PDA

View Full Version : capos

slewis206
February 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Hello folks,

I was wondering if any of you have noticed the difference between a "nicely tuned" guitar and that same guitar with a capo on the neck at the second fret?

I have learned, over time, how the finger pressure can change the pitch of a note. I have been trying to use a lighter touch for a number of years.

My question is: when using one of those Kyser capos, spring loaded and rubber padded, have you ever felt that the guitar was slightly out of tune? I have done informal tests and have found that the capo throws the guitar out of tune, on the sharp side.

Now,,,,is this a common thing,,,,or is my guitar out of whack? I have decent to spot on intonation. The guitar holds tune well except for the daily humidity and temperature changes down here in SW Fla. Guitar is a Washburn J28scedl with a Bob Colossi bone saddle. I have had it for four years and find that it is a worry free guitar.

I can put the guitar into perfect tune and then place the capo on the 4th fret and test the notes again with the electronic tuner and everything is skewed sharp? Is this Normal??

I also have a couple of those planet waves capos that you twist the thumbscrew to tighten and have found that I can control the pressure of the capo bar a little better. Get the strings tight enough to ring clear and not too tight to change the pitch.

Do the folks playing for money set their tuning and go? When they put on a capo, do they tune again? I have never seen that.

Questions??????

Thanks,

Steve

markb
February 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Kysers are really convenient for stage use but you've got to watch the positioning and also be careful that you don't pull strings sideways when fitting. I prefer Shubb capos for most things.
Sometimes I need to touch up the tuning after fitting a capo but if it goes out I'll release the capo and reposition more carefully as a first resort.

kidsmoke
February 15th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I prefer Shubb capos for most things.

+1