PDA

View Full Version : Clip-on tuners

steevc
February 3rd, 2010, 02:34 AM
I'm looking to get one of these for my acoustic. It may get used for my daughter's violin as well. They seem to range in price from around UKP10-45. Any recommendations?

The more recent Deans have a built-in tuner, but mine doesn't.

kidsmoke
February 3rd, 2010, 07:40 AM
I've had several clip on tuners, and I can heartily recommend the Korg AW1.
I believe Korg has updated the design to a slightly larger AW2, which is in fact slightly improved, but I don't own it. A quick search online makes it appear that they are both readily available.

Plus:
-It's smaller and easier to position than others
-extremely accurate (most importantly!)
-comes with two different clips to allow for different types of instruments (will go from your guitar headstock, to your trumpet bell, to your music stand)
-comes with a great case to hold onto the clip you're NOT using, and for storage

minus:
-the display isn't as bright as I'd like, in some instances it takes a bit of maneuvering to read easily, but the ball joint makes that doable (this is one of the improvements in the AW2, i believe)
-not inexpensive

Every other tuner I've had has failed to soon, or been a bit too big to leave in place, or had a readout that could serve as a flashlight. I've noted that I often see folks playing with this tuner on the headstock, it's so small and light, that it's not an issue to leave it there.

for example
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l58/tiokimo/korg.jpg

Happy hunting

steevc
February 3rd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Tio, Thanks for that. I see two versions of the AW-2. The AW-2G model is nearly half the price of the other with the only difference seeming to be that it comes with a single clip suitable for guitars. I think I'll go for that one.

kidsmoke
February 3rd, 2010, 08:29 AM
cool. I think you'll be happy with it. Price is definitely better than when I picked mine up a couple years back. NOW I'm irritated! :mad
I prefer black, also.

Enjoy.

BigBadWolf1171
February 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
I use Onboard reasearch Corp's intellitouch tuner. ive had it over 3yrs and its still on the same battery. works great, unless you tune down. it has a hard time reconizing the low E string if you tune down to C. but otherwise its excellent

player
February 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
IMT-500 intelli here.works great,very accurate at 440(standard tuning) :AOK

peachhead
February 3rd, 2010, 08:01 PM
IMT-500 intelli here.works great,very accurate at 440(standard tuning) :AOK

I second that, since it's the same one I have. It's great.

kidsmoke
February 4th, 2010, 12:07 AM
I had an IMT 550, it lasted bout 3 months and crapped out(screen would stay lit, no data). The shop I got it from readily exchanged it for another, thinking it was a lemon. 6 weeks later it crapped out. I took it back again, they said they'd stopped carrying them because they were having so many problems with them. I LOVED the functionality of them, but for me, they wouldn't hold up.

steevc
February 4th, 2010, 07:40 AM
I ordered the Korg from StringsDirect (UK) yesterday and got it today! By the time I included some strings and a cable I had enough for free next-day delivery.

The tuner is tiny, about the size of my thumb. Looks like it should be readable. The clip looks a little fragile, so I'll be careful where I keep it in the guitar bag. I'll have a play when I get home.

kidsmoke
February 10th, 2010, 02:50 PM
:poke
so steve, what's the verdict?

steevc
February 11th, 2010, 02:29 AM
:poke
so steve, what's the verdict?

I'm happy with the Korg. It's sensitive and easy to read. It's actually so sensitive that I managed to tune my electric with it clipped on the headstock when I had it it microphone mode rather than piezo. It works better in piezo mode. I don't need the light at home, but there are 2 brightness settings that will be useful anywhere less well lit.

We also used it to tune my daughter's violin.

kidsmoke
February 11th, 2010, 04:02 AM
cool! hope the clip holds up.