View Full Version : The new Slash album

Tig
February 5th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Could be good. Comes out in April.
http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/News/slash%2D0202/

Track Listing:
01. Ghost (with Ian Astbury)
02. Beautiful Dangerous (with Fergie)
03. Nothing To Say (with M Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold)
04. Crucify The Dead (with Ozzy Osbourne)
05. Promise (with Chris Cornell)
06. By The Sword (with Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother)
07. Doctor Alibi (with Lemmy Kilmeister)
08. Saint Is A Sinner Too (with Rocco De Luca)
09. Watch This (with Dave Grohl/Duff McKagan)
10. I Hold On (with Kid Rock)
11. Gotten (with Adam Levine)
12. We're All Gonna Die (with Iggy Pop)
13. Starlight (with Myles Kennedy)

http://www.gibson.com/Files/aaFeaturesImages2010/Slash-Cover-Art.jpg

rylanmartin
February 6th, 2010, 12:21 AM
Seems a little "Carlos Santana - Supernatural" to me...

msteeln
February 6th, 2010, 12:56 AM
Such is the recording life of a reigning guitar hero.
The wigs no doubt were ready with the 'suggestion' should he not choose to smorgasboard record his solo stuff, but it's gotta be a players dream to have any and all artists you'd wish on your album.
Outside of Kid Rock, it look's promising. I'd already known Iggy was on it and have been anxious to hear it.

piebaldpython
February 6th, 2010, 08:03 AM
+1 to the ala Santana thing. What's sad is that I only have name recognition of 5 out 13 "guests" on his record. Sheesh!!

Tig
February 6th, 2010, 08:55 AM
What's sad is that I only have name recognition of 5 out 13 "guests" on his record. Sheesh!!

Where have ya been? :poke

Maybe some of the names don't ring familiar, but we'll likely recognize their voices or at least know the groups they come from.

Miles Kennedy is the singer from Alter Bridge, and was the first pick for the next Led Zeppelin tour that was canceled. The guy has great pipes, and if anyone has never listened to Alter Bridge, check out their most recent album, Blackbird.

Adam Levine is the pitchy, out of tune singer from Maroon 5. (meh)

You gotta' know Ian Astbury of The Cult!

OK, Fergie from The Blackeyed Peas doesn't look like a good fit. We'll see...

Andrew Stockdale of Wolfmother... Any guitarist who hasn't listened to a whole Wolfmother album is missing out. I recommend their recent Cosmic Egg release.

M Shadows of Avenged Sevenfold his a cool voice. Their Seize The Day song screams of Slash-like solos...

wA8m0i67O_c

Tig
April 6th, 2010, 11:39 AM
Got it today. Listened twice, but too early to make a bunch of detailed comments.

So far, I love it! Not every track, but the variety of guitar styles that Slash can play is a welcome surprise. Sure, you'll hear his trademark tone and style here and there, but he plays quite a bit better then the GnR days. Unless you absolutely hate Slash, you should pick up this album. If you do hate him, at least listen to a few tracks.
Complete preview: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/2

There's plenty of variety in the songs, but make no mistake, this is a guitar based album. Much better than Slash's Snake Pit group, and easily better than Velvet Revolver. He even has a chuga-chuga metal-ish song!

Here's a good track by track guide:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-solo-album-interview-the-track-by-track-guide-238767

Eric
April 6th, 2010, 02:12 PM
There's plenty of variety in the songs, but make no mistake, this is a guitar based album. Much better than Slash's Snake Pit group, and easily better than Velvet Revolver. He even has a chuga-chuga metal-ish song!
I'm only two songs in, but it seems surprisingly decent. I have to admit, the failure of Slash's Snake Pit and the somewhat-underwhelming guitar and endless hype that characterized Velvet Revolver made me view Slash as not quite as great as I had once thought. However, this so far seems to be good, at least when viewed through the lens of guitar-first music.

I am fairly happy that I was able to identify all guests except for #1, #7, and #8. I should have known Ian Astbury, but I haven't earnestly listened to The Cult enough to know many names associated with them.

Now that I'm on this Fergie song, I'm a little less impressed. Not so great, and the solo didn't do much for me either. Anyway...

Tig
April 6th, 2010, 03:11 PM
I am fairly happy that I was able to identify all guests except for #1, #7, and #8.

Number 7 on the above list (they released 3 more songs, so the list is a little off) is Lemmy from the British heavy metal group, Motorhead. I liked some of the early Motorhead stuff, but the Lemmy track on this album is a bit weak. The Iggy Pop track lyrics are seriously juvenile, but a bit funny as well.

