PDA

View Full Version : Ruminations on Gear and Selling Gear

Commodore 64
February 23rd, 2010, 08:12 AM
I have a tendency to try a lot of things before settling on something. I go through a lot of gear whether it's power tools, computer parts, and now it seems, instruments and gear.

I have this great Michael Kelly Patriot Q...and it's really nice, and I feel I got a good deal on it, for $200. It's just that it's always hanging on the wall. Every time I pick up this Samick Jazzmaster I have (got this one even cheaper), I really dig the sound of the P90s and feel of it. I think I really do prefer the slightly longer scale length of the Fender-type guitars, compared to the 24.75 of the LP type guitars (like my MK). So then I have this quandary. I got a good deal on a very nice MK...but I never play it. It's by far the nicest electric I own. So what do I do? Keep it because it's a nice guitar and I got a good deal? Or try to sell it or trade it?

I also have this VHT ported 1 x 12 cab. I don't really like it. I've loaded it with 3 different types of speakers and I have another Lopoline 1 x 12 cab. So like, now I'm thinking I should just build or buy a 2 x 12 cab and use the 2 12-inch speakers I have and maybe get rid of the 1 x 12 cabs.

I have a Blackheart Little Giant. I retubed it. I have pedals for it. But I always end up playing Fender Stage 1000 SS amp. I just like the way the Fender sounds better.

Am I just a noob? Will my taste change as I get better? Should I keep the MK and Blackheart and other stuff...knowing that my ear or skillz may develop and tastes change? Or do I try to wheel and deal for a CV Squier Tele that I've been gassing for?

Is it bad that I'm really jonesing for a small modeling amp like the Vox VT15 that I've been playing at the local Guitar Center now and again? Will I just get it home and decide to play the Stage 1000 again?

Oh, and if I get a GFS tele, will I still be jonesing for a CV tele?

MichaelE
February 23rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
You just haven't found what you really and truly like yet.

Commodore 64
February 23rd, 2010, 08:54 AM
So should I start trying to sell and trade the gear I'm not enamored with?

bcdon
February 23rd, 2010, 10:34 AM

Do you need the money from the sell to fund your new gear? If not, hang onto it. Have you noticed how many posts you see from people saying how they really regretted trading this or that?

Bloozcat
February 23rd, 2010, 11:17 AM

Keep track of how much you use (play/use) the guitar/gear over a 6-month period. If it's little or none, you have your answer.

Keeping things around just for the sake of having them makes you a collector, not a player. If it has some sort of sentimental value that your really can't quantify, then maybe you might want to keep it. But, if it's just taking up space and gear budget - budget that could be spent on something you'd actually use - then it's probably time to move it out.

"Good deal", "pretty", "best" - all mean little if you're not using them. One or two good guitars you use are better than five when three are just pieces of art you look at.

Commodore 64
February 23rd, 2010, 12:16 PM
Anyone want to trade something for my MK Patriot? ;)

Bloozcat
February 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Anyone want to trade something for my MK Patriot? ;)

LOL...!

I've got one of my own that has to go because a new one is coming in. Good luck with yours, though!

Katastrophe
February 23rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
At the price that you paid for the MK, if your not enamored with it, let 'er go.

As you play, your tastes WILL change, as you find gear that you're comfortable with. The thing is, technology changes/improves/makes items cheaper every day, so you may want to change gear for that reason.

I've been fortunate that I've only had to sell one electric guitar, one processor and one amph since I began playing. Everything else I kept, gave away to a friend, or played until it blew up. But, at the time I acquired the gear, I knew exactly what I wanted.

Edit... If the Fender Stage amph does it for you, then keep it. There's certainly nothing wrong with buying another amph to try out for a different sound. Lots of music stores, both brick and mortar, and online, have return policies in place for that reason!

Commodore 64
February 23rd, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'm heading down to check out a strat after work, listed at $250. I don't think it is a Squier, probably a Mexican strat. If it's a Mex, I'm gonna offer $175.

