PDA

View Full Version : NGD for Valentine's Day

Tig
February 12th, 2010, 03:51 PM
After several A/B playing with this CV 50's, a white CV 50's, and a red CV 60's Strat, it all came down to which one felt right. I really wanted the white one, but the neck didn't feel as good. I've always wanted a burst Strat, so I'm happy. Too bad I have to work tonight instead of play it, but there will be time.

Introducing the new family member...

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4009/4351563251_e37d38b400_o.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4351563027_009148c8b5_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4351562919_066a20d14c_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2711/4352309864_727d08a17e_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4065/4352309906_2f37699821_o.jpg

ZMAN
February 12th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Welcom to the club tig. This one will be a keeper. But watch for a discontinuation of the CV line when the US guys realize the footshot they gave themselves.
The Custom Tele is even nicer!

tjcurtin1
February 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Woohoo! I love those tinted maple necks - love the color and the wood on them is a beautiful smooth grain - wonder where that maple comes from? Have fun!

Tig
February 12th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I realized that this is the first new guitar I've ever owned. All the others were bought used via pawn/ebay/guitar shops.

I really like this guitar now that I've played it a bit. It is my Valentines present, so maybe it should be called "Valentina". I've never named any of my guitars before. Maybe because they were already "used"?! LOL :p

Spudman
February 12th, 2010, 11:15 PM
I can't believe a dealer still had the 0912 serial numbers left in stock especially after the recall. Is your neck tight? Are all 4 screws intact?

I'm joking. Congratulations. I think you'll enjoy that for a long time to come. She's a beauty.

bigoldron
February 13th, 2010, 08:02 AM
That's really nice Tig! I know you'll be happy. The last time I was at my favorite mom & pop store, I tried all their Strats, just killing time and wishing, and they had a CV50 similar to yours except it had a rosewood fretboard (which I prefer) and honestly, it felt better than any of them, including the American Strats...

Enjoy her!!! :happy :applause :rockon: :dude

duhvoodooman
February 13th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Sweet looking axe there, Tig--congrats!! :dude :AOK Assuming she sounds as good as she looks--and everything I've read about the CV's says that's so--you've got a real winner there!

Note to all other Fretters: I'm starting a collection to pay Sunvalleylaw gas money & a modest stipend to drive over from Ketchum to Pocatello and kick Spudman in the *** everytime he trots out that "recall" joke.... :thwap :nono: :spank: Who's onboard??

sumitomo
February 13th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Wait a minute Vood,I'm glad I listened because mine had the rotten poplar neck,man it's amazing how a little stain and some varnish can cover up,I'd get that checked out.Sumi:D

Tig
February 13th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Wait a minute Vood,I'm glad I listened because mine had the rotten poplar neck,man it's amazing how a little stain and some varnish can cover up,I'd get that checked out.Sumi:D

Yup, I already had to return mine because of excessive wood rot. Dang woodpeckers were hovering outside my window every time I played it. :thwap

sunvalleylaw
February 13th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Sweet looking axe there, Tig--congrats!! :dude :AOK Assuming she sounds as good as she looks--and everything I've read about the CV's says that's so--you've got a real winner there!

Note to all other Fretters: I'm starting a collection to pay Sunvalleylaw gas money & a modest stipend to drive over from Ketchum to Pocatello and kick Spudman in the *** everytime he trots out that "recall" joke.... :thwap :nono: :spank: Who's onboard??

I'd almost do it for free, but given economic conditions, the gas money at least would be appreciated. Or I could invite him over here and kick his butt skiing again. :bootyshake :crazyguy

Tig, that axe looks really nice! Congrats!

Duffy
February 13th, 2010, 08:56 PM
Tig, dude, I have a CV fifties just like your burst.

Great guitar, played it last night. Tonight my law suit Ibanez destroyer, sounds great too.

By the way, I picked up a amber pearl pickguard and spring cover for my burst CV at Grizzly, the tool place, for like fifteen dollars. Looks super great on the CV burst. I'll post a picture or two.

I don't like the white ones much, unless, like my Squire Deluxe strat, the body is white as well.

That amber pearl guard is awesome in my hands. That's a great guitar, sounding, feeling, etc. I have a new fifties in Lake Placid Blue that I had a aged pearl white pickguard loaded with a brand new set of Fender Custom Shop Texas Specials put on before I took it home. Big investment but I love it. New caps because of the Texas Specials, different value, a new premium five way switch and new output plug. Beefed it up before I took it home, it sounds, looks, and feels great plus has a specialness to it that only comes from developing, successfully, an idea that you put together in your mind and had it come to fruition with a really good feeling ensuing.

I'm keeping the burst fifties stock and it sounds incredible with the stock pickups.

Congrats on the new fifties from someone who has a stock one just like it. You might like the Grizzly amber pearl guard as well. Just a tip.

Tig
February 13th, 2010, 10:40 PM
By the way, I picked up a amber pearl pickguard and spring cover for my burst CV at Grizzly, the tool place, for like fifteen dollars.

You might like the Grizzly amber pearl guard as well. Just a tip.

I forgot about Grizzly.com. I was just reading that Josh Gomme love their cheap, failing amps, and uses them to record with!

Thanks for the tip. I found plenty of pick guards at http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2010/Main/378 and http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=pick%20guard

Duffy
February 14th, 2010, 01:28 AM
My amber pearl type guard gives the sunburst a real nice compliment, believe it or not. I will post some pictures. It gives it a complimentary caramel type vibe that just isn't conveyed by the pure white guard.

I haven't seen amber pearl pickguards at any of the usual sources, ever, I don't believe. Grizzly really surprised me and they had some other decent looking parts as well.

Unexpectedly I also sprang for a really heavy duty cordura gig bag that is green and orange I think and super heavy duty with like thirty millimeters of padding per side including the top and bottom and backpack straps and a handle and lots of useable zippered storeage areas. Great gig bag for like fourty dollars. Definitely worth taking a look at if you are looking for a decent gig bag without paying a fortune.

Eric
February 22nd, 2010, 09:25 PM
Note to all other Fretters: I'm starting a collection to pay Sunvalleylaw gas money & a modest stipend to drive over from Ketchum to Pocatello and kick Spudman in the *** everytime he trots out that "recall" joke.... Who's onboard??
Before I finished reading the sentence, I read that as "GAS money." It made virtually no sense to me for the remaining 2-3 seconds.