PDA

View Full Version : How do guitars die..?

poodlesrule
February 16th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Had this thought the other morning... how do most guitars die?

Also, what about the abundance of supply?
Will we reach saturation at some point, considering the Chinese factories are turning xxx instruments a week?

Bloozcat
February 16th, 2010, 12:26 PM

Will we reach saturation at some point, considering the Chinese factories are turning xxx instruments a week?

Not to worry...supply and demand will regulate that. But for now...

The hospitals are turning out more babies a year than factories are turning out guitars. However, the guitar consumption will probably shift to the third world with their higher birth rates as their standards of living rise.

The big guitar glut will occur in the US when the baby boomers die off, leaving a large supply of old stock on the market competing with the new stock being turned out. Lower US birth rate + an over-supply of guitars = a buyers market. Of course, by this time the Chinese will be like the Japanese of recent years, and will be buying up all the "vintage" US guitars left in the baby boomers' estates....:D

Yeah, I lie awake at night thinking about these things....;)

Katastrophe
February 16th, 2010, 01:35 PM

Guitars in their original state die through just plain ol' hard playing. Nuts and frets wear out. Necks can develop twists. Even a body's glued joints can separate. Pickups can go bad over time, too.

Or... they can die just from neglect, sitting in the back of a closet for decades.

Most of the stuff can be fixed, and a good guitar can last for a long, long time with a reasonable amount of care.

Will we reach saturation? I dunno. I think Blooz has it explained pretty well.

sumitomo
February 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Of course, by this time the Chinese will be like the Japanese of recent years, and will be buying up all the "vintage" US guitars left in the baby boomers' estates....:D

Like the days of finding old Harleys and Indians covered in old barns! I love finding treasures.Can't wait.:cool: Sumi:D

Ch0jin
February 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Like the days of finding old Harleys and Indians covered in old barns! I love finding treasures.Can't wait.:cool: Sumi:D

I believe the term is "Native American". ;)

(sorry couldn't resist)

Spudman
February 16th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Fortunately many guitars can be resurrected.
http://www.retroland.com/retrotalk/userfiles/10101643A~Boris-Karloff-The-Mummy-Posters.jpg

oldguy
February 16th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Most of them can live a pretty long life if Pete Townsend doesn't get his hands on them. Jimi tried to burn some to death.
The majority just want to be caressed until the layers peel away one by one and there's nothing left, or so they tell me.

peachhead
February 16th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Some die a hero's death at the hands of UPS. :messedup:

Spudman
February 17th, 2010, 12:02 AM
Some die a hero's death at the hands of UPS. :messedup:
That's the gospel truth. :beer:

UPS is the Al-Qaeda of shippers

oldguy
February 17th, 2010, 05:04 AM
I've had nothing but good luck with UPS as well as FedEx.
Like the airlines, I've heard the horror stories, but there again, nothing but positive experiences.
I guess the same could be said of MF, GC, Sam Ash, etc.
One bad apple seems to ruin it for the bunch.

kiteman
February 17th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Not to worry...supply and demand will regulate that. But for now...

The big guitar glut will occur in the US when the baby boomers die off, leaving a large supply of old stock on the market competing with the new stock being turned out. Lower US birth rate + an over-supply of guitars = a buyers market. Of course, by this time the Chinese will be like the Japanese of recent years, and will be buying up all the "vintage" US guitars left in the baby boomers' estates....:D

Gooood point! I'm a boomer and I have three custom made guitars and two tube amps. Who will get 'em when I'm gone?

Better prepare a will soon. :help

poodlesrule
February 17th, 2010, 08:20 AM
The majority just want to be caressed until the layers peel away one by one and there's nothing left, or so they tell me.

uh, oldguy got me distracted here.. what was the subject again?