce noise...

Furthermore I would like to use my external fx to record real fx tracks...and i need the dbx to provide aux sends to fx units that i can re_route to soundcard channels...

so if i rig it right i record 4 tracks at once, one direct, one via the tube pre and a stereo fx track to blend in and use in monitoring for fx while recordin...

but theres way too much noise. i tried using a behringer mixer to do the routing but that is even worse in terms of noise.

idunno what to do...i guezz id need a quality mixer with 4 in 4 out proper...

Robert
February 9th, 2010, 10:29 AM
deeaa, I don't enough about what you are trying to do. I have never used digital outs. But I do know, that quality hardware will introduce a lot less noise than the cheap stuff. :)

Monkus
February 10th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Robert, these are the two I have, best bang for the buck,

presonus firebox:
http://www.music123.com/PreSonus-FIREBOX-24-bit-96kHz-FireWire-Recording-System-184133-i1125347.Music123

M-audio DMP3:
http://www.music123.com/M-Audio-DMP3-2-Channel-Mic-Pre-Direct-Box-241101-i1125983.Music123

Google the reviews, I expect that you'll be pleasantly surprised. Now to save for the Avalon.... :thwap

Monkus
February 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Deeaa,

Have you seen these, it might be your solution:

http://www.music123.com/M-Audio-NRV10-8-Channel-Firewire-Mixer-630121-i1172236.Music123

i'm not in anyway affiliated with any of these companies btw...

deeaa
February 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM
yeb Afirewire mixer would be good...I have the presonus firebox 8 inputunit but can't get it to work with the sDBX 378 ...AND there areno win 7 drivers for presonus yet.

those mixdrs are too expensive for me. might trade the presonusfor a zoom r 16 unjt If zoom get w7 drivers out...itd also woek as portable studio alone.