PDA

View Full Version : Eminence 67-6935

sunvalleylaw
February 8th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Anyone know anything about a 10" speaker with the number above? I was able to piece together from the Eminence site that 67 designates Eminence, and that 69 may designate the year. I have no idea what the 35 means.

The code EM10-8 was also stamped on the metal surround on the speaker as well. These are the speakers that are in the 1961 Fender Concert that I just received. I am running down what all is in this very nice amph.

Bloozcat
February 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
My best advice Steve, would be to e-mail Eminence and ask them. They have been very responsive to my inquiries every time I've contacted them.

One thing I do know from past Eminence inquiries: Often times people will "assume" that because a Fender speaker (or other amp brand) is made by Eminence; and it looks "just like" a particular speaker made by and labled as an Eminence; it doesn't mean that the speaker is that Eminence labeled speaker. Usually the amp manufacturer and Eminence work together to produce a speaker with particular features that supposedly compliment the amp it's intended to go in. At least that's the official explanation. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this is done to maintain the uniqueness of the Eminence labeled line of speakers.

A couple cases in point: Because Eminence makes a speaker for Fender that looks just like a Legend 125, there are those who assume it is a Legend 125 and spread that rumor. Eminence has told me that the speakers in question are not, in fact, Legend 125's but a "special design" made for Fender by Eminence. To further that fact, I have replaced these supposed "Fender Legend 125's" with the real thing, and the sound of the real Legend 125 is far better than the Fender speaker. Same with the 12" speakers found in Crate Vintage Club 20 and Vintage Club 30 amps. It's a popular myth on the web that these are Eminence GB12 speakers. In an e-mail inquiry I sent, Eminence has confirmed that these speakers are in fact, a "special design" made for Crate. Although similar to the GB12, it's not the same animal. Again, having replaced the OEM Crate/Eminence speakers with actual GB12's have proven this to be true. The GB12 is far superior in tone to the OEM Crate.

Kind of a long winded explanation, but when delving into the "who makes what/what is it" realm of speakers, it's anything but simple and concise.

sunvalleylaw
February 9th, 2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks Bloozcat. That is a nice explanation and suggestion.

ZMAN
February 9th, 2010, 09:21 AM
I would say it is an OEM speaker as Boozecat mentioned that was made by Eminmence for Fender. If I know Eminence the EM10-8 is their serial for an eminence 10" 8 ohm speaker. IF it is the orginal speaker they may be a very good quality speaker. I would not think that 40 plus years ago that Eminence would be making more than one series of speakers. The later models are a different story. I have a set of Eminence Legend V1216s in my Avatar cab and they are really sweet.

Bloozcat
February 9th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I would say it is an OEM speaker as Boozecat mentioned...

:rollover :rotflmao:

I'll drink to that! :beer:

M29
February 9th, 2010, 11:35 AM
:happy :rollover

sunvalleylaw
February 9th, 2010, 02:22 PM
:happy :rollover
:applause :bootyshake :AOK

I enjoyed that chuckle!

ZMAN
February 9th, 2010, 02:42 PM
I am still hung over from the super bowl. I WAS a boozecat. Must have affected my fingers as well.

sunvalleylaw
February 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM
My best advice Steve, would be to e-mail Eminence and ask them. They have been very responsive to my inquiries every time I've contacted them.

One thing I do know from past Eminence inquiries: Often times people will "assume" that because a Fender speaker (or other amp brand) is made by Eminence; and it looks "just like" a particular speaker made by and labled as an Eminence; it doesn't mean that the speaker is that Eminence labeled speaker. Usually the amp manufacturer and Eminence work together to produce a speaker with particular features that supposedly compliment the amp it's intended to go in. At least that's the official explanation. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if this is done to maintain the uniqueness of the Eminence labeled line of speakers.

A couple cases in point: Because Eminence makes a speaker for Fender that looks just like a Legend 125, there are those who assume it is a Legend 125 and spread that rumor. Eminence has told me that the speakers in question are not, in fact, Legend 125's but a "special design" made for Fender by Eminence. To further that fact, I have replaced these supposed "Fender Legend 125's" with the real thing, and the sound of the real Legend 125 is far better than the Fender speaker. Same with the 12" speakers found in Crate Vintage Club 20 and Vintage Club 30 amps. It's a popular myth on the web that these are Eminence GB12 speakers. In an e-mail inquiry I sent, Eminence has confirmed that these speakers are in fact, a "special design" made for Crate. Although similar to the GB12, it's not the same animal. Again, having replaced the OEM Crate/Eminence speakers with actual GB12's have proven this to be true. The GB12 is far superior in tone to the OEM Crate.

Kind of a long winded explanation, but when delving into the "who makes what/what is it" realm of speakers, it's anything but simple and concise.

Below in Italics is the very nice response from Anthony at Tech Support for Eminence. In a separate email, he clarified that "Blue Frames" are speakers made by Eminence and Jensen for Fender. Nice to get the info, and thanks Anthony and Boozecat! (snicker snicker :AOK )

Hi Steve,

Nice amp! Unfortunately, there's not much to be found on speakers that old. They were manufactured the 45th week of 1969. I would assume the "-8" means they are 8 ohm. The magnet is definitely Alnico and I believe I can see the old, vintage seamed cone, that we still use today. It really looks like an earlier version of the Fender Blue frame speakers, if you're familiar. But the '61 amp and '69 speakers says to me that they are not likely original. I'm not sure if we made EM10-8 for Fender or not. I can't find any record on it in our archives.

Regards,

Anthony Lucas
Technical Support
Eminence Speaker LLC

Bloozcat
February 16th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Anthony Lucas is the man at Eminence speakers. If anybody knows about Eminence speakers, it's him. When I first got my Epi Blues Custom 30, I e-mailed him about the never before seen Eminence Lady Luck speakers that came as OEM with the amp. Anthony kindly sent the full specs on the speakers along with an explanation of joint effort between Epi and Eminence in designing this speaker to compliment the new line of Epi amps.