PDA

View Full Version : Cant figure it out ... help?

Monkus
February 19th, 2010, 12:01 PM
So...I've loved "Good Times" by Edie Brickell for a long time. If you remember, it came bundled with win95. I know the song goes Ab | Cm7 | Bbm7 | Ebsus7.

It might sound simple to some, and it really is, but I've been trying to get the intro for 2 weeks and cant get the second to last bit. Seems as if two other instruments get in the way and my ear is constantly distracted. Help?

If helping in anyway contravenes the website mods, please disregard and let me know so I can delete this post. Some sites frown on transcription.

Link to the song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqL1BLzn3qc

Love the guitar work !

kiteman
February 19th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I remember too. Cool song. There was another video I think that came on a windows cd and it look like a demo of a game.

Whatever the song was it kicked ***. Do anyone remember?

Monkus
February 22nd, 2010, 09:38 PM
Kiteman, was it "Buddy Holly" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERqsrkwJnJs) by Weezer?

Anyone tried the Edie Brickell?

kiteman
February 23rd, 2010, 06:28 AM
No, that wasn't it, I remember that one though. :)

It's hard to describe the song. It's like a disco/new wave/rap sounding song. I'm still looking for it on youtube but no luck yet. :(

mainestratman
February 23rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Without attempting to transcribe ("close enough" is usually good enough for me), I'd say it sounds like it's completely based around G major pentatonic... but it seems.. "off"... maybe capo'd at the first fret?

Monkus
February 23rd, 2010, 09:20 AM
Close enough is usually good for me as well, but that guitarist is so awesome, I've learnt a heap just trying to figure it out. Its in Ab (G#). Its the half second before the final chord in the intro I cant get yet... but its the journey, not the destination....!

Have you guys heard "Circle" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_GkjymuQ9U&feature=fvst)? The fingerpickers should appreciate it. That one I figured out...lol! The 90's Rocks !

mainestratman
February 23rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Yeah.. the song is definitely capo'd on the first fret then.

Play around with this a little... can't promise it's right or close (guitar is packed up at the moment), but this is kind of what I'm hearing. Please note this is if you're capo'd on the first fret. If not, add 1 to each of the numbers. :-)

e|-3/s/5/s/3-------------------3--|
B|-3/s/5/s/3-3-----------------3--|
G|-----------4-2h4p2-0------0--0--|
D|-------------------0--0h2----0--|
A|--------------------------------|
E|--------------------------------|

/s/ = slide
h = hammer-on
p = pull-off

Monkus
February 23rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
thank you very plenty...I'll try it as soon as I get home and update ...

:happy

Monkus
February 24th, 2010, 09:29 PM
mainestratman

Your ear is great! At first chance today I sat down with it and this is what I came up with. Seems close enough to me. Thanks again for your help !!!!

:happy

e|-3/s/5/s/3---------------------------3--|
B|-3/s/5/s/3-5--3---------------------1--|
G|------------4--2h4p2--0h2-------0----|
D|------------------------------0h2----2-|
A|-----------------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------------|

/s/ = slide
h = hammer-on
p = pull-off :happy

mainestratman
February 24th, 2010, 09:33 PM