I've also got a feeler out to trade for a Mexican Tele. I offered the MK straight up or my BHLG with Cab. http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/1609576485.html

edited to remove dead CL link

Commodore 64
February 23rd, 2010, 05:19 PM
Quick Update, I got the Mexican Strat for $200 will update with pics soon.

Commodore 64
February 24th, 2010, 06:03 AM
I put some new strings on it last night. What a really nice playing guitar...very easy to fret with low action. Nice crisp fender tones. Going by the serial (MZxxxxx) it was made in 2000-2001.

My only real complaint at the moment, is that the PUPs are very noisy, especially with (even a small amount) of gain. Much more hum/buzz than the P90s on that Samick in the last pic. I thought P90s were supposed to be very noisy, but I've been really pleasantly surprised with that Samick.

Pics:

http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/Mex_strat.jpg
http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/Mex_strat1.jpg
http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/Mex_strat2.jpg

Eric
February 24th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Am I just a noob? Will my taste change as I get better? Should I keep the MK and Blackheart and other stuff...knowing that my ear or skillz may develop and tastes change? Or do I try to wheel and deal for a CV Squier Tele that I've been gassing for?
This is the eternal question, isn't it?

Short answer: I would keep everything for about a year at a minimum.

Long answer: I want to think that I can live with one guitar that I like and a very simple setup. At this point, I think I probably could. However, when I got a guitar I was excited about (Agile), it really did make a difference. I know you can have nice guitars you're just not into -- for me, that's generally strats.

I now want to sell all of the stuff except for what I really, truly use. Problem is that sometimes I go back to guitars I've loaned out or archived and find that they have a lot of merit, much more than I previously thought.

It's perspective, I think. I still don't know what I want amp/pedal/guitar-wise, though I have some idea. What I sweat in guitars is much different from what I actually like to use. I'm very analytical and like as much data as possible, but I'm also cheap and appreciate simplicity. Makes for a tough combo.

I think that keeping things for awhile, figuring out where they fit into your tastes and style, and then making the decision on what to do will end up being your best course of action. The only reason why it would be good to sell right now is for either a cash crunch on your part or the zeitgeist angle (e.g. Squier CVs are the Big New Thing at the moment), and that's not a huge reason, IMO.

Katastrophe
February 24th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Nice MIM Strat ya got there! Yep, single coils can be noisy. Shielding can help.

You've got a nice variety of guitars, now.

wingsdad
February 24th, 2010, 09:05 AM
I've also got a feeler out to trade for a Mexican Tele. I offered the MK straight up or my BHLG with Cab.
So, you prefer Fender-scale, so much you went & scored a good deal on a nice MIM Strat you already appear to enjoy more than the MK that's just hangin' around collecting dust and ooh-ahh's for her looks....hmmm.

If I were you (I'm not, but I've 'been there, done that' with gear-swaps...just did it again this w/e, in fact), I'd swap the MK for the MIM Tele. Since you're not ga-ga over the BHLG, hang onto it to swap that for a little amp you might dig more...

If it's any consolation, C-64, the better you get, the more nimble and deft you get, the worse this syndrome will overwhelm you. There is no permanent cure. This Jones is forever. Unless you can find a local chapter of GAS-Anon.

Commodore 64
February 24th, 2010, 09:19 AM
My wife is already giving me shit because that MiM strat is purple (ish). When we first started dating, she used to make fun of me because my water bong was purple, and so were all of my friend's. She said we were all fixated on purple (penis reference). I walked in with that guitar and she just burst out laughing. I mean WTF my water bong phase was over a decade ago!

So I also have this Yamaha Pacifica that has 2 Fender Gold Lace Sensor PUPs. I'm already thinking about taking those PUPs and putting them in my MiM, but I'd need a 3rd one. Would I just buy another Gold? Or should I get like a Red or Blue for the Bridge position? If you look at all the GFS PUP sets for example, they are wound differently for each position (neck, middle, bridge). Looking at zZounds, it seems that there's only one Gold (http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN992)...Don't I want different windings in different positions?

