PDA

View Full Version : review of epi lp tribute 60s std neck

Duffy
February 20th, 2010, 06:50 PM
I got my new epi lp tribute yesterday and it is flawless. The top is one solid cap of maple, oo seams on the mahogany body. Way better looking than the internet dealer pics.

The cherry burst maple one piece cap is close to 3/4 " thick n is very clear grained maple with some nice small hihglights.

The neck looks quarter sawn n is stained mahogany n is three pieces.

The pups r 57 gibsons and sonnd as good as my sd jb n jazz on one of my other std lps. Clear and series or parallel.

No buzz or problems out of the case, that is a beautiful black w epi logo.

(He tones r great thru my V32 Palomino 212 and the guitar responds dynamically to picking techniques.

The sustain of both pups is full long n sweet.

The action is real low w the bride screwob almost all the way to the body.

The cherry burst top looks better than my Michael Kelly cherry burst w flammed maple top. The natural maple grain in the anber glow fading to the cherry peerimeter has a smooth calm not busy vibe. The MK is beautiful though.

The Tribtute is a mellow looking n sounding guitar w a demure laid back but classic burst look.

More later.

oldguy
February 20th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Congrats on the new guitar, Duffy!
Sounds like you got a great one. I just love a Paul, don't you.
Is it heavy, or have you weighed it yet?

Katastrophe
February 20th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Awesome, Duffy! Post pics when you can.

M29
February 20th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Congrats Duffy! :happy

FrankenFretter
February 21st, 2010, 02:13 PM
Congrats! I get mine on Friday. Glad to hear that you're liking it so far. What do you think of the push/pull series/ parallel switching?

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
Alright, alright....

Since I was razzed for it....
:worthless

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Alright, alright....

Since I was razzed for it....
If you hadn't, I would've!!

Let's see them pics, Duff!! :AOK

Blaze
March 3rd, 2010, 10:48 AM

M29
March 3rd, 2010, 11:23 AM
:poke

Duffy
March 9th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Sorry for the delay on the pictures. It is a beautiful antique cherry burst with a one piece maple cap!

I almost took the pictures today along with some of my awesome Peavey Generation EX Custom telecaster with twin chrome covered humbuckers, front and back binding, antique sunburst on the body and stereo output because of the graphtec acoustic saddles.

It is beautiful with a maple board and a five way switch that does parallel and series and so forth, plus a mini toggle that engages just the humbickers, a variable via control knob blendable combination of the humbuckers and the piezo electric saddle pickups, and a third option of just having the acoustic simulated saddle sound alone.

I played it tonight thru my Crate Gunnison acoustic amp while my fiance sang, switched just to the acoustic simulated mini toggle position and it sounded real good.

She sang "Make You Feel My Love" by Bob Dylan many times and I accompanied along with the cd track. The Gunnison has a separate complete channel for a xlr microphone rig and I put some reverb on her beautiful voice. It was very enjoyable to hear her sing. I printed out the lyrics so she had something to go by.

Then she sang "Imagine" several times and also the John Lennon song "Woman" several times. The closed out by going back to "Feel My Love" for a few more. It was impressive to hear her beautiful voice practicing these beautiful songs, and she did it without a lot of embarrassment or uptightedness and really had some fun. On one of the songs I accompanied her on my set of three pro Conga drums, lightly complimenting her beautiful singing.

I will get the pictures of the Tribute taken as well as the Peavey tele custom and my new Fender special issue FMT HH all mahogany set neck telecaster with a full sized Pearly Gates in the bridge and a 59 in the neck, Black cherry burst flammed maple top. One incredible guitar with a sound that is super fantastic, like the fantastic sounding, super sustaining Tribute but in a different groove.

I'm also getting my recording interface back up and will post some sound clips of my playing, which I'm sure will be interesting because no one has heard me play because I haven't placed any clips yet.

The Tribute is expensive but it is worth it I think, considering all the extras you get with it. I'm about to play myself to sleep with it right now.

Will get back with the pictures,

Duffy