PDA

View Full Version : Basic backing tracks setup...?

poodlesrule
February 10th, 2010, 01:26 PM
I am at a point where I need take my learning/practice more seriously (and not drool over more guitars, as seen in another thread!), and do not have much of a set up at the moment.

What would be a basic setup for using backing tracks and tune playback?

Some considerations:
- need to be somewhat portable, at least some of it -will be practicing in two locations
- I have no need for recording, other that into a looper, for learning, maybe?
- possible expansion, when then skill level warrants it?
- I could use fresh hardware, I dunno, newer CD player, notebook/hard drive, what have you, as I have a fleet of old PC's and such...

lespaulgb
February 10th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I use a Pocket Pod; it's hand held and you can plug your MP3/ipod in to jam along to. The main drawback is that it's battery hungry, so get some decent rechargable ones if you haven't already.

You didn't mention if you want to create your own backing tracks; it's more expensive but I've heard good reviews for the Micro BR; with that you have the advantage of being able to record your own backing tracks/jaming sessions. I think you may be able to export backing tracks on to it. :)

ZMAN
February 10th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I have gone from the basics to modern tech. I used to use cassette tapes with backing tracks. Then I went to the CDs on the various teaching books/CDs out there. Then I used the MP3 capabilities of my Ipod. In my music room I have a Sony boom box with the external speakers, and a remote. I used to use both the cd function and the tape to learn songs.
I also have a 5.1 surround system with a wide screen and DVD. I use the ipod to download backing tracks and then play them through the 5.1 system.
I haven't gone computer yet, but I do use it to load my CDs and Ipod.
I have a good selection of guitars and amps and it is a blast to learn and play along with the tunes.
I think the huge thing is that you can get YOUR tone, and technique. I have heard a lot of different takes on a standard backing track. It amazed me on how many different styles came from the track. It just shows that you don't have to copy anyone, just put your input into it.
I also am a huge fan of "As recorded" tablature. You get an album you like and get the guitar tab for it. They are usually note for note transcriptions of the original artist's work. You get the album, play it , play the tabs, rewind and then try again. It is a great ego booster when you can do it like your favourites.

peachhead
February 10th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I was using an old portable Cd player that I have had for a while, going headphone out to my amp's CD in. Backing track volume was controlled by the player so I could control how much I could hear of what.
Recently I got a new mp3 player and I just use it instead of the CD player, but same setup.
That's one of the reasons I like my little Peavey- the CD input makes it easy, and cheap.
Note that I do not create my own backers though.

Ch0jin
February 10th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I use a Pocket Pod, Ipod and HD201 cans to jam along to BT's. I can have the sound belting in my headphones without making a whole lot of noise, and the POD amp models are great!

When I want to record my jams with BT's I'd just plug headphone out of the POD to Line In on my ancient laptop and headphones into the laptop.

Here's a pretty terrible example, but this is guitar into pocket POD and ipod into pocket POD and Pocket POD into my old laptop running Audacity to give you an idea what you can do really simply.

CLICK (http://www.box.net/shared/vxj4zh6ix9)

It's actually just my old squire before I swapped out the pickups and there's a hum from the laptop power pack, but this was just a quick cut to explain to a mate how I thought the solo in this BFMV song should have been like, not intended for public consumption haha. (I'm sure I posted this link before so apologies to anyone who sat through that mess twice haha)

Moander
June 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I download backing tracks in MP3, play 'em on my computer, and jam along on my little 20w practice amp in the same room....

ZMAN
October 27th, 2010, 06:16 AM
I have a mixer w/output to a 100 watt stereo power amp and computer input. I use a GNX4 into the mixer. The GNX4 has an onboard 8 track recorder/looper, midi drum machine, and MP3 player. I also have a pedalboard (English Muff'n, Big Muff, J&H, H20, EQ, etc...) into a head w/ 2x12 cab miced into the mixer. In addition I have a drum machine into the mixer and a computer so it can play backing tracks with software for phrase looping/tempo and pitch.

check this: piano notes (http://takelessons.com/category/piano-lessons) compared to guitar notes

I guess that is a pretty "basic setup" LOL.

Ch0jin
October 27th, 2010, 03:31 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA nice...