In other news, that seller with the tele has not responded to my emails. :(

But...so, if I pillage that Pacifica, I'll have a spare DiMarzio Air Zone humbucker...and I also have a Duncan SH-4 in another AXL guitar that I own (that one was a freebie). What if I put both of those buckers in my MK? But it's not so much the sound of the MK that I don't like. SO perhaps I should stick with trying to trade the MK for a tele. Who wants to trade me an MK for a tele? If it's a Fretter, I'd definately trade the MK straight up for a Xavier or Rondo type tele...it wouldn't have to be a MiM tele or better.

marnold
February 24th, 2010, 09:24 AM
So I also have this Yamaha Pacifica that has 2 Fender Gold Lace Sensor PUPs. I'm already thinking about taking those PUPs and putting them in my MiM, but I'd need a 3rd one. Would I just buy another Gold? Or should I get like a Red or Blue for the Bridge position? If you look at all the GFS PUP sets for example, they are wound differently for each position (neck, middle, bridge). Looking at zZounds, it seems that there's only one Gold (http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN992)...Don't I want different windings in different positions?
There's the Gold and the Hot Gold. AFAIK a regular Gold is a regular Gold. For a more definitive answer, contact Bruce at Aamps: http://www.aampselectricguitarstore.com/lace_pickups/index.html He's got just about the best deals on Lace Sensors on the Intarwebs.

sunvalleylaw
February 24th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I put some new strings on it last night. What a really nice playing guitar...very easy to fret with low action. Nice crisp fender tones. Going by the serial (MZxxxxx) it was made in 2000-2001.

My only real complaint at the moment, is that the PUPs are very noisy, especially with (even a small amount) of gain. Much more hum/buzz than the P90s on that Samick in the last pic. I thought P90s were supposed to be very noisy, but I've been really pleasantly surprised with that Samick.

Pics:

The MIM's before '06 can benefit from some extra shielding. They added shielding to the MIM's starting in '06 which may help if you do the same. If you feel you are lacking sustain, you can install a heavier trem block, something that was also changed in 2006. I think Callaham and GFS make them. I would first get some shielding (there are threads on here I know) and take off that PG, shield it up, and then decide about pups.

I think it looks cool. Purplish blue looks just fine to me. :AOK

Eric
February 24th, 2010, 10:02 AM
Wow. You really do spend a lot of money on yourself.

Commodore 64
February 24th, 2010, 10:14 AM
Wow. You really do spend a lot of money on yourself.

Yeah, and I make sure that my wife and kids eat bread and water and shop at Goodwill to support my habit. Gotta keep my priorities straight. :rolleyes:

Commodore 64
February 25th, 2010, 10:44 AM
OK. Made a CL post.

Have some interest. Someone has a Jay Turser Custom Deluxe (http://www.jayturser.com/jt-ltcustomdlx.php) he's willing to work a trade with for the MK Patriot. He's also got a Roland 30x Cube he would trade for my BHLG.

After more research, I'm not enamored with the Jay Turser, at least as a comparable value as my MK.

Edit:

Holy cow CL is awesome. Guy wants to trade me a MiM tele, with hardshell case for the BHLG and a Cab. :dude

I'm gonna see if I can still work a deal with that other guy for the Roland G30X with my MK (or preferably my Pacifica).

deeaa
February 25th, 2010, 03:30 PM
btw why cbm64 as nick? itwaz my first computer...and I bought one again for retro buzz some 5 years ago...HAD to see if I coul d not pas that bruce lee level I was stuck in in the 80s....

Commodore 64
February 25th, 2010, 03:38 PM
It was my first computer and I started using that nickname for online play back in 1999 when Unreal Tournament and Starcraft were new games...and it stuck, heh.

Commodore 64
February 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
OK. Last night I did some trading and said goodbye to the MK and Balckheart. I now have 2 teles ('94 MiM Squier with upgraded hardware, and a Jay Turser), a Kay bass and some cash. I don't have a bass amp.

