PDA

View Full Version : Joe Strummer GAS

Kazz
February 19th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Have any of you seen or played one of these Joe Strummer Tele's? I admit I had no idea who Joe Strummer was until I looked it up now I know he was a member of the Clash who I liked back in the day with the Rock The Casbah and Should I Stay Or Should I Go songs.

I went to GC yesterday to kill some time after work and was looking at Tele's and I looked up and seen this ragged looking Tele and noticed it said Fender and not Squire, I thought it was the road worn Tele so I pulled it down and checked it out as the price tag was only $459 that is when I seen the name Joe Strummer Tele on the tag and plugged it into a Fender amp and played for about 30 minutes. Very nice sound to this tele even if it is reliced past the stages of death LMAO

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/0/5/526005.jpg

I could very well see one of these sitting on my guitar stand in 2 weeks when the annual bonus check comes in. I want to build my own Tele but that GAS is going to be hard to resist. There was also a very very cool olypic white tele that they had just unpacked as it still had the silica pouch under the strings and no price tag....but it sure was a beauty. I also saw very nice Les Paul that looked like it was the same color as Olympic White and it was reflecting the colors of guitars around it making it look almost lavender and purple is my favorite color.....good thing that one was hanging out of my reach. Just before I left I also seen an ebony Mahogany Les Paul that was very tempting to plug in at only $799 but alas I had to leave to pick up Mrs Kazz.....and when Kazz is contemplating a new guitar purchase he dare not be late picking up Mrs K :-)

Lev
February 19th, 2010, 05:53 AM
Kazz,

for about the same price you could also pickup a Classic Players Baja Tele. For me this is the best bang for buck Tele available. I've tried it out a few times at my local store and have been very impressed. I also tried the Joe Strummer model and although it's sounds pretty nice I thought the neck and finish on the Baja to be superior.

http://www.fendershop.hu/images/baja%20telecaster.jpg

Robert
February 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I tried the Joe Strummer Tele, and I completely hated it. The neck was so thick, like baseball bat. I could not play it.

Kazz
February 19th, 2010, 07:52 PM
I tried the Joe Strummer Tele, and I completely hated it. The neck was so thick, like baseball bat. I could not play it.

That baseball bat like neck was just one of the things I really liked about it. I will have to look at that model that Lev suggests....the finish on it is much more my style than the reliced look.

sunvalleylaw
February 19th, 2010, 11:24 PM
Just based on looks, I really like the Strummer unit. I would have to see about the neck. I think of teles as kind of raw things, and think that a good, punky, beat up one would be cool. In fact, I hope to get some cheap one at some point to beat up. A butterscotch with black PG that was a bit beat would look good too I think.

Ch0jin
February 20th, 2010, 04:34 AM
Yeah I have to admit I like the look of the Strummer version too. One would hope the frets haven't been reliced though. I remember trying out a 52RI Tele a little while back. They look so good, but after playing guitars with jumbo frets for so long, the "standard" ones on the RI made it feel terrible to me.

syo
February 20th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Wow $459?! If you don't buy it perhaps you could let me know the address of the middle of the arpeggio GC so I can take a look. If it's in good shape (for a relic that is) and plays nice, that's quite a deal.