PDA

View Full Version : Differences between audio interfaces

Robert
February 18th, 2010, 09:18 PM
How much difference would you notice in sound quality between a simple USB audio interface compared to a high quality FireWire interface? I currently use a tascam us122 and I've considered upgrading to an apogee duet. I suspect it would be better to spend the money on quality monitors instead? I have cheap monitors for under $100.

Spudman
February 18th, 2010, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure about interfaces but keep those monitors because in the future it's good to have multiple reference speakers to check your mixes with. If they are paid for keep them.

I don't think you'll notice a 'sound' difference between interfaces since it's just bits. THe preamps make the 'sound' difference. What you will get is better latency rates depending on what you go with. Many folks use USB without issues but I think I'd heard that for massive input data a fire wire interface would be better. Maybe someone else can chime in on this?

syo
February 18th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I don't think you'll notice a difference in sound quality between the two. The main difference is in the way data is transmitted. USB sends data in bursts of different speeds and Firewire data transmits in a steady stream. USB relies on the cpu for help whereas firewire uses the interface hardware which is more efficient. You can record more tracks with less latency/buffering issues with firewire.

I'm not too familiar with the two interfaces you are referring to but I have an Digi MBox USB and a Digi001 (firewire). Sound quality is pretty much the same. However I do have less issues with intermittent pops and crackles with the Digi001. But my 2 cents Robert, if your Tascam records without many issues and you don't need more outputs, I would stick with it and go for some decent monitors instead.

(Edit) Just read Spudman's comments above and what he says of the pre amps is right on. If you want to improve recording sound, look for an interface with good pres.

vroomery
February 18th, 2010, 11:10 PM
The preamp is definitely where your sound quality is coming from. That and the quality of mic you're using.

As for the firewire vs. usb debate. If you're running only a few inputs it really doesn't matter too much. If you're trying to record 4 or more tracks at once then you'll probably want to go up to a firewire unit. The other place you run into trouble is when you're trying to do a high quality recording with a lot of tracks (not necessarily at once) and running the cpu pretty heavy. Since usb relies on the cpu, the buffer rate can cause problems in latency. This means that what you are recording will be registered on the recording a little bit later than the playback that you're listening to while playing. Firewire is much better about latency. Either way you can usually adjust for latency to some extent in most recording programs, but its just another hassle.

Depending on what gear you have, monitors or a good large diaphragm condenser would be a better purchase.

Robert
February 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys, your comments support my initial thoughts stupendously.

I'm thinking krk rokit monitors.

Spudman
February 19th, 2010, 12:23 AM
These would certainly be the last monitors you'd purchase
http://www.genelec.com/products/2-way-monitors/

These get good reviews as well
http://www.mackie.com/products/studiomonitors/index.html

deeaa
February 19th, 2010, 01:06 AM
Thanks guys, your comments support my initial thoughts stupendously.

I'm thinking krk rokit monitors.

krkis good. for lotsa bang for buck behringer truths. prollythe only good behri product....:french

withsmall spkrs you may also need a sub...only for checking the lowest end, not cor mixing...

syo
February 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Rokits are nice. For the money, I like my BX-8's (under $500)

Eric
February 19th, 2010, 08:40 AM
How much difference would you notice in sound quality between a simple USB audio interface compared to a high quality FireWire interface? I currently use a tascam us122 and I've considered upgrading to an apogee duet.
I do think the digital audio converters and drivers in each interface can have some effect on quality, but I don't think that's a huge issue. From my research, it seems like interface shopping is mostly about getting right right number and type of inputs and outputs.

Also, from what I've read, you will run into CPU usage issues from all of the data going in (e.g. recording many tracks simultaneously) before you will have a problem getting the data there.

marnold
February 19th, 2010, 09:04 AM
I'm not saying this to be snarky, but is Firewire even relevant anymore? I know it's holding on in some A/V stuff, mainly on Macs, but that's about it.