The Fergie song isn't all that great, but at least she can sing a little rock. The Chris Cornell track is pretty good, as is the Andrew Stockdale track. The Dave Grohl/Duff McKagan instrumental track is cool, with a very Rush/Eric Lifeson "La Villa Strangiato" break in the middle.

tremoloman
April 7th, 2010, 08:19 AM
I give Slash props for going outside the box and trying something different. I'll snag a copy and give it a listen in the near future. :)

FrankenFretter
April 7th, 2010, 08:51 AM
I listened to part of the album on the way to work this AM. Very nice. So far my least favorite song is the Chris Cornell song, which is strange, since I like his voice, and I love old Soundgarden stuff.

So far, I love this album. I always felt that Slash's sound on the G n R albums was too thin, although good. I like the fuller sound he has these days.

Lev
April 7th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Full album streaming is available here: http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds/#/2

Tig
April 7th, 2010, 09:03 AM
So far, I love this album. I always felt that Slash's sound on the G n R albums was too thin, although good. I like the fuller sound he has these days.

I read that he split his guitar output into 2 amps for most of the album... A JCM-800 and 1 of many other amps into 2 separate channels and mixed far left and right. That might have helped with the fuller tones. The Iggy Pop song was just the Marshall before it was biased, sounding all rattled and rough.

Blaze
April 7th, 2010, 10:18 AM
He was at Leno last night ..Sounds a little Zeppelinesk to me..

u_wJnvROGNo

Tig
April 7th, 2010, 11:02 AM
He was at Leno last night ..Sounds a little Zeppelinesk to me..

That's because all of the Led Zeppelin member's DNA was secretly stolen by groupies and combined to create the love child band, Wolfmother! I read that in the grocery store check out line, so it must be true. :gossip

mainestratman
April 7th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I'm diggin that video. Good to hear new Slash stuff... I love hearing that Tele twang out in complementary contrast to the LP.

msteeln
April 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
The cd starts picking up speed w/Lemmy's cut, but one listen and out. Disappointing considering it's Mr. Hat, and the year 2010.
I found Jeff Beck's newie to be more interesting.

hagarfreak33
April 7th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I think the cd is -ok not great -not bad-just ok-
I picked up the new Ratt cd and liked it a lot

FrankenFretter
April 7th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I really like this album. I've now listened to all of it, including bonus tracks, and love it. I don't love every song, but I don't hate any of them either. By the Sword is one of my faves so far. I'm impressed, frankly. I'll be listening to it again several times this weekend, I'm sure.

bcdon
April 8th, 2010, 02:13 PM
I really like this album. I've now listened to all of it, including bonus tracks, and love it. I don't love every song, but I don't hate any of them either. By the Sword is one of my faves so far. I'm impressed, frankly. I'll be listening to it again several times this weekend, I'm sure.

I'm on my second spin and I have to agree, so far I like the album. I really dig the Ozzy track, found the Kid-Rock song not as bad as I expected, liked the Fergie song and really dug the Paradise City version with Cypress Hill. I plan on listening to it some more but so far, so good.

FrankenFretter
April 8th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Miles Kennedy is the singer from Alter Bridge, and was the first pick for the next Led Zeppelin tour that was canceled. The guy has great pipes, and if anyone has never listened to Alter Bridge, check out their most recent album, Blackbird.

Thanks for the heads-up on Alter Bridge, Doug. I just downloaded Blackbird, and I really like it so far. That Kennedy fella can really belt it out!

Tig
April 8th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the heads-up on Alter Bridge, Doug. I just downloaded Blackbird, and I really like it so far. That Kennedy fella can really belt it out!

Mark Tremonti on guitar is something as well. Alter Bridge is his group for playing what he likes, unlike Creed.

http://t-rex-effects.com/files/billeder/who_playes/Mark_tremonti_3.jpg

Tig
April 18th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I think the cd is -ok not great -not bad-just ok-
I picked up the new Ratt cd and liked it a lot

I'm listening to the new Ratt, and I'm really surprised how much better it is than I'd ever have guessed. When I read that they had a new release, I thought, "Why? They are way past their creative prime, when wasn't all that great the first time." I think they are much better now than in the past! Not great, but several songs rock!

You can stream it before it is officially released here:
http://www.therattpack.com/board_posts/listen-to-infestation-here

Kazz
April 19th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I'm listening to the new Ratt, and I'm really surprised how much better it is than I'd ever have guessed. When I read that they had a new release, I thought, "Why? They are way past their creative prime, when wasn't all that great the first time." I think they are much better now than in the past! Not great, but several songs rock!

You can stream it before it is officially released here:
http://www.therattpack.com/board_posts/listen-to-infestation-here

Wow.....almost sounds like Robbin Crosby is back with us.