PDA

View Full Version : I met John Sykes tonight

MAXIFUNK
February 22nd, 2010, 01:21 AM
My neighbor worked in the music industry as a sound dude for years,

One day we where talking about the excess of 80's rock music and discussing our favorite bands and I happen to mention to him How much I loved Thin Lizzy and the arsenal of great kick A$$ guitarist Gary Moore, Snowy White, Brian Robertson, & John Sykes. He says to me I have known John for 20 years would you like to meet him and ummm sure.

So tonight my buddy sees me and says hey man come on over John is over come meet the dude.

Any way long story short John Sykes was very down to earth cool dude we talked music then & now and as well as what he is doing today. He knew some folks I knew from being on the road it is a small world in so many ways.

I asked what type of amps he used and he said "Nothing like a Les Paul playing through a Marshall once the tubes are perfectly warmed up" .
How can you argue with that statement. He was even cool enough to suggest we jam.

I better do some serious wood shedding. LOL
I'll just play the bass and let him hold down the s strings then pick his brains after the fact.

If you do not know who John Sykes is just listen to Thin Lizzy from 1983 Thunder and Lighting and the 1st two White Snake Albums. He is one heck of a player a serious guitar slinger for sure.

http://www.johnsykes.com/index.html

Kazz
February 22nd, 2010, 05:24 AM
Great story...thanks for the share. I did not know Sykes was in Thin Lizzy and responsible for the sounds I liked so much in Whitesnake. Nothing like those first 2 snake albums and The Boys Are Back In Town is one of my longtime favs

kidsmoke
February 22nd, 2010, 06:45 AM
Huge Thin Lizzy fan although Whitesnake didn't do much for me, (aside from visions of Tawny Kitaen on the hood of a car)

Jailbreak is a great album.

Very cool stuff. More and more you realize that these dudes, for the most part, are like the rest of us with a little luck and usually a little more talent.

That'd be huge to get to jam with him!

Robert
February 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Cool! I definitely was inspired by John Sykes as a teenager. I was/am a huge Thin Lizzy fan.

Katastrophe
February 22nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
That's awesome! Good to hear that Sykes is cool. The man is a guitar monster, and can sing his arse off, too.

Spudman
February 22nd, 2010, 10:02 AM
ENVY!

sumitomo
February 22nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
:what :rockon: That's just awesome! I still be diggin Thin Lizzy,another great show I saw a the L.A. forum,they opened for Alice Cooper.Sumi:D

marnold
February 22nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Cool! Although to be more accurate he was on Whitesnake's first two well-known albums: "Slide It In" and "Whitesnake." David Coverdale and 'Snake had actually released six studio albums before that. Probably would'nt be much benefit to asking him about ol' Dave, though :)