PDA

View Full Version : The woes of a Les Paul

mainestratman
February 8th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Well gang, it finally happened.. my plastic jack plate finally cracked.. the jack itself has loosened up, ie. if I don't wrap my cable around the body side strap, it will fall out.

So.. do I replace the plastic with metal? And how can I "tighten up" my jack?

ZMAN
February 8th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Since it is a Gibson I would go with a replacement Gibson plate. I always wrap my cord through the strap. It is way too easy to step on the cord and yank it.

Brian Krashpad
February 8th, 2010, 01:19 PM
Since it is a Gibson I would go with a replacement Gibson plate. I always wrap my cord through the strap. It is way too easy to step on the cord and yank it.

Known in some circles as the "cable dance." I always loop too.

mainestratman
February 8th, 2010, 01:43 PM
I used to loop it, but I kept killing cables doing it.

A no-win, I reckon. I probably should rather go through a few $10 First Act cables a month than having to place Genuine Gibson parts.

It doesn't matter onstage though, since I'm wireless.

Commodore 64
February 8th, 2010, 02:12 PM
I like soldering. I love it when friends bring over their guitars and need the jack fixed.

As for the jackplate...does anyone really care if it's a genuine Gibson? Can you even really tell?

mainestratman
February 8th, 2010, 02:29 PM
It's the first ding on my guitar.. it's taking some getting used to...

Commodore 64
February 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
That's one reason why I prefer to buy used, beat-up guitars.

mainestratman
February 8th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I thought about going the used route, but I didn't want buy someone else's problems.

ZMAN
February 8th, 2010, 08:59 PM
really[/I] care if it's a genuine Gibson? Can you even really tell?

Gibson Jackplate 5.99.
Dimarzio Metal plate 11.50.
It is not a big deal either way.
Are the screw holes damaged? If not it is an easy fix. I don't think you even need to solder.

mainestratman
February 9th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Yeah.. I'm gonna get a metal plate.

mrmudcat
February 9th, 2010, 06:56 AM
http://store.gibson.com/Products/Hardware/Mounting/Jack-Plate-Gold.aspx

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/DiMarzio-Gibson-Style-Metal-Jack-Plate?sku=364738&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26024599

:cool:

Plank_Spanker
February 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I used to loop it, but I kept killing cables doing it.

A no-win, I reckon. I probably should rather go through a few $10 First Act cables a month than having to place Genuine Gibson parts.

It doesn't matter onstage though, since I'm wireless.

I've been looping cables behind the strap for over 25 years and I've never killed a cable doing it.

As far as replacing the jackplate, a new Gibson plate won't set you back a fortune.

Loose jack - if the wires are still intact, all you have to do is bend the arm going to the tip just enough to ensure the plug makes firm contact. If the arm is cracked, it's an easy replacement.

Dings on guitars - going to happen on guitars that actually get played regularly..........................no way around it. Just accept it, move on, and rock out! Gibsons were meant to played and played hard - do that guitar justice. :dude

mainestratman
February 9th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the advice all. I'm hitting the local-ish music store tomorrow.. hopefully they'll have the plate in stock.

And yeah.. I know guitars get dings.. the first is the hardest. :-)

Plank_Spanker
February 10th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Let us know how it works out for you.

mainestratman
February 10th, 2010, 08:09 PM
No plates in stock.. so they ordered a chrome one for me. :-)