PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton Strat - refretted

jpfeifer
February 23rd, 2010, 11:41 AM
I've had my Eric Clapton Strat for some time now (going on 15 years), and it's due for a refretting job. Since this one also has some finish issues on the fret board (common with the earlier EC models) I've asked the guy to replace the original vitage sized frets with the larger jumbo frets, and refinish the fret board with nitrocellulous laquer. I can't wait to get the guitar back. It already played great, but it should be even better with these larger frets.

--Jim

hubberjub
February 23rd, 2010, 12:02 PM
That's cool. Was it just the typical finish peeling from a maple board? The board on my '91 American Standard Strat is a mess. It plays fine, it just doesn't look all that great.

jpfeifer
February 23rd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Hubberjub,

Yes, exactly. This is the same issue that mine had. The finish was just peeling off of the fretboard and looked like hell. The guitar repair shop told me that this was a common problem. Way back when the finish issue first happened I contacted Fender to see if they would repair the finish, but they refused. The guitar has always played great, so I can't complain too much. But now, it should be much better. I just hope that the finish doesn't start peeling off the back of the neck too.

--Jim

Jipes
February 24th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Good for you you'll have a better neck for bending as I heard from Jumbo frets users. Let us know if you have the same feeling about it :AOK