PDA

View Full Version : Allums "Blues Stack Plus" mod for the Boss Blues Driver

duhvoodooman
February 19th, 2010, 11:17 AM
As I mentioned in another thread (http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=14545), I had seen that Monte Allums had recently introduced another modification kit for the Boss Blues Driver BD-2, which he calls the "Blues Stack Plus". You can read about it on his website HERE (http://www.monteallums.com/pedal_mods.html#boss_bdbsPlus) and check out the video demo link there. Sounded great to me, and I wanted to give this mod a try. I already own a BD-2 modified with Allums' "H2O Plus" kit, and really love its open and transparent tone.

Anyway, I'd purchased a used BD-2 on eBay and ordered the Allums mod kit, and both arrived yesterday. I dove right in and completed the modification last night. Monte does a really nice job on the instructions, and it's a very straightforward process. Just a matter of removing the stock opamp and a few caps and diodes, and subsituting what he provides. The biggest change is the dual NE5532 opamp "stack" he uses, though there are a few cap changes to bring out more bass and a fairly large change in the clipping stage to smooth out the clipping character. Took about an hour to do, taking my time. Anybody who can follow directions and has decent soldering/desoldering skills can handle one of these mod kits.

When I was done, I ran the Blues Stack Plus (BSP, for short) modded BD-2 side-by-side with my original "H2O+" modded BD-2, and the two are quite noticeably different. The H2O+ is definitely the brighter sounding pedal, and seems to generate more signal distortion when the gain is cranked up past halfway. I would consider it slightly more transparent sounding than the BSP mod, though they are both among the most transparent OD's I've heard. (For example, both are noticeably more transparent to my ear--i.e. impart less overall tonal coloration--than the Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive.)

The BSP version is definitely a warmer and bluesier sounding pedal, as the name would indicate it should be. The character of the distortion when the gain is cranked is also smoother--again in keeping with the "blues" theme. At the same tone pot settings, it generates very noticeably less treble end than the H2O+, and this is why I suspect it sounds a wee bit less transparent and open sounding when compared side-by-side with that version.

Bottom Line: These are both great sounding mods, though clearly going in different directions. If you prefer a somewhat warmer, smoother overdrive, you'll like the BSP version. If you want maximum clarity & treble articulation along with an edgier overdriven tone at higher gain settings, the H2O+ is the better bet. But both are wonderfully transparent overdrives, among the best I've heard. Definitely nice compliments to the more mid-heavy character of the Tube Screamer style overdrives.

Commodore 64
February 19th, 2010, 11:21 AM
Mine was shipped yesterday!

When you remove components, do you use the desolder braid or a pump?

duhvoodooman
February 19th, 2010, 11:31 AM
I just used braid for all of this stuff--easy to get at the solder joints on the back of the PCB. There's one cap on a small auxiliary board mounted beneath the tone pot that's a little tricker to get at, but I removed that one with braid, as well.

Eric
February 19th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Bottom Line: These are both great sounding mods, though clearly going in different directions. If you prefer a somewhat warmer, smoother overdrive, you'll like the BSP version. If you want maximum clarity & treble articulation along with an edgier overdriven tone at higher gain settings, the H2O+ is the better bet. But both are wonderfully transparent overdrives, among the best I've heard. Definitely nice compliments to the more mid-heavy character of the Tube Screamer style overdrives.
Question: I tend to like to take ODs and put them where it definitely slops over to distortion when you're playing heavy, but will clean up with just a lighter pick attack, with just a little hair. I don't consider this to be that verge-of-breakup setting, as it's pretty much full-on distortion when I play rhythm.

What sort of thing would you think is best for that? I'm not looking at getting either of these pedals really, but I am trying to put a name to what my current tone tastes are. You seem to be pretty good at articulating tone characteristics.

duhvoodooman
February 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Question: I tend to like to take ODs and put them where it definitely slops over to distortion when you're playing heavy, but will clean up with just a lighter pick attack, with just a little hair. I don't consider this to be that verge-of-breakup setting, as it's pretty much full-on distortion when I play rhythm.

What sort of thing would you think is best for that? I'm not looking at getting either of these pedals really, but I am trying to put a name to what my current tone tastes are. You seem to be pretty good at articulating tone characteristics.
Sounds like you definitely prefer OD/distortion pedals with a good amount of available gain and which are quite sensitive to pick attack. Another characteristic of such pedals--just another manifestation of the attack sensitivity, really--is that they tend to "clean up" when you roll off your guitar's volume. There are many pedals that will do this....and many that won't. So when you're looking around for such a pedal, look for those "code words" in the description and in customer comments & reviews.

