PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Follow Up

Tim
September 22nd, 2006, 05:10 AM
This is a short follow up to the soldering threads from last month. I recently went out and purchased one of those “Cold Heat” soldering kits ($19.00). Talk about an easy to change out those pups, caps and pots on your favorite guitar! No more worry about too hot of an iron burning/melting wires or the internal properties of components. These soldering kits can be purchased at Radio Shack or Home Depot. The more I use Cold Heat Soldering, the more I like it. The learning curve is very quick. The major trick is to use fresh batteries during the practice tests. After which it is a peace of cake to use.

The Cold Heat Soldering Tool uses 4 AA batteries to operate and has interchangeable split-tips. The Cold Heat Solder tool heats to 800 degrees instantly, cools to the touch instantly and weighs about 10 ounces. Available tips include conical, beveled and chisel shapes, all of which are made with a proprietary, patented material called Athalite. The unit has a work light which illuminates the area to be soldered and an indicator light to tell you the tip is hot. Cold Heat work great with wires of 18AWG to 20AWG and can be used with acid or rosin core solder.

In order to use the Cold Heat Soldering you must take time to practice. You need to learn which tip is best for the job you’re doing and the angle needed to approach your work. The tip is a split tip and must be laid across the area that will be soldered. This all takes practice to become skillful in using. After a few experiments you’re on your way to soldering your new modifications with worrying about overheating components.

The Cons: It takes power to generate enough heat to melt solder, especially when connecting or desoldering. The four AA batteries powering the Cold Heat tool can only supply a comparatively limited amount of energy. Consequently, the Cold Heat tool is good only for small tasks. Battery life depends on the number of times and size of the task. Best used for small jobs.

The Pros: It gets the job done. The Cold Heat tool is portable and wireless. It will fit into your pocket or tool box and carries easily and cools quickly. All of which are definite pluses especially for quick, small, emergency repairs. Excellent for guitar and amplifier modifications.

Cold Heat Quick Start Guide:
http://www.coldheat.com/uploadedFiles/STC_QSG(web).pdf

Cold Heat Manual:
http://www.coldheat.com/uploadedFiles/ST_English.pdf

The Classic and Pro Soldering Tool Kits
http://www.coldheat.com/uploadedFiles/ProClassicCompWeb.pdf

Cold heat FAQ:
http://www.coldheat.com/support.cfm?section=faq

tot_Ou_tard
September 22nd, 2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks Tim! I've been hesitating about changing pups because every time I have tried soldering before I have made a mess.

marnold
September 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Thanks, Tim! Looks like a decent choice for my eventual guitar project.

Cranium
September 22nd, 2006, 08:55 PM
Sounds cool, I used a normal soldering iron and it was a little hard but got the job done but with this sounds like it should be a breeze.

Justaguyin_nc
October 28th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I was in PigeonForge Tn this past weekend to view the tree colorings.. and they have a AS SEEN ON TV store..well.. I can't pass that place up..lol.. There was the COLD HEAT.. and I took one home with me.. unfortunately.. the tip had a crack in it.. so it's sitting in a drawer.. replacements are $10.00 plus shipping from their site.. heck.. may as well buy another and hope for a good tip.. it's in my future.. the size and feel would have worked great for guitar work!...

Plank_Spanker
October 28th, 2006, 04:18 PM
I'm a very "old school", 27 year electronics tech.:D

Nothing can replace proper soldering techniques or equipment - period. That "cold solder, comes with the Ginzu knives" gimmick is just that - a gimmick.

It will not make the uninitiated a "soldering fool". While you might get lucky on a joint or two, chances are that you'll end up with cold and loose joints.

While proper soldering isn't rocket science, there is much more to it than simply melting solder.