Local GC has an Orange 35B bass amp (used) for sale. I've heard some people use bass amps for guitar. Was wondering what everyone's thoughts on that were...I still have my Fender Stage 1000 amp, but I'll need a 2nd amp for when people stop by. Could that Orange double as a guitar/bass amp?

wingsdad
February 26th, 2010, 08:49 AM
... Could that Orange double as a guitar/bass amp?
Sure. It's no Fender Bassman, but no reason why not. I've used small SS bass amps (have one now) and find they're generally easier to find a creamy 'woman tone' with than most small SS guitar amps. How much are they asking for it? And how much, or, in what situations, are you planning to play bass? There's loads of options.

marnold
February 26th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Look for one of the Acoustic amps at MF/GC. Over the Presidents' Day sale the local GC had the B20 for $99. Great amps for very little $$. If you plan on gigging you'll need something bigger.

Commodore 64
February 26th, 2010, 09:10 AM
They are asking 150 for the Orange 35B (if it's still there). I've never played bass, so situations where I will play bass = bedroom practicing/learning and occasionally when friends stop by to jam.

Marnold, are you saying an acoustic amp can be used for bass and guitar?

bcdon
February 26th, 2010, 09:39 AM
What is the difference between a bass and guitar amph? Are bass amphs optimized for lower frequencies?

deeaa
February 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Used to be next to nothing...but modern bass amps generally are MUCH more powerful and they usually have much more control in the EQ. The difference that might make them useless for guitar use is that the preamps are voiced entirely differently, and may not work very well with guitar frequencies or clip somewhat ugly in those frequencies etc. The same applies to acoustic guitar amps - not the Acoustic brand :-)

Their speakers also use tweeters quite often, which only serve to ruin a good electric guitar sound.

But I've heard of people, especially metal players, prefer bass amps for more control in the low end...guitar amps, on the other hand, may work very well as low-power bass amps.

Eric
February 26th, 2010, 10:14 AM
...guitar amps, on the other hand, may work very well as low-power bass amps.
I passively inherited my friend's bass when he moved away, and though it's on loan to a different friend now, I wanted to use it through one of my guitar amps when I had it.

The info I found is that as long as you don't push it much beyond bedroom volume, you should be fine using a guitar amp for bass. Supposedly you can damage some stuff if you really crank a guitar amp when using a bass -- I don't know what that would be.

sunvalleylaw
February 26th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Comm64, did you keep the MIM strat?

marnold
February 26th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Marnold, are you saying an acoustic amp can be used for bass and guitar?
Acoustic with a capital "A." As in the company by that name, not an amp for acoustic guitars. Having said that acoustic amps are more like bass amps.

The amp itself couldn't care less whether you hook a guitar or bass up to it. The speakers will care a lot, especially on an open back cab. A closed back will trap the air and "cushion" the speaker so it can't overextend itself. There's no protection with an open back cab so it's much easier to blow a speaker.

As Deeaa pointed out, there are some differences between bass and electric guitar amps. You need a lot more juice from a bass amp, mainly due to how the human ear hears low frequencies (i.e. not well).

Commodore 64
February 26th, 2010, 12:40 PM
I kept the MiM Strat. Absolutely, I have big plans for that. I just came back from Guitar Center with a Fender Vibro Champ XD. I'll still need to get a bass amp, but I just plugged into this Vibro Champ on a whim and I really really liked it. I get modeling and tubes :)

Marnold, I did mess around with some Acoustic Bass amps, they still have the one for 99, and another for 125. They also still have that Orange 35B for $159, but you can't take it home til March 11 (used policy says they gotta keep it for 20 days). I'm still considering putting a downpayment on it until the release it for sale.

