PDA

View Full Version : E Tuning Slide Lesson

Blaze
February 18th, 2010, 07:26 PM
As usual a cool lesson with master Arlen Roth..
He knows how to play with that slide , that s for sure..

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Lessons/Lesson-Of-The-Day/E-Tuning-Slide-In-Open-212/

tjcurtin1
February 19th, 2010, 07:39 PM
I love that kind of warm, just overdriven distortion - what a great sound, esp with the playing style there. Since he's not playing at a high volume here, what would anyone say is the way he is getting that sound?

mainestratman
February 19th, 2010, 08:52 PM
:beer:

Ch0jin
February 20th, 2010, 02:21 AM
I love that kind of warm, just overdriven distortion - what a great sound, esp with the playing style there. Since he's not playing at a high volume here, what would anyone say is the way he is getting that sound?

+1 I LOVE that kinda slide tone and would love to be able to emulate it!

I saw Mason Rack a couple of years back at a festival and they blew my mind. Whether he's playing a lap steel or slide on a Gretch, he has THE best slide tone I've ever heard. I don't know what pedals he's using, but I know he has an array of Fenders behind him, so I'm betting thats a pre-requisite for the sound. I think the lap guitar is a Weissenborn style, and I'd bet anything it was made here in Oz.

Check him out opening a set with a seven and a half minute version of LaGrange by ZZ Top.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuU0mT9hHd0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QuU0mT9hHd0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Man, if I could squeeze that sound out of my gear I'd never put the slide down. I seriously considered a lap guitar after seeing these guys live.

piebaldpython
February 20th, 2010, 04:19 PM
TJ....it's a combo of adding some gain via the amp or a pedal, a healthy dose of vibrato and holding off a bit on the dampening. Not saying it's easy.....but doable given a good bit of practice. :poke

ChoJin......Yeah, that's a Weiss, almost guaranteed to be Aussie or NZ made. The Aussies are making some fabulous laps.

I have 2 laps and love 'em. My recommendation would be to get an electric lap as opposed to what Mason Rack uses. It's easier to learn on, not as delicate and a lot less expensive. A decent tube amp, a decent OD pedal, a good slide and it's FUN-TIME.

Kazz
February 21st, 2010, 07:20 AM
Cho dude....you have earned your membership here for another year. WOW what a video. I had never heard of Mason Rack before but that was incredible. Obviously part of the fun of that video was watching the performance. You would lose alot of that if you were just hearing the audio. he not only plays....and plays very well....but he puts on a show with his playing. I will have to check out more of his stuff in the very near future. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Ch0jin
February 21st, 2010, 03:05 PM
Cho dude....you have earned your membership here for another year. WOW what a video. I had never heard of Mason Rack before but that was incredible. Obviously part of the fun of that video was watching the performance. You would lose alot of that if you were just hearing the audio. he not only plays....and plays very well....but he puts on a show with his playing. I will have to check out more of his stuff in the very near future. Thanks so much for sharing that.

You're most welcome Kazz. It's a shame, but the band only ever seems to tour within a very narrow section of the east coast of Oz. They did tour Canada a while ago though. I am really surprised that in the 3 years or so I've known about them they haven't really raised their profile significantly.

I'd have to assume it's intentional though, because Mason sure has the chops both vocally and guitar wise. Maybe he just wants to stay close to the best surf beaches here haha.

You're spot on with what you say about putting on a show. I remember being transfixed when he told the story of how he got through drugs and alcohol abuse, being tossed in prison for a time, and then launched into a song about it all. Talk about your blues!