PDA

View Full Version : Grammy awards

Robert
January 31st, 2010, 10:39 PM
Did anyone watch? Jeff Beck was on there. By the way, he is playing some showes with Clapton in February.

Thurs Feb 18 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
Fri Feb 19 New York, NY Madison Square Garden
Sun Feb 21 Toronto, Canada Air Canada Center
Mon Feb 22 Montreal, Canada Bell Center

I just saw Beyonce perform at the Grammys. I don't know much about her or her music, but what a performance! She is easily one of the most impressive and powerful female vocalists I've ever heard. And she puts on a show too!

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2010, 12:18 AM
Yes I watched it. I was not over impressed overall I guess. But then my taste in music does not match up with a lot of what is out there now. I agree that Beyonce is a powerful vocalist, but I honestly was listening more to her guitarist. LOL! I liked Jeff Beck doing the Les Paul thing. I kinda liked the Green Day part, and really do enjoy 21st Century Breakdown, that they won best rock album with. (I would rather have heard the band play it, rather than the cast from the new broadway show joining in) But overall, I wanted more guitar. It seemed all rap/hip hop type pop and country pop. No blues or jazz, and not much rock. I was reminded by the show of now little rock or rock oriented offerings were recognized at all this year by the commercial media.

Still, always fun to watch, especially with a DVR so I can fast forward. ;)

I heard the event honoring Neil Young that happened Friday was great. It would have been fun to see that.

evenkeel
February 1st, 2010, 07:18 AM
Yeep watched most of it. Very much agree with the Beyonce comments. She got a lot of TV time yesterday as she was also interviewed on 60 minutes. Very thoughtful, well spoken you lady. Protective of her privacy and funny.

Green Day got a big thumbs up. Not so much the Zak Brown band, which was a dissapointment. The addition of Leon Russell did not help. I was also struck by the incongruity of Lady Antebellum, all tight three part harmonies, following the craziness of the Black Eyed Peas. Yikes!! :thwap

The Taylor Swift duet with Stevie Nicks was also a let down. Swift seemed to have a bit of a pitch problem.

Agree w/ SVL. More guitars would be nice. Unfortunately for a lot of modern popular music, guitars just are not part of the mix. It's all about rhythm.

Blaze
February 1st, 2010, 07:31 AM
Here 's Beck's Tribute to Les Paul... The Classic How High the Moon sing by Imelda May..Obviously Jeff is playin a LP ..

UdcUvhq_3do

Also Beck won the 2010 Best Rock Instrumental Performance with this interpretation..

WuhnEcSm5sU

ZMAN
February 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
It sucked big time. My wife was watching it and I checked in a few times.
Now come on people have any of you actually listened to the words of Beyonce's Song "all the single ladies" Those are only four words in the whole song. Must have taken a musical genius to write that one.
Of all the songs to feature a Les Paul and Jeff Beck "How high the moon"
I know it was a tribute to Les Paul but come on.
And don't even waste my time with one more electronic voiced rap crap song by Jamie Fox.
No wonder classic rock stations are so popular.
And the lovely duet with Taylor Swift and Stevie Nicks. Could Taylor hit a note on key just once.
All the flashing lights and even 3 D images couldn't save this one, it was horrible.

hubberjub
February 1st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I won't watch the Grammy Awards out of principle.

Commodore 64
February 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
I haven't watched the Grammy Awards since the Go-Gos were in the Top 40 Countdown with Casey Kasem.

Spudman
February 1st, 2010, 03:42 PM
The only redeeming thing about the whole event was that the lighting was awesome. Otherwise, pew. I really enjoyed what was on the other stations at the time.

Robert
February 1st, 2010, 04:03 PM
I still like Beyonce... so sue me! :D

Commodore 64
February 1st, 2010, 04:06 PM
Oh I like looking at her. It's the listening to her that hurts.

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2010, 04:22 PM
Ok, I was being a little overly polite before. I liked Taylor Swift as she seemed a nice kid, but her performance with Stevie was a bit painful. Very flat. I had hoped she would do better.

Beyonce's voice is very powerful, but I did not like her songs at all really. It may be what is popular out there now, but not my mug of beer. I was struck by how I kind of missed the idea of Michael Jackson. His tribute was kinda nice, not that all the singers were my favs, but it was still ok. Other than that, maybe the highlight was Sir Elton's duet with Lady Ga Ga. His old song they slid into was one of my favorites when i was 12. Even my favs, Green Day, gave a less than satisfying performance in my eyes. They should rock that song, not help sell tickets to a play based on the album.

I did not get to hear Slash's playing, as in fast forward mode through the Black Eyed Peas number. I just could not hang in there to listen, then when I saw Slash's hat flash across the screen, I did not go back and listen. There must have been awards for blues and jazz, but no performances were included in the broadcast that I saw. I have to admit I was disappointed. I normally enjoy at least a good chunk of the Grammys.

EDIT: Robert, that's cool that you like Beyonce. Good on ya. She obviously has vocal talent, but I just don't care for the songs. I actually preferred Pink's number with the "circus of the stars" stunts.

EDIT AGAIN: I suppose I also must admit, that though I don't consider myself old, the Grammy's made me feel that way a bit. I did not own, or even recognize, most of the songs up for best song.

just strum
February 1st, 2010, 04:29 PM
Didn't even know they were on this weekend, also found out about an hour ago that the Pro Bowl was on this weekend.

I guess it was my lost weekend.

sunvalleylaw
February 1st, 2010, 04:31 PM
Strum, you were busy changing guitar strings, and chatting on FB about that, and Duluth, and Warren Zevon. All in all, a much better use of your time! :applause :AOK

sumitomo
February 1st, 2010, 04:37 PM
I thought it was great,I just wear my headphones into my i-pod! Sumi:D P.S. Beyonce sounds alot like Coco Montoya to me!

MichaelE
February 1st, 2010, 04:51 PM
...Swift seemed to have a bit of a pitch problem...

I noticed that too. Maybe monitor problems. Definitely off on several notes though.

just strum
February 1st, 2010, 05:23 PM
Strum, you were busy changing guitar strings, and chatting on FB about that, and Duluth, and Warren Zevon. All in all, a much better use of your time! :applause :AOK

The string thread was great - much more entertaining than TV

tunghaichuan
February 1st, 2010, 05:48 PM
The Grammy's were on? When? :french

marnold
February 1st, 2010, 09:01 PM
Even us aging headbangers would agree with you on that :)