PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Olympic Gold to Sweden today!

Robert
February 16th, 2010, 03:33 PM
The first came yesterday by Charlotte Kalla in the XC skiing for women.

Then just now, Bjorn Ferry won in the Biathlon pursuit! WOW!

This guy is from a place not that far from where I grew up myself.

I need to find a Swedish smiley....

http://www.unitedplanet.org/volunteer-in-sweden-long-term/images/swe-flag.gif
GO SWEDEN!

duhvoodooman
February 16th, 2010, 03:40 PM
Lemme get this right....the Winter Olympics are being held in the country in which you now live, and which has, for reasons unknown and unknowable to any of us here at TheFret, chosen not to deport you (yet), and you still root for Sweden without a word of support for Canada?? INGRATE!!!! :mad ;)

P.S. People have just been glued to their TV sets here in the US, waiting to see who would win the Biathlon Pursuit.... (yawn) :rolleyes: :sarcasm

Robert
February 16th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Nah, of course I cheer for Canada too, but this was very sweet, since Ferry has been in the local paper at home in Sweden forever, and I don't think anyone really expected him to win gold. He's like a local kid to me (or was, when I lived in Sweden). Very spectacular performance of him today.

It was great to see the Canadian win the Moguls and there will be lots of more golds to Canada, who is a very strong country in winter olympics.

If Canada and Sweden end up in the final hockey game, then I'll have to cheer for both! Not sure that can be done really... but you can imagine I would be somewhat of a minority here, cheering for Sweden, since I'm located in the Mecca of Hockey! :what

Tiny Sweden has 2 golds already - of course I'm PROUD!

http://www.unitedplanet.org/volunteer-in-sweden-long-term/images/swe-flag.gif

sunvalleylaw
February 16th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I am glad the Canadian mogul guy one. Not gunna get into a medal count thing here, as it is not the main point for me. I am looking forward to seeing some of those nordic performances. That sport is so beautiful!

sumitomo
February 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Helga in the Hammer Throw!!! Sumi:D

duhvoodooman
February 16th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I was STUNNED to see that Americans finished 2-4-6 in the Nordic Combined. I had no idea that the US had gotten anywhere near competitive in that event! Obviously that silver medal was no fluke....

marnold
February 16th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I was STUNNED to see that Americans finished 2-4-6 in the Nordic Combined.
The guy who got the silver was caught and beaten in the last 100 yards or so. First medal for the U.S. in Nordic Combined ever, and it's been in the Olympics since the beginning.

I wish I would have known before the third period that the USA v. Switzerland hockey game was on the USA Network. I didn't remember that that's a part of the NBC monolith.

Algonquin
February 17th, 2010, 10:24 AM
It's sportsmanship like this gesture by the Norweigan Coach in 2006 that make the games special for me.
e54EpbcK97o

Robert
February 17th, 2010, 10:30 AM
How much syrup would you like? I can send you some too! :D

SuperSwede
February 17th, 2010, 01:59 PM
The hockey has been very interesting so far!

tot_Ou_tard
February 18th, 2010, 06:39 AM
At the Canada V. Sweden Women's hockey game last night there was a toddler with a half Canada half Sweden sweatshirt on. One of his parents was Canadian and the other Swedish.

I tried googling it, but couldn't find a picture.

Carlström
February 18th, 2010, 06:51 AM
GO SWEDEN!!! :happy
(altough yesterday sucked from swedish point of view)

I'm hoping to get to fondle this years version of these babies!!

http://www.tomas-carlstrom.se/albumm2/slides/img_6211.jpg

(yes that's olympic hockey gold medals from 06 olympics, i had two of the hockey players as models for a fashion shoot...closest i'll ever get to the olympic golds!)

Robert
February 18th, 2010, 08:39 AM
(yes that's olympic hockey gold medals from 06 olympics, i had two of the hockey players as models for a fashion shoot...closest i'll ever get to the olympic golds!)

Cool! So you are professional photographer?

duhvoodooman
February 18th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Hey, let's hear it for those American kids yesterday! VONN!! DAVIS!! WHITE!! Triple gold!! :dude :happy :applause

GO USA!!!

Carlström
February 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Cool! So you are professional photographer?

well...yes and no.

I'm really an Art Director at a Advertising Agency, but I also freelance abit as photographer (these days mostly as concert photography and similar)

shameless plug for my photo page: www.tomas-carlstrom.se

marnold
February 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Were either of them Red Wings, perchance?

Carlström
February 19th, 2010, 12:01 AM
Were either of them Red Wings, perchance?

Actually they were two of the few non-nhl players in the national team, Stefan Liv and Mika Hannula , both played for the local team here in Jönköping at the time (Liv still does, he's over in the olympics this time aswell but probably be 3rd goalie after Lundqvist and the monster)

SuperSwede
February 19th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Actually they were two of the few non-nhl players in the national team, Stefan Liv and Mika Hannula , both played for the local team here in Jönköping at the time (Liv still does, he's over in the olympics this time aswell but probably be 3rd goalie after Lundqvist and the monster)

http://static.hockeyligan.se/upload/file/HV71_400px.gif

marnold
February 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Liv was a Red Wings prospect, although I'm not sure if they still have his rights or not in the NHL. I know that some people seemed pretty high on him when they drafted him.

Carlström
February 19th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Liv was a Red Wings prospect, although I'm not sure if they still have his rights or not in the NHL. I know that some people seemed pretty high on him when they drafted him.

he was over there for a year but didn't succeed very well in the red wings organisation. goalies got it difficult to make it since it's so few positions in the team (duh...) so i think it was simply that at the time he wasn't good enough. So he came back here to his hometown and took gold in the swedish league instead :dude

he is tempted to go abroad next season again, it'll probably be khl but maybe red wings still have some interest in him.

sunvalleylaw
February 26th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Man, Robert, I cannot believe you are not crowing about the Swedish success in the nordic events. It is amazing! Those guys are so great to watch. Picking of the perennial favorite Norwegians like that, and the tactics and race strategies, bold moves, etc. Hellner is a stud! Amazing!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-features/news/newsid=444076.html#sweden+sets+golden+standard

And the US nordic combined results also are stunning. So cool!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/nordic-combined/index.html Demong, Spillane and team rocked!

Given where you live, and your love for running, I cannot believe you are not way into this sport Robert!

Robert
February 26th, 2010, 11:56 AM
Yeah, Hellner has been amazing. I didn't really expect he would be THIS good. But both the mens and womens xc skiing teams have done amazingly well. Gold in the mens relay felt good for sure!

I'm of course hurt bad by the hockey fiasco... Sweden's hockey team lost it again, what a pity. Slovakia should not be a problem normally, but ...

So of course I will be cheering for Canada now! :) :french

Blaze
February 26th, 2010, 12:06 PM
So of course I will be cheering for Canada now! :) :french

Yep , 3rd in standing ,no wander you re cherring for Canada ,you ...

http://www.jo-2010.net/tableau-medaille-jo-vancouver-2010

sunvalleylaw
February 26th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I gotta pull for the US in hockey. Going up against Finland in the semis. It is not the same as in 1980 (I remember well watching those games as a kid), when the US players were really college age amateurs. Now that is largely a bunch of pros playing other pros with their country jerseys on, it loses some of the magic as far as I am concerned.

But nonetheless, go Team USA!