PDA

View Full Version : Relocator - Malmsteen, Idol, Sherinian

Spudman
February 2nd, 2010, 12:39 PM
RELOCATOR: have released their long-awaited debut CD featuring Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater, Planet X, Yngwie Malmsteen, Billy Idol)
A year and a half after its originally targeted release date, the debut CD by the international prog/fusion project Relocator was finally released this week. The complex yet melodic and accessible mix of progressive metal and fusion is elevated by the contributions of special guest star Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater, Planet X, Yngwie Malmsteen, Billy Idol) who recorded all the keyboard parts for the album.

The eight tracks featured on the CD endured several personnel changes and even a complete break-up of the band before the final group of musicians featured on the album came together. "After the band fell apart in late 2008, I was about to give up on the material," says guitarist and main composer Stefan Artwin. "But the idea to revive Relocator as a project instead of as a regular band turned out to be the right one - in one year we managed to accomplish what previous Relocator lineups had failed to do in four years."

The new Relocator project reunited Artwin with bassist Michael Pruchnicki, one of the band's original founders: "Michael was the one who kept pushing me to finish the songs and release them after the band's break-up. He got both Frank (Tinge, drummer) and Bartek (Strycharski, electric violinist) involved and ended up co-producing the album." Tinge, whose main band is the Dutch hard rock quartet Superbug, has already been called "the perfect drummer for this kind of music" in an early review and Strycharski's violin has proven an important acoustic element nicely complementing the album's spacey prog metal/fusion style.

In addition to this core group of musicians, the album features the blistering solos and impressive modern synthesizer sounds of special guest star Derek Sherinian, known for his work with Dream Theater, Planet X, Yngwie Malmsteen and Billy Idol as well as a string of exciting solo albums featuring some of the world's best guitarists. He is featured on keyboards throughout the entire 61-minute Relocator album.

The full album is available in streaming format on the Relocator MySpace page. RELOCATOR: have released their long-awaited debut CD featuring Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater, Planet X, Yngwie Malmsteen, Billy Idol)
A year and a half after its originally targeted release date, the debut CD by the international prog/fusion project Relocator was finally released this week. The complex yet melodic and accessible mix of progressive metal and fusion is elevated by the contributions of special guest star Derek Sherinian (ex-Dream Theater, Planet X, Yngwie Malmsteen, Billy Idol) who recorded all the keyboard parts for the album.

The eight tracks featured on the CD endured several personnel changes and even a complete break-up of the band before the final group of musicians featured on the album came together. "After the band fell apart in late 2008, I was about to give up on the material," says guitarist and main composer Stefan Artwin. "But the idea to revive Relocator as a project instead of as a regular band turned out to be the right one - in one year we managed to accomplish what previous Relocator lineups had failed to do in four years."

The new Relocator project reunited Artwin with bassist Michael Pruchnicki, one of the band's original founders: "Michael was the one who kept pushing me to finish the songs and release them after the band's break-up. He got both Frank (Tinge, drummer) and Bartek (Strycharski, electric violinist) involved and ended up co-producing the album." Tinge, whose main band is the Dutch hard rock quartet Superbug, has already been called "the perfect drummer for this kind of music" in an early review and Strycharski's violin has proven an important acoustic element nicely complementing the album's spacey prog metal/fusion style.

In addition to this core group of musicians, the album features the blistering solos and impressive modern synthesizer sounds of special guest star Derek Sherinian, known for his work with Dream Theater, Planet X, Yngwie Malmsteen and Billy Idol as well as a string of exciting solo albums featuring some of the world's best guitarists. He is featured on keyboards throughout the entire 61-minute Relocator album.

The full album is available in streaming format on the Relocator MySpace page. http://www.myspace.com/relocatorproject

Spudman
February 7th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I posted the wrong link to the Myspace page. The correct one is: http://www.myspace.com/relocatorproject

Thanks Michael.:AOK I copied the information from DPRP (www.dprp.net) You might want to let them know too.

Spudman
February 10th, 2010, 09:49 AM
Guys
This is really fun listening. Really top notch musicianship and groove. Go to the MySpace page and let the songs run. It's great!

I asked Michael a couple of questions about the record and here is some of his response:

The drums were recorded at the Mastersound Studio in the
Netherlands (http://www.mastersoundstudio.nl/, Derek recorded
his keyboard parts at his own "Beachwood Manor Studios" and
the rest was recorded at Stefan's home studio (guitars, violin)
and my home (bass). I guess this is proof that it really doesn't
take an expensive pro studio to produce a good-sounding CD
these days - as long as you know a few things about recording,
mixing and mastering (to my surprise we've even gotten a few
nice comments from an audiophile colleague recently).

Kyo
February 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Hi everyone,

Guys
This is really fun listening. Really top notch musicianship and groove. Go to the MySpace page and let the songs run. It's great!

Finally found some time to drop in and respond in person - thanks for the kind words and for helping get the word out about our album! :) If anyone has any questions, I'd be glad to answer them.

Enjoy the music, everyone! :)

Michael / Relocator

Btw, a few days after we sent out the above press release our album went online both on www.cdbaby.com (http://www.cdbaby.com) and the iTunes store, so I guess you could say we have somewhat decent distribution at last. :) Of course we profit most from direct sales via www.relocator-project.com (where you can also get an MP3 or FLAC version), but if you're in the USA or Canada, CDBaby is quite a bit faster and cheaper.