PDA

View Full Version : Line 6 JM4 looper demonstration

Robert
February 20th, 2010, 04:25 PM
For guitar, I used a Suhr Classic, and I ran the JM4 into a Marshall JVM410H and a 2x12 Avatar cab, which I had a Shure SM57 on. You can of course plug it straight into your DAW on your computer, but I wanted to do this demo through a regular guitar amp, just to show it sounds great this way too. There's so much this thing can do. For one thing, it has 4 inputs, and you can use them all at the same time. See http://line6.com/jm4looper/ for more info.

This looper is fun for practicing, since it has so many drum loops and songs built in. Perfect for when you just want to jam along to something with minimal hassle. Ya'll should have one! :)

ICYPo2PgN_I

Ch0jin
February 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Nice demo :)

I really like the count in feature. I picked up a boss RC-2 in December and the one thing that takes a fair bit of practice is starting and stopping your first recording to get a smooth repeatable backing to solo over. Being counted in would pretty much eliminate that issue I'd think.

I totally agree that everyone should have a looper though. Since I got mine it's permanently in my FX loop.

Robert
February 20th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Thanks. It's a great little unit for sure. I'm demoing it tomorrow at a trade show in our city. I'm also demoing the JVM410H and the M9.

The count-in is very hand for sure! :AOK

marnold
February 20th, 2010, 08:53 PM
The complexity of loopers is for some reason off-putting to me. That's really dumb since I use Linux and compile my own kernels. I guess I'm just picky as to what I want to be overly complex :) Cool demonstration though. It looked like something that Line 6 themselves would have done. Very professional.

rylanmartin
February 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Really working towards that Line6 endorsement, hey Robert? :P

Robert
February 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys. This was the first video where I used my new set up with two mics; one for miking me talking and one for miking the amp. I bought a lavalier/lapel mic for speaking, and I use a Shure SM57 for miking my amp.

Glad it looked professional. I'm trying to get better at this stuff. You are my guinea pigs. :)

There should be minimal acoustic string sound on the videos from now on, because of my new set up should eliminate most of that.

Well, I'm just a dude in a basement... not a touring musician. But they have for sure been putting out some great stuff lately.

Ch0jin
February 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
The complexity of loopers is for some reason off-putting to me.

Start simple then.

The Boss RC2 I have is the most basic one around I think. Selecting a drum beat is easy, but if you skip doing that it's as easy as stand on the pedal to record, stand on it again to set it playing back what you just recorded (in a loop of course) now play whatever you like over the top.

You can of course layer loops and do tempo changes and stuff, but the heart of it is that simple.

The thing with a basic looper Vs the JM4 is that with all the on board amp models and FX the JM4 has, it's probably no drama to put it in front of a clean amp and go nuts. A more basic looper with none of that, like the RC2 is, IMHO much better in the FX loop. That way I can run as much preamp gain as I like in my amp without the looped signal being distorted.

Of course it depends on your amp and preference. My Peavey has three channels that range from clean to 5150, so yeah, I like to use the preamp. If you like a clean amp driven by pedals, then by all means, put it in front of the amp.

Monkus
February 21st, 2010, 03:23 PM
Gas kicks in...again, :thwap great review Robert !

Spudman
February 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
That was a GREAT video. I loved the way you edited the beginning. It really got me interested to watch more. :AOK :dude

Robert
February 22nd, 2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks Spud, I did that because I remembered your feedback from earlier about that detail! I love to pleeaaaaze!

Spudman
February 22nd, 2010, 10:31 AM
FWIW - the audio quality is very good on the recording. You've really moved the marker up for making high quality demos.

Robert
February 22nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
Thanks Spuddy. I should have started recording the audio like this a long time ago - my voice with a lapel mic and the amp with a separate mic. The result is so much better! :thwap

sumitomo
February 22nd, 2010, 06:23 PM
Wow! Great job Robert,the sound is great and the way you presented the product is right on,made me watch the whole vid.Sumi:D

Katastrophe
February 23rd, 2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the GAS, Robert. As if my own revolving door guitar GAS isn't enough, then amph GAS, now looper GAS. Sheesh!:poke

Seriously good presentation, man.

I'm changing your name to GASman, though. You've earned it.

Eric
February 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Nice vid and demo!

I do think you could be a pedal-endorsement guy. You just need to get some hair extensions, a perm, some sunglasses, gain some weight, and get really excited -- you'll be just like the guy from the Boss demos!

Robert
February 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Haha, Eric, thanks for the "improvement suggestions"! :)

sunvalleylaw
February 24th, 2010, 12:20 PM
How do you compare this one to the RC20XL Robert?

Robert
February 24th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I haven't tried the RC20XL so I can't say.

Ch0jin
February 24th, 2010, 03:03 PM
Hey Robert, does the JM4 have some kind of visual indicator to signal the start and finish of a recorded loop? I was messing with my RC-2 last night and it struck me how something as basic as that is missing from the RC-2 and how useful I'd find it. Not as useful as that awesome count in feature mind you, but useful.

What I'd love is some kind of progress meter that shows where you're at in a loop, but a simple flash of a LED as the loop hits it's start or stop mark would be nice.

Robert
February 24th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Uhh, not that I know of, but I am known for missing things now and then. ;)
There is a count in feature, and some grooves has the drummer shouting - 1,2,3,4 and other's have a fill etc, but they all have visual indicators for 1,2,3,4 count-in.

Tig
February 24th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Very professional production Robert. You've made the most of your new recording gear.

You know, I've been considering the Line 6 M9 or M13, but now I'm thinkin' about one of these. Robert, Line 6 should start paying you commission! $$$

Robert
February 24th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks tig, glad you liked it.

Spudman
February 24th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I have to say Roberto that your demos are so much better than all the other ones on You Tube that I've seen. I really think you are on to something and your format is great. Just don't make them too long. People these days have a short attention span and might not make it through 8 or 10 minutes. Maybe a few shorter demos on certain aspects of a particular piece of gear would be better than one long one. The intro you did is certainly an attention getter though. Mucho kudos to you mate. :dude