PDA

View Full Version : Remembering (or forgetting songs)

deeaa
January 30th, 2010, 02:12 AM
I happened across this post on another forum where someone was marveling about hearing some of his older song and pondered how he can't remember how'd he played it.

I think that's the norm? Do you guys usually remember how to play your old songs even after a long while? Or some cover songs just off memory?

I'm lucky to even remember those maybe 12 or so songs on the current setlist at any given time, and even those I sometimes blank out on what was I supposed to play, especially if I haven't played them in a few weeks or so.

I just scrapped this 3-year long band a couple of months ago, just after we had released a full album, and by now, I couldn't remember how to play those songs on the album to save my life. It's been months! I know, I musta played those songs at least 50 times or so, several gigs too - but come on, are you supposed to remember songs off your head?

I do remember maybe 2-4 simple songs off the top of my head on the acoustic, like some CCR or whatever. But not the lyrics.

Are players usually able to actually remember some song they may have played years ago?

For me, watching some of my live performances from the 90's...can't even remember hearing many of those songs I composed and wrote lyrics for as well, let alone how to play them. Hell it feels downright funny to watch myself on the video, can't remember jack s**t about most of those gigs etc.

mainestratman
January 30th, 2010, 05:44 AM
I'm horrible at remembering songs... in fact, the last open mic jam I was at (a couple weeks ago), a couple of us were taking the energy of the open mic to a more "rock n' roll" energy... one of us would start a song, and the other would join in kind of thing... and even though I've played the song a zillion times, I blanked on the intro lead for "Wish You Were Here".

Another example.. I'm apparently re-learning "Little Wing" (not learning it for the first time).. I have NO memory of ever playing it before, but a friend of mine from my military days told me that I played it in one of the bands I was in back in the day. I don't remember playing in that band, let alone playing that song.

However.... having said all that... I *do* remember the very first song I co-wrote with a friend of mine back in 1988 or 1989... neither of us knew anything about scales or anything like that (I had some theory from piano lessons)... I remember the progression, the fills and all the lyrics... and I also remember the cheesy solo I wrote for a song a girlfriend of mine had written around that same time... not the song or lyrics (even though she wrote it for me), but my screaming cheese lead. ;-)

deeaa
January 30th, 2010, 05:51 AM
Phew that sounds very familiar...I was already getting worried I'm the only one...I also remember some very old bits and pieces well :-)

mainestratman
January 30th, 2010, 05:53 AM
I was going to blame it all on getting old, but we're the same age.. LOL

deeaa
January 30th, 2010, 06:21 AM
I've been slightly worried overall, I think I may need to start acting to 'jog' my memory somehow to keep it working. My mom had severe memory loss already in her 60's...could run in the family.

I've always laughed about how it's very very hard for me to remember people's names---I'm a teacher and pupils also seem to take it personally that I never remember their names or what class it was they were on, even if I've had them as pupils for several years etc. It's a struggle for me to remember just the names of my immediate family, let alone acquaintances. Also in numbers, I swear, I can only remember 3 numbers easily, when I look up a phone number for instance I need to check the number in parts, push the buttons after each three and then check back for the next three.

Add to that the fact that I constantly find myself standing in front of the fridge or something, wondering why the hell am I here, and then the wife shouts for me like 'so are you getting that brush from the toilet or what?' and I'm like why the hell am I standing in the kitchen...LOL

I just gotta keep reminding myself to trust my wife's memory whenever hers differs from mine. And a huge thanks goes to palm assistants...I'd be totally lost if I didn't have my smartphone to check every 15 minutes for schedules and to-do lists.

street music
January 30th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Guys , I'm older than either of you , I need to have at least the words in front of me with the chords , I just have trouble remembering things and while a few songs may come me I don't feel safe without the backup on paper.

kiteman
January 30th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Y'all ain't alone guys. :(

I only remember a handful from the 60s and a handful from the 70s. Those were my heydays.

Won't do me any good to learn songs nowadays so I just jam. I seem to be full of licks. :)

Spudman
January 30th, 2010, 01:44 PM
I have 80 songs on my song list and can recall more from memory. Can I remember the lyrics to all 80 songs? Nope. I use a notebook and music stand. I don't care if it looks a little cheesy because at least it sounds great. Most of the time I don't need the lyrics but occasionally I do. Mostly that comes from not having done the song on a regular basis for a while. Repetition is key for me for cover tunes.

Now as far as stuff from long ago in my past...I go back and hear things and often say "how the heck did I do that?" Sometimes it takes a while to figure it out again but my theory is that if I did it once I can do it agian. The real brain boggeler is after trying and trying to figure something out and I still can't get it I suddenly come to the realization that I've double tracked the part or it's in a different tuning.:thwap It's neat in a way though because in order to play the part I'm thinking differently and finding different voicings and fingerings so at least I'm growing.

Mostly though my memory is pretty good. Repetition helps.

mainestratman
January 30th, 2010, 01:56 PM
@Spud... for me it's the opposite... when I was less experienced, I didn't know that I wasn't able to do things at that lower level. Now that I've been playing longer, I'm suddenly boxed into this tiny little space with all sorts of limitations on my ability to play, because I "know better" that I "can't do it"...

I really need something to break out of this box. Heh.

Spudman
January 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I really need something to break out of this box. Heh.

Jagermeister seems to work sometimes. Just sayin'.

mainestratman
January 31st, 2010, 07:45 AM
Jager and I don't get alone really well... lol

marnold
January 31st, 2010, 12:20 PM
Jager and I don't get alone really well... lol
Does Jaeger get along with anyone well?

mainestratman
January 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Well, in all honesty, it tastes like store-brand cough syrup to me.. that thick, sticky-sweet is a little more than I can handle.. the alcohol content isn't a problem, it's the rest of it.. LOL

I'll stick to my beer. :beer:

:-)

Spudman
January 31st, 2010, 12:57 PM
I usually drink Jagermeister shots with Coke on the side. The sweet together seems to be alright for my tastebuds. I've tried beer with it before but beer and Coke just don't go well together.:D

I do think the herb content in the Jager helps with my memory...at least that's what I tell myself.:dude

deeaa
January 31st, 2010, 01:18 PM
Jaegermeister is GREAT stuff I always have it in my liquor cabinet.

I can't be bothered with mixers or ice, so I drink stuff that tastes good warm and straight up - mostly cognac of stronger alcohols, but Jaeger comes along second, I guess. Sometimes, like last night, I also drink some whiskey and of course vodka shots are great now and then.

The thing with Jaeger...it tastes quite nice even on a hot day, and it goes down well in a hangover, especially at festivals etc.