PDA

View Full Version : I love the new(ish) Star Trek movie!

sunvalleylaw
January 31st, 2010, 12:40 AM
I love the new Star Trek movie. It has the feel of the old TV series, that I watched the re-runs of throughout my childhood, coupled with the pace of the Star Wars series, and a much better budget for effects. I love the character work they did to bring the old TV characters to life.

They also did a lot with the lighting, using flares for effect, and used sets, doing the shots "in camera" as much as possible, to give it a "real" flavor rather than blue screen and computer effect everything. It gives it a great visual effect.

I received the DVD for Christmas and have watched it twice now, after having seen it in the theatre this summer. I highly recommend it! :applause

IptbC3p2lCk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IptbC3p2lCk

Spudman
January 31st, 2010, 04:18 AM
I'm with you. I really enjoyed it too. They really did an outstanding job of casting and capturing the flavor of what it might have been like as they were younger Star Fleet cadets. This one ranks high with me and I'd love to see it again too.

Commodore 64
January 31st, 2010, 06:19 AM
The wife and I have watched it at least 10 times. We like it too. The girl who played Uhura was also the hot N'avi from Avatar.

Tig
January 31st, 2010, 09:57 AM
I enjoyed it as well. They did a good job of capturing the characters that were developed by the original TV series that I grew up watching.
You also might enjoy reading Leonard Nimoy's book, "I Am Spock", as much as I did.

peachhead
January 31st, 2010, 01:22 PM
I'm with you. I really enjoyed it too. They really did an outstanding job of casting and capturing the flavor of what it might have been like as they were younger Star Fleet cadets. This one ranks high with me and I'd love to see it again too.

+1. My brother gave it to me for Christmas and I'm glad he did.

MichaelE
January 31st, 2010, 07:54 PM
I've yet to see it, but seeing the trailers again might have me down to the store tomorrow. I am looking forward to it, but have been putting it off.

Watched it for the first time in 1968 in Wiesbaden, Germany.

Bloozcat
February 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM
As a Star Trek fan since the first episode I was pleasantly surprised by the movie. I agree about the "feel" of the movie and look forward to the next one (I certainly hope there's a next one!).

I've got it on DVD too!

FrankenFretter
February 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM
I've been a fan since watching the series on TV in the 60s as well, and as such had almost made up my mind that the new movie was going to be an abomination. It looked too hip to be in keeping with the original spirit of Star Trek, or so I thought. After finally watching it, I was quite impressed. A little something for all of us, new fans and old. I also thought that Chris Pine looked a bit like the actor who played Christopher Pike in the pilot episode of the original series, or TOS as we super nerds call it.

I don't have it yet, but it would be a good addition for my new Blu-Ray player.

Here's a bit of ST trivia from TOS: Some of the ducts visible in the corridors of the Enterprise carry the label "GNDN". Anyone know what that stands for? No cheating. :nope

Bloozcat
February 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM
"Goes nowhere, does nothing."

Saw it in a Star Trek trivia quiz a while ago. Good question, though!

ETA: Another question was what was the number of Kirk's living quarters on the Enterprise?

Tig
February 1st, 2010, 02:29 PM
Here's a bit of ST trivia from TOS: Some of the ducts visible in the corridors of the Enterprise carry the label "GNDN". Anyone know what that stands for? No cheating. :nope

I'll run that one by my brother. He's the biggest Trekker I know... Even has a real autographed photo of the entire TOS cast on the bridge, with every actor's signature! (obviously signed several years ago)
He could tell us the licence plate on the car going by on that episode where Joan Collins must die.

My Münchhausen syndrome moment was meeting James Doohan when he visited Mission Control many years ago. Very fun guy!

Commodore 64
February 1st, 2010, 03:38 PM
I had an autographed 8 x 10 of James Doohan too, but sadly, it got lost in a transporter mishap.

tot_Ou_tard
February 2nd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Yes, it is a good movie, but I was cracking up at the ending.

I still find the O-so-perfect construction of James' birth moment hilarious.

Great movie still.