PDA

View Full Version : Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Justaguyin_nc
September 24th, 2006, 09:30 AM
While messing with a Zoom G2 MFX... I noticed for one of the AMPS it actually listed an older stomp box... Marshall Guv'nor... and it sounds great on a Zoom...

Well I was wondering what this stomp box actually was at the time.. and have found that there is a new version out and most people are saying its a Marshall amp in a stompbox... getting some great reviews from fender tube owners and solid state guys.. turning their amps into marshalls...

Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Reviews: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Marshall/GV-2+Guv'nor+Plus/10/1

Anyone here own one? Used one? Thoughts? Opinions?

Cranium
September 24th, 2006, 11:08 AM
I was actualy thinking about getting one which I still might but im not really into heavy distortion which I think most Marshall equipment is best for.

SuperSwede
September 24th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I had the old Guv´nor, but I traded it for the Marshall bluesbreaker pedal which worked great for me. If you are looking for that texas (or should I say Alabama) sound then look no further.....

Cranium
September 24th, 2006, 02:06 PM
SS does the BB give you a marshall sound?

SuperSwede
September 25th, 2006, 02:47 AM
I´ve sold it at one point. It dont give you that "marshall sound" but its a real nice od pedal. It doesnt go to extreme drives, but SRV/Angus Young style of distorsions are easy to dial in. The guv´nor has much more gain.

elavd
September 25th, 2006, 06:31 AM
One Vote for BB2 from me too ;)
I had both the BB2 and the Gov'nor, but I kept only the BB2.

Nelskie
September 25th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Another thing to consider here is that there are many "flavors" of Marshall tone - from Clapton to Hendrix, KISS to early Judas Priest, as well as those that have already been mentioned. And to me, all of them sound good. There are a lot of decent make-it-sound-like-Marshall pedals out there these days, too - all with varying degrees of "Marshall-ness". One pedal that really flipped my lid with a very realistic Marshall tone was the Tonebone Hot British. If you're looking for crunchy stack-type gain, I'd highly suggest you check one of these units out. Spudman posted some comments about his TB Hot British on this thread:

http://www.thefret.net/showpost.php?p=8086&postcount=1

I myself have the Tonebone Classic, and it has more of a Fender-y feel to its OD, which I like better. Both TB pedals have real tubes in them (12AX7), which enhances the warmth and feel of the tone.

The *new* Marshall Bluesbreaker II pedal also appears to have some very nice OD characteristics, though perhaps more geared to the early Clapton-style sound (with John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers). I'm thinking about getting one of these to use with my Valve Jr. head. Here's the link to the Marshall website, where there are several very decent sounding clips:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productId=62

As good as pedal effects are these days, they should still be looked at in the same light as amp-modeling, in that they will add many of the classic Marshall characteristics to your tone. If you want the "real" Marshall tone, there's only one way to get it, and that's to pull out a fat wad of Benjamins (or pound notes), and bite the bullet. ;)

Tone2TheBone
September 28th, 2006, 10:58 AM
While messing with a Zoom G2 MFX... I noticed for one of the AMPS it actually listed an older stomp box... Marshall Guv'nor... and it sounds great on a Zoom...

Well I was wondering what this stomp box actually was at the time.. and have found that there is a new version out and most people are saying its a Marshall amp in a stompbox... getting some great reviews from fender tube owners and solid state guys.. turning their amps into marshalls...

Marshall GV-2 Guv'nor Plus

Reviews: http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Effects/product/Marshall/GV-2+Guv'nor+Plus/10/1

Anyone here own one? Used one? Thoughts? Opinions?

Just bought one yesterday and played it for most of the evening last night while watching G3 in Japan. Tried it in the Marshall amph first. Sweet tones and nice OD/gain. The Deep ring surrounding the Bass knob works pretty cool. It gives you a deep low end that you mostly can feel. It's supposed to give the impression of playing through a Marshall 4x12 cabinet and it does just that. My combo never sounded SO BIG. *thumbs up* The Mid ring around the Treble knob works just like the Mid knob on any amp. I notice the more you lower the Mid the higher the frequencies sound...the other way around and the pedal gives a warm fat midrangy sound with less treble, even with the Treble knob set high. A very useful tone. The Treble knob reacts differently on single coils than on a humbucker. On single coils it's not as pronounced which is opposite of what I was expecting. Overall the tones are sweet and it really does sound like a Marshall in a box.

