PDA

View Full Version : Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 watt 1x12" Combo

Katastrophe
February 19th, 2010, 09:09 AM
On my birthday I got a chance to play one of these amphs. Incredibly versatile!

I used a variety of guitars, from a BC Rich Warbeast with EMGs to a 15 year old used American Strat, to a Godin and an Ibby RG350.

ALL of the models sounded great, and I figured out how to get a good clean sound, which was what Mr. Strat was wanting, and just had a blast playing on this thing.

The cab portion of the amph was generous, and to my ears did not sound boxy at all. $449 price tag. I REALLY like this amph, and think it's a great combination of solid state and tube technology.

Anybody else had a chance to play one of these monsters?

marnold
February 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
I played the 30W one for a little bit a while ago. My concern with that one was that the controls seemed very cheap, like one might fall off in my hands at any moment. They seemed cool enough, but there wasn't enough there to justify moving laterally from my AD30VT. Never heard/tried the 60 watter though.

sunvalleylaw
February 19th, 2010, 03:18 PM
I like my son's Vypyr 30, and thought one of the 60s with the tubes in the power section, with a 12Ax7 in the preamp that acts more as a buffer than for distortion that is handled separately would be really cool. Though the knobs on the 30 are a bit plasic-y in appearance as Marnold mentions, they work fine and have never given I or Derek any problems. You push them in to work options such as the tuner, or changing presets. So far, that has always gone fine.

3a2HtWDG0vw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a2HtWDG0vw