PDA

View Full Version : Car buying

Eric
February 18th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone,

Looks like my ol' Subaru might be at the tipping point of repair-vs.-value with $900+ required for it to pass inspection, so I'm thinking about other options.

Anyone have any good tips on which makes/models to look at? Some criteria (PLEASE READ!!):

Generally, I don't spend more than $4000 for a car. I know you probably think it's wise to spend more -- that's your thing.
I like good fuel economy, and I don't like gigantic cars. This 1997 Subaru Legacy Outback was on the large side for me.
I have no ego when it comes to cars. If it can get me where I want to go and doesn't cost me $$, I'm happy.
My previous cars were a 1994 Saturn SL, 1995 Pontiac Grand Am, 1998 Nissan Altima, 1993 Nissan Maxima, and 1988 Nissan Sentra, to give you some idea of where I tend to look.
My question here is related to value. I want the best car for my limited car budget, so it would include stuff like mileage, year, reliability, etc. for my fairly low amount of cash.

If you can help, that'd be great. I figure asking the braintrust can't be that bad of an idea.

Heywood Jablomie
February 18th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I recently bought a used Focus. I felt it was the best overall value in a small used car. And a helluva lot of fun to drive! Because there is a large inventory of them on the used market, it would be relatively easy to find a good one at the right price.

FYI, mine is a 2006 ZX3 SES (top trim line), with 28k miles, excellent condition. The only option it doesn't have is ABS. $8500 from a dealer.

$4,000 is easily do-able for an older one, but do avoid 2000-2001 models.

Good luck!

tunghaichuan
February 18th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Check out the April '09 issue of Consumer Reports. That is their annual car buying guide and have ratings on used cars.

Eric
February 18th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks. I'll check into both of those options.

FYI, I suppose I'm not completely married to the 4K number, but I have been able to find a lot in that range in the past.

hubberjub
February 18th, 2010, 02:04 PM
As someone who worked in the automotive industry for several years, I'd recommend a used Pontiac Vibe. It's actually a Toyota Matrix that's been rebadged as a Pontiac. Because it's a Pontiac it has depreciated much faster than it's Toyota sibling. It makes a great used car value. It's good on gas, reliable, and has a very useful amount of space. Also, don't be swayed by Toyota's current situation. They make a great car, they just got in trouble for doing the same thing all other manufacturers do. We've reached a point where technology is advancing at very fast rate and some testing isn't as in depth as it should be. Other companies are going to experience similar recalls in the near future.

FrankenFretter
February 18th, 2010, 03:40 PM
From personal experience, I'd highly recommend either a Toyota or a Honda. My Toyota Corolla ran forever, over 200,000 miles before I sold it. The Geo Prizm is also a Corolla, and can often be found for less than it's Toyota branded counterpart. Hondas usually run a little more, but as long as you don't buy the Accord, you should be fine. Accords seem to have problems for some reason, but my Civic is nearly bomb-proof. Good runner, great mileage and not too spendy to repair.

Eric
February 18th, 2010, 04:03 PM
From personal experience, I'd highly recommend either a Toyota or a Honda. My Toyota Corolla ran forever, over 200,000 miles before I sold it. The Geo Prizm is also a Corolla, and can often be found for less than it's Toyota branded counterpart. Hondas usually run a little more, but as long as you don't buy the Accord, you should be fine. Accords seem to have problems for some reason, but my Civic is nearly bomb-proof. Good runner, great mileage and not too spendy to repair.
Yeah I agree, but they're also heavily overvalued and I've found that people consistently charge an extra 20%+ (at least around here) because they know that for many people, they're the obvious option. Seems comparable to buying a Vox AC30 or something -- you know it's going to be great, but are they charging too much for that well-at-least-this-will-work attitude? Probably.

That's why stuff like the Geo and the Pontiac Vibe mentioned by HJ are good ideas. Good call on that, BTW.

wingsdad
February 18th, 2010, 09:56 PM
As someone who worked in the automotive industry for several years, I'd recommend a used Pontiac Vibe. ...
+1 on that. I have an '06 Vibe...I call it a Pontiota or Toyotiac.It's not on recall, by a long shot. Bought it new end of 06...traded in a 97 Saturn SC2 coupe that had replaced a 92 SL2 Sedan as part of the deal. My wife had a 98 SL1 sedan. Traded that in 05. (Had 94 Grand Am at one point, company car...so I know a bunch of the cars you've ahd, Eric).

Point is: I like this Vibe better than any of those for all the reason h-jub listed. Just look for 06 Matrix oil & air filters when you go to AutoZone or wherever, because the Vibe doesn't exist to FRAM.

deeaa
February 19th, 2010, 01:20 AM

heh, i never BUY a car with less than 200k on the clock. I now have 350k on my Peugeot STW and between 200 andthis theres been very little trouble. dead battery, new brake pads, stufflike that.

bigger french cars is whatt i like but its diffsrent here. they are cheap, never rust any and are usually good for 400k plus.

next car im thinking might be a little older mercedes,an E220 station and with under 400k on the clock. friend has one with 670k gone lready...

kiteman
February 19th, 2010, 06:46 AM
heh, i never BUY a car with less than 200k on the clock. I now have 350k on my Peugeot STW and between 200 andthis theres been very little trouble. dead battery, new brake pads, stufflike that.

bigger french cars is whatt i like but its diffsrent here. they are cheap, never rust any and are usually good for 400k plus.

next car im thinking might be a little older mercedes,an E220 station and with under 400k on the clock. friend has one with 670k gone lready...

Wow, that's some milage or is it kilometer? :)

street music
February 19th, 2010, 09:28 PM
I have my wife's 01 Toyota Camry LE 71500 miles on it for sale right now, I got her a new Camry for Valentine this year.

Heywood Jablomie
February 20th, 2010, 01:31 PM
I have my wife's 01 Toyota Camry LE 71500 miles on it for sale right now, I got her a new Camry for Valentine this year.
Looking for a new wife, huh?

kiteman
February 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Looking for a new wife, huh?

HUH?

Heywood Jablomie
February 20th, 2010, 04:07 PM
HUH?
Joke. I assume you're aware of the recalls......

kiteman
February 20th, 2010, 04:22 PM
No, I'm not. So they got a recall on wives? ;)

markb
February 20th, 2010, 05:50 PM

If only...

I'm here all week, don't forget to tip your waitress

Katastrophe
February 20th, 2010, 06:17 PM
I like looking at the Carmax website. No haggle pricing, and is generally fair. You can limit your search to a specific dollar amount. Then you know generally what cars would be available in your price range. If you find one in your price range, but out of your area, they will transport to the nearest dealer, for a fee, depending on the distance. Of course, you may be able to find a better deal elswhere through a private seller or another car lot. I just hate going to new car dealers.

You can verify your purchase price by going to kbb.com to look up the Kelley Blue Book value, and to websites like Edmunds.com for reviews and reliability ratings.

Heywood Jablomie
February 20th, 2010, 08:17 PM
I dunno, but if yours is like mine, she has TOTAL recall...