PDA

View Full Version : Rotosounds

pes_laul
February 22nd, 2010, 04:52 PM
So I picked a pack of Rotosound Swing 66 bass strings.

Put 'em on my bass and never even doing it before I found a pretty legit way to put them on nice and cleanly.

So far I like the tone of them but I have yet to hear it through an amp.

Tomorrow after school I will post on how they sound.

marnold
February 22nd, 2010, 07:22 PM
I had them on my bass for a while. I just could never get into them for whatever reason. Mine didn't seem as bright as advertised. I might have gotten a bad set, but I wasn't going to pay the $$ to find out. I ended up getting DR Hi Beams and couldn't be happier with those. They've got a different core so they don't feel as stiff as the Rotos at the same gauge. Actually, I wouldn't mind having a bit extra tension.

pes_laul
February 22nd, 2010, 08:23 PM
I had them on my bass for a while. I just could never get into them for whatever reason. Mine didn't seem as bright as advertised. I might have gotten a bad set, but I wasn't going to pay the $$ to find out. I ended up getting DR Hi Beams and couldn't be happier with those. They've got a different core so they don't feel as stiff as the Rotos at the same gauge. Actually, I wouldn't mind having a bit extra tension.
Yeah I know I like the tension on it right now, it responds to slapping pretty good without hitting the pickup.

I wonder what kind of strings came on my bass.

MAXIFUNK
February 25th, 2010, 02:06 PM
I used to use roto's back in the early 80's becasue that was what Stanley Clarke used at the time. Then switch to GHS Boomers similar sound and feel for 20 bucks less.

Nowadays I have use Elixir they came on my Ibanez bass. I liked them a lot,
http://www.elixirstrings.com/products/product_bass.html

I replaced them with DR's HI-BEAMS which was referred to me by Marcus Miller. (I am sure he will not even remember me asking him what strings he used back stage at the Playboy Jazz Festival 2 years ago.) I love these and will continue to use them as my main strings love the tone and feel of these strings.
http://www.drstrings.com/main.html

NWBasser
March 3rd, 2010, 03:46 PM
I used to use rotos, for a Geddy Lee tone, but found that they lost their brightness quickly and felt a bit rough. I've since went to DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams and love the tone and feel.

Pricey, but well worth it for me.

MAXIFUNK
March 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I used to use rotos, for a Geddy Lee tone, but found that they lost their brightness quickly and felt a bit rough. I've since went to DR Marcus Miller Fat Beams and love the tone and feel.

Pricey, but well worth it for me.

When I bought my high beams they where out of those So next string change I was going to try those I have heard nothing but good things about them.

Duffy
March 25th, 2010, 11:53 PM
What guage are the fat beams? Or are they available in various gauges?

I heard lighter guage strings sound better on a bass, contrary to my earlier personal opinion, because they vibrate with more amplitude than the stiff rail road ties I have been accoustomed to. Supposedly you get a more full, musical tone with greater sustain.

I'm going to get a lighter guage next time and test them out.

MAXIFUNK
March 26th, 2010, 01:20 AM
What guage are the fat beams? Or are they available in various gauges?

I heard lighter guage strings sound better on a bass, contrary to my earlier personal opinion, because they vibrate with more amplitude than the stiff rail road ties I have been accoustomed to. Supposedly you get a more full, musical tone with greater sustain.

I'm going to get a lighter guage next time and test them out.

http://www.drstrings.com/catalog/fat-beams-marcus-miller-signature-series

player
March 26th, 2010, 11:04 PM
Bassist I know likes Nickle GHS boomers but is or has been looking at Dr's
says Nickle is easier on the frets on a rather new Bass

marnold
March 27th, 2010, 08:53 AM
After switching to Hi-Beams I was amazed at the difference in tension compared to the Rotosounds at the same gauge. It because of the different cores from what I understand. It made bends a lot easier without getting all floppy on me. I've never heard anyone say that about lighter bass strings but it seems like it would be worth an experiment anyway.