PDA

View Full Version : Volume Pedal

FLHX
February 5th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I'm in the market for a volume pedal. Any info anyone wants to share. Good or bad on pedals.

piebaldpython
February 5th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Hi FLHX.....hardly anyone around these parts uses a volume pedal. That's more of a pedal steel guitar thing. Not totally mind you, but mostly, from what I've seen.

Anyway, the BIG 3 in volume pedals seems to be Hilton, Telonics and Goodrich. Ernie Ball has one too.

Click on the site below for a discusssion of volume pedals:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=174393&highlight=vol+pedal

FLHX
February 5th, 2010, 03:05 PM
Sorry I made a mistake, I meant a boost pedal. Something to raise the dbs a little for a solo.

tunghaichuan
February 5th, 2010, 05:57 PM
Sorry I made a mistake, I meant a boost pedal. Something to raise the dbs a little for a solo.

One of the best around is the BYOC Triboost (http://www.buildyourownclone.com/triboost.html). It has several different types of boosts in one pedal.

If you're not diy-minded I bet Duhvoodooman would be happy to give you a quote to build and finish one for you.

piebaldpython
February 6th, 2010, 08:12 AM
Oh, you wanted a boost pedal. +1 on the Tri-boost pedal. LOVE mine. Lots of variety in the pedal re boosting capabilities. From the crystal clean MOSFET to the grittier linear boost. Got mine from DVM.

FLHX
February 12th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I've talked to a local shop and he recommended using an EQ pedal. Any thoughts about that.

piebaldpython
February 12th, 2010, 12:10 PM
Why use an EQ is you want to BOOST??? An EQ may give a bit extra when you clean up your bass/mids/treble but if you really just want to give more dB's, I'd go with a boost.

tunghaichuan
February 12th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Why use an EQ is you want to BOOST??? An EQ may give a bit extra when you clean up your bass/mids/treble but if you really just want to give more dB's, I'd go with a boost.

An EQ can be used for a boost. If you keep the EQ bands flat and use the level control to boost the signal. It is an active device and does have some gain. But I gree with you Pie, I would use a boost in this situation.

hubberjub
February 12th, 2010, 01:29 PM
Hi FLHX.....hardly anyone around these parts uses a volume pedal. That's more of a pedal steel guitar thing. Not totally mind you, but mostly, from what I've seen.

Anyway, the BIG 3 in volume pedals seems to be Hilton, Telonics and Goodrich. Ernie Ball has one too.

Click on the site below for a discusssion of volume pedals:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=174393&highlight=vol+pedal

That's interesting that you don't associate volume pedals with the six string. Most guitar players I know have a volume pedal on their board. I use either an Ernie Ball or a Morley Little Alligator volume pedal and wouldn't gig without one. I also have a BBE Boosta Grande for a clean boost after my overdrive pedals and into the front of my amp.

Eric
February 12th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Seriously? I have been in love with the built-in one on my ME-50 ever since I bought it, but I may re-think things. Maybe I have my whole approach wrong, and should be looking at using guitar controls a bit better.

Interesting.