PDA

View Full Version : 12 inch radius on a Tele?

M29
February 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
What do you guys think of a 12 inch radius on Fender necks? I like real low action and I am thinking about going with 12 inch this time. I had a compound raidus Warmoth neck and it was nice but I am not that keen on a real flat board.

TIA

M

guitardan777
February 23rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
What do you guys think of a 12 inch radius on Fender necks? I like real low action and I am thinking about going with 12 inch this time. I had a compound raidus Warmoth neck and it was nice but I am not that keen on a real flat board.

TIA

M

I like 12" on a Fender or anyother brand cause it's great for all styles of playing....i.e. chording, bending. The shredders like a real flat board 16 - 20"
Having both a 12" and a 14" on my 2 Carvin's, me likes the 12" better.
Just more comfy IMHO...

my $0.02

Bloozcat
February 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
My personal favorite is 10", but a 12" is great also (and doesn't feel that much different). Always loved the LP actions and they're 12".

M29
February 23rd, 2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys that is what I was wondering. I can get a nice low action with my Epi LP and pretty close with my Strat neck which is a 9.5 but the Strat is not as close as the Epi.

Katastrophe
February 23rd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I too like the 9.5" on my Strat, but am not getting the string height as low as I would like.

Try the 12".

kiteman
February 27th, 2010, 07:13 AM
My first guitar (epi tele) has a 16" radius and it felt pretty flat for me. My next guitar has a 12" radius and it felt a lot better. My last two guitars (Carvin) have 10" radius and that's even better.

I'm afraid to try a 7.25" radius. :help

markb
February 28th, 2010, 04:17 PM
What do you guys think of a 12 inch radius on Fender necks?

ABOMINATION!!!! St. Leo decreed a 7.25" radius and thus it should always be now and hereafter, amen!

Seriously, use whatever you like. I had a tele with a Warmoth compound neck for a brief spell around 1990 but never really bonded with it. I find chunkier necks more managable with a flatter board. My tele has a big 50s U neck and a 9.5" board.

Bloozcat
March 2nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Everyone has his preference. I really like the feel of a 10" radius with a soft V neck back. Good enough radius for low action and string bending while still comfortable for chording; thick enough neck where thickness is needed to limit hand fatigue.

I've often wondered what USACG's 7-1/4"-9-1/2" compound radius is like. Anyone try one of those?

M29
March 2nd, 2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks guys!!

I missed out on a 12 inch radius neck for my Tele project because I was not happy with the grain pattern. I ended up getting a 9 1/2 inch radius. I already have a 9 1/2 which I am comfortable with but I really like the lower action I can get with a flatter board. I really have enough guitars around and this will do fine.

Blooz. Now a 7 1/4 inch radius is something I have not experienced yet either. I really need to seek one out to try.

M

Bloozcat
March 2nd, 2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks guys!!

I missed out on a 12 inch radius neck for my Tele project because I was not happy with the grain pattern. I ended up getting a 9 1/2 inch radius. I already have a 9 1/2 which I am comfortable with but I really like the lower action I can get with a flatter board. I really have enough guitars around and this will do fine.

Blooz. Now a 7 1/4 inch radius is something I have not experienced yet either. I really need to seek one out to try.

M

I had an old '66 Strat that had a 7-1/4" radius. Comfortable for chording, especially low on the neck. But, it did fret out badly with a low action. That's why many older players got used to higher actions...because of the old Strats and Teles they played. Many say that a Strat just doesn't sound like a Strat without the action being higher. I don't know if that's all that true.

kiteman
March 2nd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I only know that a high action allows the notes in the upper registers to ring clean. I set mine where it rings clean at next to the last fret. On some of my guitars the action wasn't too high and those are my better guitars.