The real test was when I ran it through the Peavey Classic 30 which to me does not sound like a Marshall at all with it's own circuitry which is Class A based. With the pedal it does a great job of mimicking traditional Marshall tones. *another thumbs up*. The pedal seems to work best when most of the knobs on your amp are set straight up. You can vary a little bit of amp tone here and there depending on what kind of overall sound projection you want from the speakers you are running. I got some really nice blues OD with it too running the gain halfway. With the gain all the way up it's very similiar to my own Jubilee's gain stage. Singing sustain and musical harmonics that you expect from a tube Marshall.

SuperSwede
September 28th, 2006, 11:05 AM
my my... you´r the sound Guv´nor of Albuqurque now :D

Tone2TheBone
September 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
my my... you´r the sound Guv´nor of Albuqurque now :D

Dude I wish it paid! :)

SuperSwede
September 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM
You should probably keep your airport job for the time being... :D

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2006, 06:19 AM
I bought a MS Guv´nor plus today :)

It doesnt sound that similar to the old Guv´nor that I had before... The deep knob was really effective!

Cranium
October 14th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Tell us about it, how does the deep knob work, what kind of sound does it give you, does it have alot of gain?

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2006, 11:11 AM
The Guv´nor plus is hot, at least compared to a Tube Screamer. The deep knob gives you a more "deep" (duh!) sound. Fatter and bigger.

Btw, here is my new GV-2 hooked up to the tonelab. I´m going to grab a separate compressor (probably Boss) too.

Guitar-Chris
October 14th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I´m going to grab a separate compressor (probably Boss) too.

The Marshall Ed-1 (Edward the Compressor) sounds good, too and fits to your Gov'nor pedal.

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Cranium, I recorded something for you.. but you have to excuse me for the less than stellar playing, because I´ve had a healthy amount of red wine before I recorded :)

(Yes, red wine sure is healthy)

Everything was recorded using a Fender Twin patch on the tonelab.
The first part (some kind of country/boogie woogie rhythm ) contains,
clean bridge single coil (tapped hb), then the GV-2. (gain at 9 o´clock)
Second part is clean bridge humbucker, then the GV-2 at maximum gain, deep at 4 o´clock).

I hope the clip gives you a idea on the GV-2.. It´s a pretty versatile unit!

Guitar-Chris
October 14th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I hope the clip gives you a idea on the GV-2.. It´s a pretty versatile unit!

SuperSwede, now after hearing your clip i want to things:

1. A marshall Gov'nor (already have a BB-2)
2. A glass of red win.

So let's start with the glas of win......

Thank you for that clip :DR

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Chris, I´ve only had the GV-2 for a couple of hours but I already love it. The wine aint bad either (Zinfandel) :)

Guitar-Chris
October 14th, 2006, 12:53 PM
The wine aint bad either (Zinfandel) :)

I will give the "Dornfelder" a try now!

Cranium
October 14th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Chris how does the BB-2 sound compared to the GV-2?

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Sorry Cranium... I saw that I wrote for Tot...Of course the recording was meant for you.. :)

*edit the old post*

Guitar-Chris
October 14th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Chris how does the BB-2 sound compared to the GV-2?

Most times i use the Boost-Mode of the BB-2. That means, for example, i use the Tweed model of my Vox AD50VT, a very clean setting, and for the solo I boost the signal with the BB-2. That gives a very bluesy overdrive.

If you use the Overdrive mode, you get more distortion, but it is not that aggressive distortion. What does describe the difference best? Hm, perhaps the BB-2 gives the sound of the 70's Marshall and the Gov'nor more that of the 80's.

But they have sounds in common. They're not totally different.

SuperSwede
October 14th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I´ve had both the old BB-1 and the GV-1, and the older bluesbreaker BB-1 could be best described as a very mild overdrive. I think that both newer BB and GV pedals have received a broader range of gain.

Tone2TheBone
October 15th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Welcome back to the club buddy. With the exception of the Bad Monkey for smooth overdrive I wasn't a great fan of OD pedals until I got my Guv'nor Plus. Now I use it exclusively. Strat, Les Paul....whatever, it is the ****. Now coupled with my new Digitech DigiDelay I am ready to rule the world...if that's ok with Yngwie. LMAO

If you guys are thinking of getting a Guv+ just do it. The deep circuit by itself is worth the moolah. The pedal tone controls work extremely well too. Congrats SS on yours!

SuperSwede
October 15th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Thanks tone! Its a really good unit.
Btw, Yngwie says that it´s NOT ok..

Tone2TheBone
October 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM
Screw that guy I'm gonna do it anyway! hahaha