PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever shipped to Japan?

birv2
February 4th, 2010, 01:46 PM
I'm selling a set of CS 54 pickups on ebay and someone asked me if I would ship them to Japan. I've never done this before. Are there any issues involved? Unforeseen costs, etc.?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250573043715&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

tunghaichuan
February 4th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm selling a set of CS 54 pickups on ebay and someone asked me if I would ship them to Japan. I've never done this before. Are there any issues involved? Unforeseen costs, etc.?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250573043715&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:US:1123

I remember shipping a couple of lots of tubes to Japan a couple years back. My own personal experience was that it was relatively painless. You'll have to fill out a customs form, either the green one or the white one if using USPS, which isn't too bad. It wouldn't be too expensive either, if the pickups fit in one of the small Priority Mail boxes. I wouldn't send it the slowest way either, I'd make the buyer cough up a little more for International Priority Mail. Things mailed via the slow boat tend to take a long time to get anywhere.

syo
February 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Yes, you have to fill customs forms, but no hidden costs to you. The buyer may have to pay a customs tax of 5% depending on the cost of the item here in Japan. Usually under $100 of the declared value, they don't charge tax. It is a good idea to prepare the buyer for this to avoid misunderstanding. Usually people who sell internationally make it clear that customs duties are the responsibility of the buyer. And I concur with Tung, definitely send by nothing less than priority mail.

otaypanky
February 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
I've never shipped to Japan but I ship guitar straps and have sent them to Singapore several times via USPS. I have shipped to many countries in Europe, Mexico, and Australia without a problem, all through the US post office. The cost is quite reasonable too ~

birv2
February 5th, 2010, 06:08 PM
I've never shipped to Japan but I ship guitar straps and have sent them to Singapore several times via USPS. I have shipped to many countries in Europe, Mexico, and Australia without a problem, all through the US post office. The cost is quite reasonable too ~

Thanks for all the answers, folks. We'll see if the Japanese person wins the auction.

Hey, otaypanky, enjoyed your set last night. But what was with the Les Paul? Thought you were a tele guy....

:dude

otaypanky
February 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Thanks for all the answers, folks. We'll see if the Japanese person wins the auction.

Hey, otaypanky, enjoyed your set last night. But what was with the Les Paul? Thought you were a tele guy....

:dude

Thanks Bob, that's a fun place. For folks that don't know Schank's Tavern, It's a warm and comfortable little tavern, chock full of vibe and charcter. Located on a liitle road in an out of the way place, it's not far from the shore of the Susquehanna River. It was established in 1814 and has been owned and run by the same family since the 1930's. Great thursday night jams in a great old place ~ and last night's was no exception :AOK

I love my Ron Kirn Tele, but I have a number of guitars, and love them all.
I sold 3 recently, but still have 13 guitars and a MIA Fender Jazz bass.
And with 10 amps and a bass amp, you never know what I'll be playing ~