PDA

View Full Version : Opinions, please....

duhvoodooman
September 21st, 2006, 08:45 PM
I'm going to replace the control knobs on my Strat because they've yellowed a bit and don't match my CS Texas Special pickup covers, which are bright white. But when I went looking for knobs at StewMac, I started thinking about going with black knobs and changing the p'up covers to black, too. I did a "mockup" image. It's posted below with a photo of the guitar as it is currently:

Tell me which you prefer--the current black & white scheme or the black-on-black combo:

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/strat_body_300.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/strat_body_blackmod.jpg

Katastrophe
September 21st, 2006, 08:47 PM
I like the contrast of the white pup covers and knobs against the pickguard better, IMHO.:)

Robert
September 21st, 2006, 08:51 PM
The white combo is way more sexy.

Spudman
September 21st, 2006, 08:52 PM
Why don't you just 'age' the pup covers? I think a few guys here have done that with success. I think I'd like the look of that best. I too like some contrast, but you are right, the white is too white.

SuperSwede
September 22nd, 2006, 02:42 AM
DVM, the white looks so much better! But you should follow spuds advice and age them (perhaps Tot can send some of his Darjeeing tea for that purpose).. :)

Nelskie
September 22nd, 2006, 06:27 AM
I think the black covers / knobs look awesome! Ominous and stealthy. There are more than enough grayish mid-tones in the moto pickguard to contrast the body. Kinda' makes it look like things are floating around in a cloud of wispy smoke. And with a Strat that nice, why not make a statement? ;) I'd definintely go with the black, bro'.

oldguy
September 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
My vote goes for black (including the tremelo tip, of course:D )

TS808
September 22nd, 2006, 07:38 AM
Black on black looks pretty cool in my opinion. Or with a black guitar, tortoise shell with black knobs and pup covers is great too.

warren0728
September 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
Black on black looks pretty cool in my opinion. Or with a black guitar, tortoise shell with black knobs and pup covers is great too.
i was thinking the same thing....tortoise shell would look sweet....

ww

Cranium
September 22nd, 2006, 08:16 AM
I think you should let the covers age and become yellowish too, although the black looks really cool :cool: .

kerc
September 22nd, 2006, 08:21 AM
White. :D Love the contrast!

Justaguyin_nc
September 22nd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Im down for the white...looks pretty nice offset.. if you want them to age nicely... I smoke about 3 packs a day... you could send it here and probably be yellowed by the end of the month... just trying to help out...

Tim
September 22nd, 2006, 09:19 AM
Black on black looks good. But vintage covers would look good with the slightly aged knobs.

duhvoodooman
September 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Wow, lots of good input, guys. I thought there for a while it was going to be a "sweep" for the white-on-black combo, but the black-on-black came on there about midway through. I have to admit, I'm kind of partial to the black-on-black (a.k.a. "BoB"??), for a couple of reasons. It's not a combo you see very often, versus the more common "WoB". But mostly, I like it because it just makes the guitar look kind of brooding and, well, dangerous. Like Nelskie said, "ominous and stealthy".

A couple of you mentioned a tortoise shell PG; I like the tortoise shell, but not on a black body. Just a matter of personal preference, I guess. But if I had a Strat with a natural or cream/beige colored finish, I wouldn't want anything other than a tortoise shell PG on it!

Thanks for the opinions, and keep 'em coming, if you haven't weighed in on this question yet!

Cranium
September 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Mix white covers with black knobs or black covers with white/cream knobs :DR.

tremoloman
September 23rd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Black on Black is my vote... it just looks more sexy and seductive to me.

Tone2TheBone
September 23rd, 2006, 06:04 PM
I think it looks cool with black pup covers. Your knobs look almost mint. Maybe some mint pup cover replacements? Either way you got a nice lookin' geetar.

duhvoodooman
September 23rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm going to try the all-black "trim" and see how I like it. I've got it on order from StewMac, and it all came to only $21, including shipping. At that price, I couldn't resist checking it out....

duhvoodooman
September 29th, 2006, 04:42 AM
Well, no "mock-up" this time. Here's a photo of my Strat with all the black trim, plus the "before" shot with the white. Purely a matter of taste, but I like the all-black look better. And I still have the white stuff if I ever change my mind....

http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/strat_black_body.jpg http://duhvoodooman.com/miscimages/musical/strat_body.jpg

Nelskie
September 29th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Looks awesome, DVM. Now . . . feel the power of the Dark Side, Young Skywalker . . . ;)

Plank_Spanker
September 30th, 2006, 05:43 AM
Looks sweet, voodooman!