PDA

View Full Version : A little bit of Blues a little bit of Soul

Jipes
February 19th, 2010, 07:51 AM
Hello guys,

I play more and more in a duo format since large bands are difficult to get on board in our local scene. My friend Lee is a blues Harp player which has joined me for some great fun. I play guitar and sing (later on will footstomping). We mainly play post war blues: Jimmy Reed, Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Bo Diddley but also Ry Cooder stuff of young Bluesmen

Here are two clips recorded last saturday during a small gig in a local restaurant close to Strasbourg (east of France). The first one Big Mama's door is a cover from the great Alvin Youngblood Hart (if you don't know that guy make yourself a favor and go listening to some of his music)

JTmmjKC0N1c

The second clip I got a girl is one of my original song influenced by RL Burnside and Steve Seasick. Let me know what you think of the overall thing !

OUxJJkw2qkw

Blaze
February 19th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Cool stuff Jipes ,nice groove,i enjoyed it..

marnold
February 19th, 2010, 09:08 AM
Good stuff, Jipes! I actually liked the original better, but I'm a fan of more uptempo blues (aka "My baby's come back" blues as opposed to "My baby's done gone" blues). I did have to chuckle quietly to myself to hear southern blues followed by French--interesting juxtaposition.

Jipes
February 19th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Blaze--->Thanks Man !

Marnold--->I also love the original but no one can play it the way Alvin is doin that funky percussive stuff :AOK I tend to try to adapt the songs my way it gives me some opportunity to develop myself as a beginner-composer

sunvalleylaw
February 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Nice Jipes! Are you using your Fender Concert here?

M29
February 19th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Nice job Jipes very nice indeed, I especially liked the original. Love that Tele!

M

Jipes
February 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Nice Jipes! Are you using your Fender Concert here?
No I use the Laney LC-15, the place is tiny so no room for the big 4x10 concert Amp :nope

Jipes
February 19th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Nice job Jipes very nice indeed, I especially liked the original. Love that Tele!

M

Thanks Man, yes indeed this Esquire MIJ is a great guitar

Tig
February 19th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Très bon, Jipes! You and your harmonica man have plenty of âme goin' on.

Jipes
February 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Très bon, Jipes! You and your harmonica man have plenty of âme goin' on.

Thanks for your kind (french) words :AOK

Blaze
February 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM

Ah ! oui, c est vrai tu es D'Alsace , c est bon de constater qu il y a du bon Blues par chez vous..
''C est Toncar Ã* donf '' , un restant de verlen appris lors d' une petite tournée en France ..

A+ Jipes :AOK

Tig
February 19th, 2010, 05:36 PM

Sorry if I butchered it! French is still the main language of the peloton, so I've picked up a few small bits here and there.

tjcurtin1
February 19th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Sounding great, Jipes - I, too, like your tune. I especially like the way you are using the electric in place of an acoustic for these tunes - both the finger picking and the slide sound great, just the right tone.

Jipes
February 20th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Sorry if I butchered it! French is still the main language of the peloton, so I've picked up a few small bits here and there.

Not at all I appreciate your effort:applause French is real difficult language I'm happy that I'm french born :french

Ah ! oui, c est vrai tu es D'Alsace , c est bon de constater qu il y a du bon Blues par chez vous..
''C est Toncar Ã* donf '' , un restant de verlen appris lors d' une petite tournée en France ..

A+ Jipes :AOK

Yes Blaze, you have more than memories of your tour, your verlan sounds very accurate :AOK

Sounding great, Jipes - I, too, like your tune. I especially like the way you are using the electric in place of an acoustic for these tunes - both the finger picking and the slide sound great, just the right tone.

Thanks TJ, Great remark there, I have to be confess that I didn't want to bring along too many guitars 5i had also my 57 reissue Strat) usually I play that song on my National Duolian. For the original I can play it on the resonator but I love the vibe of the electric better ;)