My guitar stable is now:

2000-2001 Fender MiM Strat
1994 Fender MiM Squier Tele
2000 Samick Jazzmaster
2xxx Jay Turser Tele (with a bucker in the neck position)
1995 Yamaha Pacifica (this guitar will be pillaged when I decide to upgrade the PUPs in my MiM Strat)
Kay 3/4 Scale 4-string Bass
Taylor D-110 Acoustic
Fender Stage 1000 SS Amp
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Boss RC-20XL Looper
Boss BD2 Blues Driver (soon to be modded)
BYOC Marshall Blues Breaker Clone (Soon to be unmodded to undo some of the mods I did)

I gotta get some pics of my new Teles. The Turser, especially is a very nice looking guitar.

kiteman
February 27th, 2010, 06:49 AM
I have a Fender Rumble 25 bass amp and my guitars sounds good on it. Sweet tones and sounds compressed.

C64, I used to be a C64 nerd big time. I learned basic and assembly programing on it. Wrote a lot of video games and sold 1 to Compute! magazine for $75. The computer had a fantastic video and sound chips in it. We call 'em Vic and Sid. :D

My sis's church had a rummage sale and she called me about the C64 stuff there, $15 for all. Computer, drive, monitor and a box of disks. It was missing a cable to hook the drive so I ordered one online.

So I played with it and realized that I've come a long way. Sold 'em to a collector for $50. :)

Well, it was fun when it lasted.

deeaa
February 27th, 2010, 06:55 AM
I had pretty much the same situation kiteman - I never learned much programming but I was a C64 heavy user...and I also happened accross one setup with the disk drive and all, and a huge bunch of disks and accessories. Pretty much the same setup I had as a child. Played Bruce Lee a few times and took a trip down the memory lane with some other old classics...boy they were simple games & stuff :-) and finally, sold to a collector for a real nice profit too!

kiteman
February 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM
I had pretty much the same situation kiteman - I never learned much programming but I was a C64 heavy user...and I also happened accross one setup with the disk drive and all, and a huge bunch of disks and accessories. Pretty much the same setup I had as a child. Played Bruce Lee a few times and took a trip down the memory lane with some other old classics...boy they were simple games & stuff :-) and finally, sold to a collector for a real nice profit too!

Heh, pretty much the same here. The disks I got was home stuff like word processor and database. If I had the disks that I got from the public domain software houses I'd kept it. I remember my favorite game was Rockfall!

Commodore 64
February 28th, 2010, 11:26 AM
OK I don't want to speak too soon. And I'm almost afraid to put it here, since it will be a permanent record...and people will laugh at me when I change my mind, but...

I think I might be in the throes of incipient cathection with my MiM Tele. Specifically, the neck pick-up. I've been messing around with some ZZ-Top type licks, and I found this great combination of crunch, that cleans up as soon as I remove or move my fingers. I'm going to record the specifics, because I don't want to forget where I got this sound...

Amp: Fender Stage 1000
Channel: OD 1
Timbre Setting: Bright
Gain: 5
Volume: 3
Effects: Spring Reverb, level 5

Tele:
Volume Knob: Backed off ~1/3 turn
Tone Knob: Backed off ~ 1/3 Turn
Strings: 10s with a wound 3rd

Side note: The Fender Vibro Champ XD needs a bigger speaker. The 8-inch stock speaker farts out and sounds like *** if you crank it past loud conversation levels. Also, sounds terrible on any high gain setting. Once i get my old Crate 2 x 12 amp back form a friend, I'm gonna wire it so it can also be a cab, and we'll see how the vibro champ sounds then.

pics:

http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/TeleHeadstock.jpg
http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/TelePG.jpg
http://www.lucky-cricket.com/files/Tele_MiMSq.jpg

kiteman
February 28th, 2010, 11:31 AM
You got 10s with a wound third ??

What brand?

Commodore 64
February 28th, 2010, 11:41 AM
You got 10s with a wound third ??

What brand?

I don't know. The guy who owned it before put them on. He said they were 10s with a wound 3rd. I'll email him right now to see what the deal is.

