PDA

View Full Version : Attn Strummy: AD30VT as a Cab

marnold
February 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Mark/Strummy,

I know you modded your AD30VT to be a cab for a Blackheart. I just wondered what you thought of it now that you've had a good amount of time to use it that way. The reason I ask is because I might have a reason to do something similar. I could potentially afford a certain head, but I'm not sure if I can swing the cab right now. Potentially. Hypothetically.

Anybody else who would want to chime in on this potentially hair-brained scheme is welcome to.

just strum
February 13th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I have no issues with the setup. I use it with the BH5 and when I want to use the AD30VT, I just unplug the BH5 and use a jumper cable to make use of the Vox. I don't hear any loss in sound and it obviously save money.

The other nice thing, when I take it to a friends house, I am able to transport two amps and provides me with more options.

ZMAN
February 14th, 2010, 09:24 AM
This is sort of off topic, but last year I found an Avatar 2/12 Cab quite reasonably priced. Some lucky guy had received two for Christmas from different relatiives, and sold one for a great price.
I found it to be one of the most versatile pieces of equipmnet I own. All of my amps have extension speaker capabilites and I have used it with all of them.
My DSL 401 Marshall is a great combo, but the internal speaker actually rattles the tubes. I get a glassy tone when I use it. If I unplug the internal and use the cab it sounds amazing. I have also used my Blues junior through it and the tone just jumps up twenty notches.
You can get their budget cab with just about any speaker combo for under 400. Also they are very well made and not fibreboard like a lot of budget cabs.
The only issue you might have going the other route is matching the speaker ohms to the amp itself. A lot of combo amps have different ohm loads.
You could damage the amp.