PDA

View Full Version : Free to a good home....

duhvoodooman
February 3rd, 2010, 09:19 AM
I just bought the parts to build myself a new PC, and two of the items came with a free bundled Belkin Wireless G notebook card ($15 value at NewEgg, full retail package):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833314306

http://www.belkin.com/images/product/F5D7010/STD1_F5D7010.jpg

I have no use for either of these cards and will give them away to whoever wants them (1 per person) for the cost of USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box ($4.95) to US destinations. Ex-US would be more. PayPal preferred. PM me if interested.

tunghaichuan
February 3rd, 2010, 11:32 AM
I'd take those off your hands, except I've got two coming as well :)

duhvoodooman
February 3rd, 2010, 11:59 AM
Really? Gee, what did you buy? :poke ;)

(Inside joke--Tung and I are both building new PC's and collaborated on the hardware choices. NewEgg had an amazing bundle deal--nice case, 700W PSU, micro-ATX P55 mobo, Intel i5-750 processor, 4GB fast DDR3 memory and 1.5TB HDD for $550, a discount of $150 from the sum of the individual prices. Too bad they didn't throw in something I could actually use as the "freebies"....)

marnold
February 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
And wherever might you guys have gotten the idea for an i5-750-based system from . . .

rylanmartin
February 3rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Yeah I'm thinking about using an Apple iPad...so I'm much too sophisticated and artsy to even be IN this thread...

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2010, 10:34 AM
And wherever might you guys have gotten the idea for an i5-750-based system from . . .

Yep, your PC did inspire me to go with the i5. I probably didn't save much over a computer company building me a machine, but I thought it would be fun to build one myself. I didn't like shelling out $140 for Windows 7, though :(

I'm still waiting on my parts from Newegg. Got the case last night, but the rest of the bundle and some extraneous parts have not shown up yet.

Back to the subject, bump for DVM and his generous deal on the wireless network cards. They run about $10 each so getting two for the price of shipping is a screaming deal.

duhvoodooman
February 4th, 2010, 10:59 AM
I didn't like shelling out $140 for Windows 7, though....
You & me both. I used to think $90 for a copy of Windows was too much. Saved some $$ by going with the OEM version of Win7 Pro, though. The full retail version is (gulp!) $275. That's obscene, IMO. No wonder Bill Gates is such a philanthropist--he can afford to be, at those prices....

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2010, 11:11 AM
You & me both. I used to think $90 for a copy of Windows was too much. Saved some $$ by going with the OEM version of Win7 Pro, though. The full retail version is (gulp!) $275. That's obscene, IMO. No wonder Bill Gates is such a philanthropist--he can afford to be, at those prices....

I was involved in Gates Foundation Libraries (http://www.gatesfoundation.org/topics/Pages/libraries.aspx) project back in 2001. Basically, Bill Gates donated computers and Microsoft software to libraries needing extra computers. The Foundation flew me out to Seattle for network training, which was cool as I got to visit some family there. The training lasted a week and we were put up in a posh hotel. Say what you want about Bill Gates, he has done some good.

marnold
February 4th, 2010, 12:44 PM
One word: Linux.

Just compiled (and am now using) the 2.6.32.7 kernel in 10.5 minutes. Whoosh! This Asetek liquid cooling system 0wns too. The CPU temp only went up a couple degrees Celcius despite diming all four cores for that amount of time. Intel really hit a homerun with this chip.

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2010, 12:54 PM
One word: Linux.

Just compiled (and am now using) the 2.6.32.7 kernel in 10.5 minutes. Whoosh! This Asetek liquid cooling system 0wns too. The CPU temp only went up a couple degrees Celcius despite diming all four cores for that amount of time. Intel really hit a homerun with this chip.

You're preaching to the choir here, Rev. I would jump to Linux in a heartbeat except: 1. I like to play games and 2. I like to record. I've tried several distros and there is just no gaming support for Linux. Also, trying to get the JACK server working or Linux to even recognize my sound card was a nightmare. Believe me, I want to run Linux.

I do plan on istalling Linux on two of my older machines, once I get the new PC built.

marnold
February 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
You're preaching to the choir here, Rev. I would jump to Linux in a heartbeat except: 1. I like to play games and 2. I like to record.
I hear you, although Audacity works great for recording for me--at least what little I do of it. For games, basically that's why we have a PS3, although I play a couple of native games and have gotten NWN2 working well on the new box. I'd really like to play Diablo III if/when it comes out.

But I digress . . .

duhvoodooman
February 4th, 2010, 04:31 PM
:offtopic I've been hijacked!! :offtopic

But I can't get too snotty about it, 'cuz I've done some of the hijacking myself! :o :rolleyes:

Back to the Belkin Wireless G cards.....c'mon somebody must want 'em! Can't believe that I literally can't give them away!! :thwap

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Bump for DVM.

C'mon guys, nobody can use two *free* wireless cards?

:offtopic I've been hijacked!! :offtopic

But I can't get too snotty about it, 'cuz I've done some of the hijacking myself! :o :rolleyes:

Back to the Belkin Wireless G cards.....c'mon somebody must want 'em! Can't believe that I literally can't give them away!! :thwap

Eric
February 5th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Also, trying to get the JACK server working or Linux to even recognize my sound card was a nightmare.
To continue with this hijacking, I can empathize big-time. My desire to run Linux has trumped my desire to record for the time being, but boy...sound can be pretty tricky in Linux, what with all of the sound servers, wrappers, drivers, etc.

I won't even claim to understand how Jack, ALSA, and pulseaudio all work together, but someday I swear I will start recording in Ardour and use those CAPS plugins...