Edit: got a respose:
Hi
Yes 10's wound 3rd the 3rd in most sets is plain 17.
a 17 wound is hard to find
I usualy get a wound 18 ernie ball or whatever they have

Commodore 64
March 2nd, 2010, 11:46 AM
In case anyone was reading this besides me, I returned the Vibro Champ XD. I hooked it up to my Stage 1000 last night (just the speaker), and it still sounded awful. I don't know if I was that far off base when I tried it at GC or what...I couldn't find any setting worth playing.

So I did what I should have done in the first place. I used the store credit to get an Acoustic B20 bass amp (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B20-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier-104622667-i1383305.gc). One of the GC guys, who I like, said he's been playing around with that amp with a Fuzz pedal and guitar. He said it's quite nice for the money. So at least now I can plug in that bass and also have a 2nd amp for guitar if needed. GC was really cool about taking the VCXD back, no problems.

kiteman
March 2nd, 2010, 12:28 PM
Thanks C64 on the strings.

Brian Krashpad
March 2nd, 2010, 02:24 PM
In case anyone was reading this besides me, I returned the Vibro Champ XD. I hooked it up to my Stage 1000 last night (just the speaker), and it still sounded awful. I don't know if I was that far off base when I tried it at GC or what...I couldn't find any setting worth playing.

So I did what I should have done in the first place. I used the store credit to get an Acoustic B20 bass amp (http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic-B20-1x12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier-104622667-i1383305.gc). One of the GC guys, who I like, said he's been playing around with that amp with a Fuzz pedal and guitar. He said it's quite nice for the money. So at least now I can plug in that bass and also have a 2nd amp for guitar if needed. GC was really cool about taking the VCXD back, no problems.

Interesting with the VCXD not sounding good even through a bigger cab. That was with guitar, right? I have the larger Super Champ XD and used it as a stage monitor Saturday night on a BIG stage, lined out to an old Sunn 200S 60W head (speaking of bass amps, the Sunn is technically a bass head, but '60's bass heads are voiced much closer to guitar amps than modern bass amps), and then to an open-back 2x12 (mic'd to PA). Despite a fairly high onstage SPL, the SCXD was not farty at all. I wonder if you just got a bum VCXD.

This shot shows the Super Champ XD up next to me over on our right, and the Sunn rig in the back, next to the Les Paul (partially obscured by me), between me and the lead singer.

http://img693.imageshack.us/img693/3645/mlc2010015.jpg

Commodore 64
March 2nd, 2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah, I was using my tele with the VCXD, which was runt hrough the 12-inch speaker in my Stage 1000. I'm pretty sure it was a bum VCXD, or at least, it might have had a bad tube. I thought about ordering some tubes (I stupidly traded my 12AT7 and 12AU7 when I moved the BHLG to get my tele). The other option I was considering was springing for the SCXD, but since I have a bass and no amp for it, I figured I should probably get a bass amp that I could use for guitar duty when friends stop over.

I'm fairly sure that I don't like an 8-inch speaker (VCXD), but the SCXD is very intriguing with that 10" and a clean channel. The VCXD had no option for a channel that was not a "voice", and that kind of irked me. Another thing that is irking me right now is that I no longer have a tube amp...

Brian Krashpad
March 2nd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I was using my tele with the VCXD, which was runt hrough the 12-inch speaker in my Stage 1000. I'm pretty sure it was a bum VCXD, or at least, it might have had a bad tube. I thought about ordering some tubes (I stupidly traded my 12AT7 and 12AU7 when I moved the BHLG to get my tele). The other option I was considering was springing for the SCXD, but since I have a bass and no amp for it, I figured I should probably get a bass amp that I could use for guitar duty when friends stop over.

I'm fairly sure that I don't like an 8-inch speaker (VCXD), but the SCXD is very intriguing with that 10" and a clean channel. The VCXD had no option for a channel that was not a "voice", and that kind of irked me. Another thing that is irking me right now is that I no longer have a tube amp...