Eric
February 19th, 2010, 09:12 AM
I'm not saying this to be snarky, but is Firewire even relevant anymore? I know it's holding on in some A/V stuff, mainly on Macs, but that's about it.
I decided not to mention that. You do see a surprising amount of it in the pro-sumer audio interfaces given that the rest of the world has sort of given up on it, but I think its main function these days is in niche studio and AV applications.

I won't go into it for fear of offending, but I really really like the "moral", as it were, of the Firewire story.

markb
February 19th, 2010, 04:01 PM
The best technology/design isn't always the one that wins market dominance. See also VHS video tapes, Bayer sensors in digital cameras and "compact" framed bicycles for instance.

USB 2 is inferior to F/W 400 in speed and function for all practical purposes, let alone F/W 800. Maybe USB 3 will level the playing field.

Eric
February 19th, 2010, 04:52 PM
USB 2 is inferior to F/W 400 in speed and function for all practical purposes, let alone F/W 800. Maybe USB 3 will level the playing field.
Oh I completely agree, which is the source of the irony/tragedy in this case. Greed -- it's a killer. And a damn shame.

Monkus
February 20th, 2010, 07:29 AM
In my opinion, its a matter of training your ear in terms of reference monitors. In the late 80's/early 90's Yamaha Ns10's were the rage. these took out the eq 'smile' resident in monitors then. They gave a flatter response. When I heard them I thought they were harsh but mix engineers loved them because mixing the lower end was easier once you got used to them, among other things. I never did but a lot of engineers still use them together with other monitors.

Great article on the NS-10's:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/articles/yamahans10.htm

There are a lot of great budget monitors on the market:

Yamaha MSP3 - I've been using these for 3 years
http://www.music123.com/Yamaha-MSP3-Active-2-Way-Studio-Monitor-Each-600848-i1152889.Music123

KRK Rp5
http://www.music123.com/KRK-Rokit-Powered-5-Generation-2-Powered-Studio-Monitor--Each--482825-i1403132.Music123

M-Audio BX5A
http://www.music123.com/M-Audio-Studiophile-BX5a-Deluxe-Active-Monitors-600739-i1406020.Music123

Behringer Truth (surprisingly good)
http://www.music123.com/Behringer-TRUTH-B1030A-Active-Reference-Monitor---Pair-583379-i1474143.Music123

Mackie HR624mk2
http://www.music123.com/Mackie-HR624mk2-601065-i1175383.Music123

You can go to your local Gas station and audition them, make sure all the levels are set the same.

In my mind interfaces USB2 and firewire have the same quality. Different digital to audio converters have normalized at different price points. Your preamps, mics and performance have more weight here as Spudman said. Firewire is going the way of the dodo.

Once your DAW Hardware has at least 4 gb of ram there is no difference unless you're Howard Shore doing a film score, then its a whole different ball game.

Point to note though, I just upgraded to an iMac and Logic Express. My Firebox (firewire) is 400 but the iMac had a 800 firewire connector. So my speeds are still 400 and I had to get a 400 to 800 cable. I only record maybe three inputs at a time so its a moot point for me. Ive had no data issues so far.

Reference your mixes in your car, laptop speakers, a cheapie cd player, iPod, then tweak the mix to taste. Rest, rinse...and repeat.

The majority of listeners will hear your stuff on these players. As you learn the monitors your mixes will improve.

333maxwell
February 23rd, 2010, 01:59 PM
Of course fire wire is relevant.. more than ever..

FW-800 and E-sata (external hard drive affixed to the inside board) are the industry standards.

For example I have mixosaurus drum E-sata that will not even function on standard USB or fw-400 .. you can use it to back the thing up, but it simply isn't fast enough to be chanelling that much information over the slower and clumsy USB or FW400.

That known, things are going to get MORE info intensive, not less..

START with FW800 and E-sata if your building, because soon enough even that may be outgrown. Remember not so long ago, com ports were considered state of the art.. *L*