PDA

View Full Version : 'Classified' CV 50's strat

tjcurtin1
January 30th, 2010, 04:30 PM
...as in made classier (at least IMHO) with the addition of the tortoise pickguard. I just didn't like the thick looking single-ply bright-white guard, especially since the guitar has the aged/off-white pup covers and knobs.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm144/tjcurtin1/CV50tortoise.jpg

Robert
January 30th, 2010, 04:38 PM
Ahh, what a beauty. GAS never sleeps.

Spudman
January 30th, 2010, 06:38 PM
That actually looks really nice. I never would have thought to do that.

street music
January 30th, 2010, 09:35 PM
tj, that is a beauty.

Tig
January 30th, 2010, 09:42 PM
That looks really nice! Where did you get the pickguard? Do the CV's use the same kind (size/drillings) as MIM Strat's?

tjcurtin1
January 30th, 2010, 09:49 PM
That looks really nice! Where did you get the pickguard? Do the CV's use the same kind (size/drillings) as MIM Strat's?

Got it on ebay from bassplayer437 for $16. plus $5 shipping. The CV's have a '57 style guard with 8 screws instead of 11 (a real Fender '57 guard is about $40....). All the holes lined up except for one, so I did have to drill one hole. Small price for the visual pleasure it affords! I got the idea from the CV '60s strat which has the tortoise guard.

M29
January 30th, 2010, 09:59 PM
That is sweet tj!! Absolutely beautiful:drool

sunvalleylaw
January 31st, 2010, 12:35 AM
That actually looks really nice. I never would have thought to do that.

I would have. Sunburst with a tort looks awesome to me. Nice TJ! :applause

ZMAN
January 31st, 2010, 08:48 AM
I have seen one other take on this theme. A guy on another forum had both the 50s and 60s. He loved the 3 color burst, and the A-Vs on the 60s. He wanted a maple neck. So he swapped necks. The rosewood board looked good ont he 2 color burst 50s as well. This is when you wish, the guitars came with both fretboards.
I recently bought the CV50s Custom tele. I would kill for a maple board on it.
Hmmm let me see, didn't the 50s Tele in White have a maple board?

Duffy
January 31st, 2010, 11:53 PM
How do you guys post those nice big pictures to the posts. Mine are always small thumbnails or just links.

I would like to be able to post some pictures right in the message.

Is it that my original pictures are large files?

By the way, I replaced, a couple days ago, the pickguard on my sunburst CV 50s with an amber pearl one amd trem cover that I got for fifteen dollars at
Grizzly, the tool place. Looks beautiful.

I will take some pictures and post them.

tot_Ou_tard
February 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM
I'd like to put a blue paisley pickguard on my CV tele, but I can't find any online.

t_ross33
February 1st, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'd like to put a blue paisley pickguard on my CV tele, but I can't find any online.

not paisley, but kinda cool here (http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_tele_pickguard_te_128bu.html)

tjcurtin1
February 1st, 2010, 06:20 PM
I bet that would look great!

tjcurtin1
February 1st, 2010, 06:30 PM
How do you guys post those nice big pictures to the posts. Mine are always small thumbnails or just links.

I would like to be able to post some pictures right in the message.

Is it that my original pictures are large files?

Hi Duffy,

What I was instructed to do was to upload your photos to a site like Photobucket (free). Once posted there, hit 'share' above the photo and then the tab 'get link code'. Then just copy the code for IMG for forums, come to your message here, click the 'insert image' button on the toolbar, and paste in the code. My images are about 1 mb in size, about 1500 x 2300 pixels.

Ted

Zip
February 1st, 2010, 07:32 PM
tot, check out the 'Blue Candy Crush' pickguards from Pickguards.us (http://pickguards.us/materialoptions.htm). Close to paisley, and gorgeous. Don't know if anyone else uses that material, maybe get it cheaper elsewhere.

peachhead
February 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM
TJ, that looks great- much better than original. I've been debating a new guard for a while too and that helps push me over the edge. That combination is just stunning.

tot_Ou_tard
February 2nd, 2010, 07:34 AM
Those both looks sweet. Thanks TJ and Zip!

I'd still prefer paisley, but if I can't find it I'll go with the blue candy crush or the abalone shell from Pickguard Heaven.

-------------- oops! ----------------------

I just looked at those prices $57 for the blue candy crush & $64 for the abalone. Yikes!

duhvoodooman
February 2nd, 2010, 09:51 AM
...as in made classier (at least IMHO) with the addition of the tortoise pickguard.
+1 :dude :applause I agree 100%--looks great with the tort PG, Ted!