PDA

View Full Version : Help, My amps is broken

Darren James
February 9th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Hey everyone,

So yesterday I turned on my amp and there was a problem. Only one setting on the one channel is working. I own a mesa boogie dual rec. and there are three channels in total and each channel has three settings. The only channel that is working is channel two and the only setting that is working on it is the modern setting.(there is modern,vintage and raw) When I turn to the other channel like clean or even just another setting on the same channel it just produces a humming noise, kind of like a vibration sound? Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? I'm kind of tight for cash and I am now worried about the cost to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Darren

tunghaichuan
February 9th, 2010, 06:19 PM
The easiest thing to try is to replace all the 12AX7 tubes in the preamp. If that cures the problem, then you're set. If it doesn't then you likely have another problem, and it might cause the good 12AX7s to fail.

If one setting on one channel is working, it sounds like the power amp is okay. Does the amp sound normal on that setting?

The bad thing about Mesa/Boogie amps is that they have tightly packed printed circuit boards, (PCBs) and are hard to work on. So a tech with lots fo PCB experience is a must, but the best bet is actually sending it to Boogie to have them work on it.

You might call Boogie up and ask to talk to a tech. They are probably well aware of things that go wrong with their amps and will be able to tell you if it is a simple fix or if it something that will require a bit of cash outlay.

Hey everyone,

So yesterday I turned on my amp and there was a problem. Only one setting on the one channel is working. I own a mesa boogie dual rec. and there are three channels in total and each channel has three settings. The only channel that is working is channel two and the only setting that is working on it is the modern setting.(there is modern,vintage and raw) When I turn to the other channel like clean or even just another setting on the same channel it just produces a humming noise, kind of like a vibration sound? Does anyone have any ideas of what might be going on? I'm kind of tight for cash and I am now worried about the cost to fix it. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Darren

Darren James
February 9th, 2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes it does sound normal on the channel that works. I think I'll make a call to boogie tomorow.

Darren