I think you made the right choice for the gear you have. You can always look into a SCXD later, and in the meantime you have a bass amp that can backup your guitar amp. I've been very very pleased with my SCXD. Picked it up like new in a pawn for $175. I used it in practice last week with the 10" speaker disconnected and straight into the 2x12 (no Sunn in the rig) and it sounded good that way too, but I didn't want to chance being underpowered for a big-stage show.

tunghaichuan
March 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM

One thing to consider is that the two amps have different output topologies. The VCXD has a single-ended Class A output section. It puts out 4-6 watts clean. The SCXD has a push pull Class AB output section and puts out about 15 watts clean. Even though they use the same output tube(s), they sound different despite the fact that they use the same tube type.

As you've also noted, 8" speakers don't sound as good as 10" speakers. In fact, I have yet to year an 8" speaker that I like. Most 8" speakers are "hole-fillers" and included with an amp just to say it has a speaker. There are a lot of good sounding 10" speakers, although they can sound boxy in some cabinets.

IMHO, the SCXD is a much better sounding amp due to the push pull output section and 10" speaker. I almost wish Fender would make a "Deluxe Reverb XD" with a 12" speaker and a decently sized cabinet.

Commodore 64
March 3rd, 2010, 06:14 AM
Just wanted to report that I am really pleased with the Acoustic B20 as a guitar amp. What a nice sounding amp. Nice and smooth with that 12-inch speaker. I ran it through some pedals, a Boss BD2, A boss OD2, and my BYOC Blues Breaker...

THe BD2 is really icepicky, even with this bass amp, I really need to get off my *** and do that Allum mod (the kit is here). Also, I really need to swap a cap or 2 out on my Blues Breaker build.

Also wanted to send a shout out to marnold, who told me to check into the Acoustic Bass Amp. For $125, I don't think you can find a nicer practice amp.

Brian Krashpad
March 3rd, 2010, 06:21 AM
Just wanted to report that I am really pleased with the Acoustic B20 as a guitar amp. What a nice sounding amp. Nice and smooth with that 12-inch speaker. I ran it through some pedals, a Boss BD2, A boss OD2, and my BYOC Blues Breaker...

THe BD2 is really icepicky, even with this bass amp, I really need to get off my *** and do that Allum mod (the kit is here). Also, I really need to swap a cap or 2 out on my Blues Breaker build.

Also wanted to send a shout out to marnold, who told me to check into the Acoustic Bass Amp. For $125, I don't think you can find a nicer practice amp.

The Rev knows his stuff! A good onya to him. And congrats to you. I had a 1x12 bass amp on loan to me for the longest time (owner went overseas) and it was great as a guitar practice amp. So long ago I have no idea what it was though, haha.

marnold
March 3rd, 2010, 12:49 PM

My pleasure! I tried just about every inexpensive bass amph out there before deciding on the B20. The little Marshall MB30 was very nice too, albeit a bit more expensive. Rather than lug his amph downstairs when we have a lesson, my son plugs into my B20. I just have to be careful to make sure to turn it down. Proper practice volume for a bass will knock you into next Tuesday with a guitar.

Commodore 64
March 4th, 2010, 10:25 AM
So, I've got another nice item, that I never seem to use..the Boss RC-20XL. I just threw it up on CL to see if I can get a couple pedals in return maybe some sort of fuzz and a compression pedal.

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1628034661.html

NWBasser
March 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
The Rev knows his stuff! A good onya to him. And congrats to you. I had a 1x12 bass amp on loan to me for the longest time (owner went overseas) and it was great as a guitar practice amp. So long ago I have no idea what it was though, haha.

Yep, I've found bass amphs to work fairly well for guitar and especially acoustics (guitars, that is!). A couple of things to keep in mind when using a bass amph for guitar is that if the amph has a tweeter, then don't use distortion as that will wreak havoc with the tweeter (why guitar amphs don't have them) and bass speakers are designed for a lot of "throw" or movement of low frequency notes which can result in a sort of "dry" sound for guitar.

Bass amphs are typically higher powered due to the increased amount of energy needed to move the speaker cone a greater distance with each note.
Bass cab volume and porting specs make a huge difference in tone too.

Enjoy the Acoustic, the few I've tried sounded very good for the price.