PDA

View Full Version : Cyber Deluxe

Justaguyin_nc
November 20th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Anyone here have one? How well does it do as a modeller? How does it compare to the Vox AD series?

Nelskie
November 22nd, 2005, 02:25 PM
Justa - I have the "big dog" of that same amp line - the Fender Cyber Twin, and it truly does have some nice modelled sounds - esp. the bank of Fender vintage amps (Bassman, Tremolux, Champ, Vibrolux). If you're partial to the Fender Tone, like me, it'll suit you very well. Prior to acquiring my Twin, I had a Cyber Champ, and it, too, was a great-sounding little amp. As a comparison to the Vox, I'd have to say that liked the Vox's modeled tones a tad bit better vs. the Fender Cyber Champ's, which I think is in part to its unique tube-hybrid design. The cleans on the Vox seemed to have a bit more "headroom", and its OD amp models a bit more "organic" - i.e. "tubey". The Twin has some unique features to it that allow one to switch drive sections (i.e. tubes) between various amps, though I'm not sure if the Deluxe has that option.

Both amps require a little bit of a learning curve to operate efficiently, which I basically equate to more practice time. Bottom line - both have great sounds. I guess it really depends on the type of tone you enjoying playing with most often, and how much $$ you want to spend. But value for the buck - I'd say the Vox gets the nod in that dept.

If you want an idea as to how the Vox AD50VT sounds, Robert Renman has some vid / sound clips on his excellent http://www.dolphinstreet.com/music site. Many of our fellow forum members play the Vox AD30/50 VT amps, and they absolutely love them. Me included! ;)

The Vox website has a number of demo sound clips, too. Here is the link for that page: http://www.voxamps.co.uk/support/resources.asp?productCode=NEWAD15VT&groupCode=demo

The Fender website also has sound samples of the Cyber Deluxe. Here is the link to that page: http://www.fender.com/products/cyber/cd/cd_sounds.php

My suggestion is this: If sound bytes won't allow for adequate comparison, and you don't have a local music store that carries either line of amps, both are available through Musician's Friend. That way, you can order one, test it out, and if you don't particularly like it - return it (they have a 45-day return policy). You'll be out the cost of return shipping, but at least you'll have an idea as to how the amp will sound through your own guitars. In my opinion, this is the only way to get a true feel of what those amps will do for your sound and / or playing. Amp "tone" is a very subjective issue, and what sounds good to one set of ears may not sound good to another.

Whatever way you do decide to go, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised at how "real" the tones in these amps sound, and amazed at the versatility these amps offer to today's guitar players. Good luck!

6STRINGS 9LIVES
November 22nd, 2005, 06:54 PM
Justa I've had a chance to play with a cyber deluxe for a weekend and a-b"d it against some of my blackface fenders.. and i gotta say its a sweet little piece of techno wiz bang...it's preset blackface tone is in the ballpark, but a little tweaking and its real close, hard to tell close when listening to someone else play..but when playing yourself it does not have the pick dynamics and compression of a tube blackface ...still a amazing package all the same , like a ad30 it does some things realy well but its learning curve is a little steeper than the vox.. the ad30 will have you smiling quicker in terms of finding useable models, imho they are both great amps for the money, i prefer the fender build quality and cosmetics, but you cant go wrong either way..6S9L