Just a comment--one class of pedals that are noted for this behavior are the Fuzz Face-style fuzz pedals. Under certain conditions, I've noticed that you can go from full-on fuzz with your guitar's volume kob dimed to a nearly clean tone by rolling down to 7 or so. The effect can be very pronounced!

duhvoodooman
February 23rd, 2010, 10:29 AM
Just a couple added comments now that I've had a couple of days to play through this Monte Allums "Blues Stack Plus" modded Boss Blues Driver BD-2:

I'm really impressed with how good this pedal sounds, particularly with Strats. That characteristic Strat tone just seems to fit this pedal like a glove. It's very clear to me now why Monte chose a Strat to demo the pedal with. While I have other overdrives that I like better at the higher gain settings, this pedal just SLAYS with the gain pot anywhere from about 10 to 1 o'clock. Beautifully transparent and natural sounding overdrive, with a nice rich, bluesy tone. Not a real "sparkly" overdrive with a super-articulate top end, but nicely balanced from top to bottom. Much as it pains me to get all gushy over anything other than one of my own DVM pedals, I gotta give credit where it's due--Monte has a real beauty of a mod kit here.

If you already have a BD-2, you can do this mod for the low $30 range--$28 for the kit, plus shipping. If you also need the pedal itself, try eBay--used BD-2's in good shape consistently sell for around $50 plus shipping. So if you need both pedal and mod kit, figure a total out of pocket expense (here in the US, at least) of about $90. Worth every dime, IMO.... :AOK :rockon:

Commodore 64
February 23rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
My kit arrived yesterday.

Eric
February 23rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Sounds like you definitely prefer OD/distortion pedals with a good amount of available gain and which are quite sensitive to pick attack. Another characteristic of such pedals--just another manifestation of the attack sensitivity, really--is that they tend to "clean up" when you roll off your guitar's volume. There are many pedals that will do this....and many that won't. So when you're looking around for such a pedal, look for those "code words" in the description and in customer comments & reviews.

Just a comment--one class of pedals that are noted for this behavior are the Fuzz Face-style fuzz pedals. Under certain conditions, I've noticed that you can go from full-on fuzz with your guitar's volume kob dimed to a nearly clean tone by rolling down to 7 or so. The effect can be very pronounced!
Duly noted. Thanks!

Commodore 64
March 7th, 2010, 12:36 PM
Just completed my Allum Mod. I 'll be back with some impressions later. This was the first time I ever used desoldering braid. Took me a little while to figure out how to best use it.

Edit: OK...I do seem to have a problem. Everything was working fine...but now I get some static...it is not the amp or the cords. It's like an occasional static due to something resonating or somesuch. If I run al ittle reverb or delay, it gets more apparent. Almost like a cut-out type behavior.

Edit again: Fixed it. Thanks DVM for the advice regarding hte contacts on the 8pin OPamp connector.

DVM mentioned how nice this pedal sounds with a Fender Strat, and I agree. However, I plugged in my Samick Jazzmaster. I've always been really pleased with the P90s in this Samick, very little hum, good tone. But with this ALlum modded BD2, holy smokes! Awesome crunch, with good highs, but not ice picky at all. Dial back the tone knob on the guitar a little, you get a nice buttery sound that reminds me of Dicky Betts on the Blue Sky solo.

This is the first time I prefer the tone I get with a pedal over the 1st or 2nd Drive Channel on the my Fender Stage 1000 amp. In fact, it's so nice, I'm only 50% disappointed that I didn't get the Valve Jr. head on Craig's List for 50$ this morning (somebody beat me to it).

Fretlessjay
March 8th, 2010, 08:45 AM
hello,
im looking at both these mods and im trying to figuer out wich would be perfect for me.
Im huge David Gilmour fan and im trying to figuer wich of these mods would be perfect for his tone. ive talked to the guys at Monte and they suggested the BSP. so any suggestions would be a great help.

duhvoodooman
March 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM
The H2O Plus mod is brighter, has more available gain, and is a bit more transparent. The Blues Stack Plus is warmer, with more bottom, and the character of the distortion is smoother--definitely in keeping with the "blues" moniker. I would think the BSP would be the better match to a Gilmour sound. But it's tough to go wrong with either--Monte has done a nice job with both of these mods.

Please stop by our Fret Players (http://www.thefret.net/forumdisplay.php?f=13) sub-forum and introduce yourself!

Commodore 64
March 8th, 2010, 09:05 AM
hello,
im looking at both these mods and im trying to figuer out wich would be perfect for me.
Im huge David Gilmour fan and im trying to figuer wich of these mods would be perfect for his tone. ive talked to the guys at Monte and they suggested the BSP. so any suggestions would be a great help.

One of the licks I was practicing yesterday with my BSP was the solo for Mother. With a bit of delay and the right settings, it sounds pretty freakin' nice.

nighthitcher
April 9th, 2010, 10:22 PM
sounds good to me