PDA

View Full Version : Adventures with a Hardwire SC-2 and an AD30VT

marnold
February 4th, 2010, 08:33 PM
The past couple of days I've been trying out my new Digitech Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion with my AD30VT. The SC-2 has level, low, high, and gain knobs as well as a crunch/saturated switch. The tone controls are active so they will either add to or cut from available gain depending on how they are set. A little adjustment goes a long way. That switch is well named. Switching it to saturated adds another gain stage which also compresses the signal more. It's great for legato stuff, but chords become more indistinct. The crunch setting is Marshall-in-a-box territory. The distortion is crisp and chords don't get lost in a jungle of gain. It cleans up well too if you back off on the guitar's volume.

I tried it first with my Blackface settings, but it just sounded hollow. I had the same problem with my DVM-made OD2. Nevertheless, that gave me a chance/excuse to tweak it so it sounds even better clean. I really like that model for pristine cleans.

Anyway, somewhat by accident I discovered that both pedals work much better with the Tweed model right at the edge of breakup. Adding the OD2 with my neck pickup gives some really nice blues crunch. I had to futz with the settings both on the amph and the SC-2 to find something I liked. I set the level on the pedal to unity, low at noon, high at about 12:30, the gain at 3:00, and the switch on crunch. I'm still trying to dial it in. I've got the amph set with the gain about 11, volume dimed, treble at noon, mids and bass at about 1:00, and the master dimed. I went back and forth comparing that with my UK70s settings with the OD2 and the NuMetal settings I've been using.

The thing I like about the pedal is the crispness/definition to the distortion. Both of my old settings get too buzzy/fuzzy/indistinct for me. If I play the main "Crazy Train" riff with the old settings, it gets lost in a sea of distortion. The SC-2 doesn't suffer from that. I'm still trying to dial in a pseudo-Lynch tone that's bright enough without getting shrill. I've gotten things where the basic tone is the same whether using the old or new settings. The question right now is if the crispness/definition to the distortion of the SC-2 is enough in and of itself to justify its continued existence in my house.

Robert
February 4th, 2010, 09:14 PM
I bet the pedal would sound a lot better with a good tube amph. Jez zayin'....

marnold
February 4th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I bet the pedal would sound a lot better with a good tube amph. Jez zayin'....
And a player with talent, but one thing at a time!

SuperSwede
February 5th, 2010, 04:29 AM
The UK80´s model on my VT seems to handle distorsion pedals better than the other models. The Hardwire pedals looks really interesting.. do you have any clips from your adventures?

marnold
February 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM
The UK80´s model on my VT seems to handle distorsion pedals better than the other models. The Hardwire pedals looks really interesting.. do you have any clips from your adventures?
Not yet. I hope to in the not-to-distant future.

marnold
February 8th, 2010, 02:07 PM
OK, here's a shot at recording some of this. The settings on my amph are as follows: Tweed model, gain at ~10:30, volume loud enough not to clip the line in on my computer's sound, treble at ~1:30, mids and bass at noon, master dimed, and a bit of delay for some depth. The pedal was in "crunch" mode with the level at 11:00, low at 1:30, high a little after 11:00, gain at 3:00.

Metal Method Stage Four Solo (http://www.box.net/shared/45mxjamc0c)

Here I play the Livin' after Midnight main riff followed by the solo. The first time through it is with the UK70s model with the gain dimed and an extra push from my OD2. The second time through it is with the settings I used for the Metal Method solo. I had to adjust the volume on the fly and so the riff clips slightly in places.

Livin' after Midnight Test (http://www.box.net/shared/vdqummxgr9)

As always, please excuse my abject lack of talent. I don't think that these recordings reflect how it sounds to me as accurately as I would like. The distortion without the SC-2 seems a bit more ratty and ragged, whereas the SC-2 is crisper.

marnold
February 8th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Aargh. Now that I listen to both of those through my computer speakers, they both sound like crap. Well, I leave them up for you to spit on.

SuperSwede
February 8th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Nice drive! It seems to work great with both rhythm and lead parts! I really like the first "living after.." part when you boost the UK70 with the pedal.

Very nice!

Robert
February 8th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Are you happy with the pedal? That's all that matters. It's always hard to accurately capture the sound you hear in your room as you are recording.

marnold
February 8th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Sometimes it sounds good to me. Sometimes it sounds like crap.

To be honest, Robert, I'm at the point where I'm about to go Pete Townshend on my stuff. If you happen to see an AD30VT with a Dinky body embedded half way in it entering near-earth orbit, you'll know where it's coming from. I really like the clean sounds and bluesy sounds I can get from my stuff but I can't seem to get a decent metal tone to save my life. It's beyond frustrating. I know it's going to sound overly dramatic but I'm getting to the point where I'm hating to play.

mainestratman
February 8th, 2010, 08:15 PM
I wouldn't toss stuff just yet... I have to go with Robert on this, regarding amps, but with some QT and lots of experimenting, your gear may just surprise you.

If it helps, I *still* haven't found a tone I like... just today, I was paying attention to the tones of my playing (as opposed to the notes, so it wasn't the most brilliant performance of my life... lol), and have decided that I'm just too... "clean"... the gain on the Marshmallow is just too smooth for what I want... maybe I'll start slashing the speakers? :-)

Out of curiosity... in your sig, you list the B20... experiment with using that with the pedals at all?

marnold
February 8th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Out of curiosity... in your sig, you list the B20... experiment with using that with the pedals at all?
Really a topic for another thread, but I have a little bit, mainly just overdrive which I was pretty pleased with.