PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Question?

yeti66
February 7th, 2010, 04:48 PM
Hello All, the bottom tone control on my lp is loose and needs to be tightend down, how do you remove the volume/tone knobs? (without replacing them)! thanks.

ibanezjunkie
February 7th, 2010, 05:04 PM
the knobs, unless you can see little screws in there, should just pull off.

(heh, thats what she said(minus the screws.))

underneath the knob is the pot (potentiometer) but you already know that.

ZMAN
February 7th, 2010, 07:22 PM
There are a couple of ways. Some put a flat shoe lace under the knob and gently pull up. i have use a butter knife with some tape on it so as to not scratch the guitar and gently pry it up while rotating the knob. You need even pressure all around. They should just pull straight up if your fingers are strong enough.
The Pot is probably loose. There is a retaining collar nut that holds it in place.
I would make sure you pull the back cover. If the pot is loose it may have rotated and the wires could be touching or tangled up. Just make sure when you reinstall the control that it is oriented the same as the other one.
I usually turn them full off and put the knob back on.
It isn't hard.
Does you LP have the pointers on it? They don't pull up so don't try.

Spudman
February 7th, 2010, 09:09 PM
A t-shirt, cloth or shoelace under the knob - then lifting firmly but gently should do the trick.

Plank_Spanker
February 9th, 2010, 05:18 PM
A t-shirt, cloth or shoelace under the knob - then lifting firmly but gently should do the trick.

Exactly what I've done (T shirt). Work the knob back and forth with your hand as you pull up. Just be patient and work slowly. Some of the knobs are really tight.

yeti66
February 10th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks All, sadly though nothings working:thwap and I see no screw! I just dont get it. its like the knobs glued on?

Plank_Spanker
February 10th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Loop a wide shoe string under the knob. Pull up hard while working the knob side to side / back and forth with your free hand.

The knob is just a friction fit.