PDA

View Full Version : Chet Baker

Robert
January 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
How's about some nice jazz a la Chet Baker? He played (and sang) so melodically. Check out his material if you like his style.

R_f_mMJAezM

tjcurtin1
January 29th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Great late-night driving music, in my experience!

msteeln
January 29th, 2010, 11:04 PM
So under appreciated.
I love his whole career of sounds and styles. Helped pull me out of some ruff times.
The moody heroin stuff just makes me fall over.

Robert
January 29th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Glad you liked it. Yes, I think he was under appreciated.

Here is a haunting, beautiful ballad. Listen to it when you have time to sit down and close your eyes and just immerse yourself in the tune, without any distractions.

z4PKzz81m5c

SuperSwede
January 30th, 2010, 02:50 AM
I love his music.. thanks for reminding us about this great artist Robert :)

tot_Ou_tard
January 30th, 2010, 07:33 AM
O yeah! I'm a long time Chet Baker fan.

His life was pretty sad. he's was hooked on herion.

syo
January 30th, 2010, 08:20 AM
Wow. Great stuff. Thanks Robert! I had heard the name before but knew nothing of his music. Looking forward to hearing more.

Robert
January 30th, 2010, 09:23 AM
He died by falling out of a window at a hotel in Amsterdam, if I remember correctly?

Geraint Jones
January 30th, 2010, 11:41 AM
He died by falling out of a window at a hotel in Amsterdam, if I remember correctly?

Yeah , I seem to remember there was some controversy over the circumstances of his death some say he was pushed after owing money to fund his habit . I`ve got a cd of his last concert , I believe he died 2 weeks later . My Funny Valentine always raises the hairs on the back of my arms , also he played on Elvis Costellos Shipbuilding another of my favourites .

tot_Ou_tard
January 30th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah , I seem to remember there was some controversy over the circumstances of his death some say he was pushed after owing money to fund his habit . I`ve got a cd of his last concert , I believe he died 2 weeks later . My Funny Valentine always raises the hairs on the back of my arms , also he played on Elvis Costellos Shipbuilding another of my favourites .
Yup.

I have that CD as well. I did not know that he played on Shipbuilding.

Wow, thanks for that!

msteeln
January 31st, 2010, 12:17 AM
A positive on Chet is there is a lot to enjoy thanx to tons of CD and a few vid releases, all quite viable.
He was the West Coast Miles Davis, and in my mind an equal due at least to Chet's ability to sing, and sing sublimely.
He did travel a ruff road, of his own making. Great highs and lows. Once having his teeth pulled out by an unhappy dealer. A trumpet player with no front teeth..., yet he overcame that disaster and continued his incredible career. He was a ruff dude but a tender soul.
The video bio Let's Get Lost is well worth your time.
http://chetbakertribute.com/about.htm

jpfeifer
February 2nd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Cool Robert.
I really like this. I'm not familiar with Chet Baker's music. Thanks for passing this along. I need to get some of his stuff and just listen. I really like his soloing style. His voice sounds kind of like Mel Torme. I'm suprised that this guy was not a more well known musician.

--Jim

msteeln
February 2nd, 2010, 11:49 AM
He was very well known in his good looking prime, but his lifestyle killed off interest by the bigs and promoters, so he relegated himself to Amsterdam and survived off gigs and royalties. He lived life the way he wanted to and it cost him mega-stardom, thus he is still under the radar for the most part due to quality music being pretty much a thing of the past.