PDA

View Full Version : Geez, what are the chances??

duhvoodooman
February 16th, 2010, 01:59 PM
About a year ago, I bought a used Boss BD-2 Blues Driver to do the Monte Allums "H2O Plus" mod on. Got it on eBay for $51.00 and $7.00 shipping. Love that pedal--most transparent overdrive I own; sounds particularly good with a Strat.

In the meantime, Monte came out with another BD-2 mod he calls the "Blues Stack Plus", and claims it sounds even better. On his "mods" webpage (http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#boss_bdbsPlus), he has a link to a video he recorded himself (Monte has some righteous chops!), playing a really nice homemade Strat through a couple of Fender amps (a Super Reverb and a Hot-Rod Deluxe) using this pedal, and it sounded GREAT. Sooooo.....

I decided I'd give that one a try, too, so I went after another used BD-2 on eBay over the weekend. Lost a couple of auctions, but third time through, I got one.....for $51.00. Shipping was $6.95. So I ended up buying two BD-2's on eBay almost a year apart, and the total difference in cost between the two was a nickel!

BTW, unless the two mods end up sounding quite a bit different, I doubt that I'll want to keep 'em both (though you never know!). If so, I told SVL he would have first refusal on whichever one I decide to sell. If he passes, I'll offer it here. Prolly $100 even....

Neal
February 17th, 2010, 03:15 PM
I did that double stack compressor mod, and It workes out pretty nice. I haven't modded any pedals lately, because I've went crazy wit them byoc pedals, thanks to you.

I'm on #6:drool

Commodore 64
February 17th, 2010, 03:57 PM
DVM...I have a BD-2. Please let me in on the mods! I want to do it too!

duhvoodooman
February 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Just check out the Allums link in my first post. The BD-2 mods are all described there. The "Blues Stack Plus" mod that I'm doing is $28 for parts and instructions.

mainestratman
February 17th, 2010, 04:26 PM
It was destiny!

No GAS alleviation today. *pout*

Neal
February 17th, 2010, 06:29 PM
:happy

Ch0jin
February 17th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Have you tried any of his MT-2 mods DVM?

I mean, I love my Metal Zone as is, but now my curiosity is piqued...

tunghaichuan
February 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
Have you tried any of his MT-2 mods DVM?

I mean, I love my Metal Zone as is, but now my curiosity is piqued...

I plan on trying out some of those Allums mods on one of my MT-2 pedals. In fact, I got a cheap (yet mint condition) pedal off of the Gear Page for $30 for just that purpose.

Ch0jin
February 17th, 2010, 09:47 PM
I plan on trying out some of those Allums mods on one of my MT-2 pedals. In fact, I got a cheap (yet mint condition) pedal off of the Gear Page for $30 for just that purpose.

Yeah thats where my mind is at too, grab another and try out the mods...

Commodore 64
February 18th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Ordered my kit today. The best thing about this is...I don't have to paint/decal an enclosure!

duhvoodooman
February 18th, 2010, 10:14 AM
The best thing about this is...I don't have to paint/decal an enclosure!
Aw c'mon, Comm-64! That's what separates the men from the boys!! :poke ;)

My eBay BD-2 and the Allums mod kit are both out for delivery today. :AOK :rockon:

duhvoodooman
February 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Received pedal & mod kit yesterday and did the mod last night. Posted results in the Mods & Projects forum, HERE (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?p=165818#post165818)....