Robert
February 10th, 2010, 10:49 PM
Coming out in March.

Read about it on http://www.johnhiatt.com

The Open Road is the title.

kidsmoke
February 11th, 2010, 04:11 AM
With the Dickinson Boys. :applause :dude

THAT should be something special. Thanks for the heads up!

Jipes
February 11th, 2010, 04:35 AM
A new album from Hiatt is always some good news I love his voice :AOK

tjcurtin1
February 11th, 2010, 08:05 PM
I see he's been touring in Europe with Lyle Lovett - that would be a cool show to see! I'll be seeing him with his touring band, I guess.

I recently did a blitz of Hiatt albums; had to buy some used as they are not in print currently.Some terrific albums, some lukewarm, but all with at least a few really good songs. I had 'Slow Turning' and Bring the Family' which are both great, and discovered new favorites in 'Perfectly Good Guitar', 'Master of Disaster', 'Crossing Muddy Waters', and 'Walk On'. 'Tiki Bar' was mixed for me, a couple of good songs, the rest not up to Hiatt's best. 'Riding with the King' was quite a surprise - Hiatt sounding like the young Elvis Costello - much of which didn't work for me, especially the first half, which is a different band than the second. I'm still out on 'Beneath This Gruff Exterior', which hasn't reached out and grabbed me the first couple of listens. The same was true of 'Same Old Man', but I only got one listen of that and have to borrow it again from my brother. I did really enjoy watching the DVD that came with that album of some live performances. Does anyone have any other favorite Hiatt albums to recommend?

Edit: I forgot 'Stolen Moments' which also has some fine songs on it.

Robert
February 11th, 2010, 08:45 PM
You've pretty much mentioned the best ones. Stolen Moments is one of the best too. His early material is plain weird, if you ask me.

kidsmoke
February 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM
An absolute MUST, especially for electric guitarists, is his live album "Hiatt comes alive at Budokan"

In typical Hiatt deadpan, he's parodying (is that a word?) "Frampton Comes Alive" and "Cheap Trick at Budokan", which of course are MAMMOTH recordings of huge shows. The entire tour was recorded in little bars across the country. No halls whatsoever. Ironically, by this time, he had had two songs go Gold for other performers, Angel Eyes by the Jeff Healy band , and Let's Give them Something to talk about by Bonnie Raitt, yet most of America had no idea who he was. He does both of those tunes HIS way on this album. Really it's a must have.

FANTASTIC small club recordings with the Guilty Dogs, a small rock trio, backing him up. The Guitarist, a guy named Michael Ward, absolutley owns this album. Well, no, he shares it with Hiatts stellar song writing.

The raw tone on this record still sets the bar for sound I go after often.

Did I mention I'm a fan? Can't wait to hear what he does with the Dickinson Bros. Hiatt knows what a guitar and amp are for. Remember, he use to tour with Sonny Landreth as his guitarist. I'm hoping he lets 'em rip.

Robert
February 11th, 2010, 11:34 PM
Yes, that live album is killer good! My number 1 hiatt album I think.

kidsmoke
February 12th, 2010, 06:28 AM

:AOK
yep.

tjcurtin1
February 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Glad to hear it - I saw a review of it somewhere that panned it, so I had passed it by; I'll check it out, specially it it's ya'lls #1!

kidsmoke
February 13th, 2010, 11:53 AM
do Check it out. A couple of the tunes were recorded right up the road from you at the Strand in Providence.

My Bro raised his kids out Meadow Rd near the airport for 15 years. I Love that area.

Robert
March 2nd, 2010, 03:46 PM
It's out today. Downloading from iTunes as I type.... :)

Jipes
March 3rd, 2010, 08:26 AM
I would rather vote for Bring the family because the crew is just unbelievable with Keltner, Lowe and more important Ry Cooder :AOK

tjcurtin1
April 18th, 2010, 04:52 PM
I recently got the latest Hiatt album, and I would say that I really like this one. Good solid songs, not necessarily his best writing, but good nonetheless and easy to listen to repeatedly, and the delivery by him and the Combo (not the Dickenson's btw, but Patrick O'Hearn on bass, Kenny Blevins on drums and Doug Lancio on guitars) is top-notch. Some heartfelt road-weary vocals on a lot of these songs, honest and gritty, and the sound production of the band and the playing fits that tone. I think that it's definitely worth buying if you like Hiatt.

I also got the live album, and while it's interesting to compare, somehow I prefer the original recordings in most cases - maybe it's because I just heard him live and that experience is stronger.