PDA

View Full Version : Agile AL-3100M B-Stock Guitar - NOW WITH PICS!

Bloozcat
February 26th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Here's my preliminary review of my new Agile AL-3100M Plain Maple Top B-Stock guitar:

The overall appearance of the guitar is quite nice. The higher level of quality in this model over lesser models is apparent. The finish is obviously thinner, but with a nice uniform gloss. The binding is well executed and attractive. The fretwork, nut, fit, finish, and general construction is superior. The total weight is 9.7 lbs which is in the normal range for an LP with a thick maple top (the maple top being denser and heavier, adds weight). It's definitely an aesthetically appealing guitar. The case that the guitar came with, and in, is a very well made case. In addition to the soft, thick pile padding inside, there is also an attached satin sheet that is form fit to the case interior that covers the top of the guitar when the case is closed. No flimsy, bargain case here.

After removing the foam packing sleve in which the guitar was wrapped, the first thing I looked at was the plain maple top. Many of the 3000M/3100M plain tops I've seen have had nicely book matched pieces of maple; or at least the grain patterns were matched in a way where the pattern flowed together at the center joint. On this guitar, the two pieces of maple are noticably different and don't match up very well at the center line. It's not so bad that it makes the guitar look weird or poorly made, and the wood tones (coloration) do match. I've seen much more expensive Gibson LP's that have much the same look. It's something I can live with.

The next think I checked was the bridge and tail piece. The ad copy says that they are Tonepros TPFP-N and CT-1 N respectively. I have been under the impression that the whole point of Tonepros bridges and tail pieces is that they can be locked in place via allen set screw that tightens the bridge and tail piece against the posts in the body of the guitar. There are no set screws visible and there is no indication of a brand name anywhere on any of the pieces of hardware. Does anyone have any direct knowlege of this bridge/tail piece who can add anything more?

I then turned my attention to the reported flaws that make this a B-stock guitar. The ad said that there is a 1/2" crack in the fret board just above the 22nd fret. In actuality, there is only about a 1/4" dent in the fret board, no crack at all. And, the dent is so shallow that whoever it was who discovered it must have done so by using a magnifying glass. I would say that I only found it because I was informed that it was there. Otherwise, I might have missed it. The other reported flaw was a red stain on the body binding near the input jack. There is in fact a small, barely noticable red stain on the top side of the body binding. Again, only a close inspection would reveal it.

So, as far as the "defects" go, they are more than acceptable. In fact, on many guitars I've seen they wouldn't even warrant a B-stock labeling.

Next, I pulled the neck pickup to check on the thickness of the maple body cap. It is 3/4" thick as advertised, so that was checked off.

After the visual inspection was done, I tuned the guitar and tried it out acoustically. The tone is warm and resonant, but with the characteristic snappiness or added brightness that a thick maple cap adds. The frets appear to be well set and finished with only one very slight area of concern. On the G string between the 5th-7th frets, there is a very slight fret buzz. It is so slight that the strings can be manipulated through finger pressure so as to eliminate it. A very minor issue, and one that may simply be polished away or require only the slightest of leveling on the frets in question. As it's a new guitar, I wouldn't even think of doing anything beyond polishing the frets until the guitar settles in.

Finally, it was time to try it out through an amp. I chose my Ceriatone OTS as it has the best, most high fidelity tone of any of my amps. The first thing I noticed here is that the guitar has modern LP wiring, not vintage 50's type wiring. That will have to be rectified. I like independent volume and tone controls in the middle pickup position, and IMHO the tone of the guitar is just better when wired to the vintage 50's spec. It's interesting to note that my AD-3000M has the 50's wiring, and that guitar was purchased within the last 6-8 months. The pickups in this particular guitar are USA made Seymour Duncan's - an SH-1 Vintage '59 model in the neck, and an SH-3 Stag Mag in the bridge. Most people who know Duncan pickups are familiar with the Vintage '59 (one of Duncan's PAF clones), so I won't go into detail about that except to say that it is a little bassy/boomy in this guitar. Could be the wiring scheme, the cap, an under spec pot...can't tell at this point. The bridge pickup is another story altogether. The SH-3 Stag Mag is actually two single coil pickups with individual, staggered, Alnico II pole pieces, that are side by side in std. humbucker fashion. In dual coil humbucking mode the pickup has a resistance of 16.2k and is fully splitable for single coil operation. If the coils are wound evenly (which I'm not certain they are), then the single coil would read right at 8.1k. Certainly in the hot range for a single coil. Interestingly, this pickup is not wired for coil splitting in this guitar...which makes one wonder why Agile chose it in the first place. In humbucker mode, this pickup is clear, bright, and loud. It does not respond like any humbucker of standard construction that I've ever used. This is definitely a specialty pickup. As I played it, I couldn't help but think that it would probably do very well in the bridge position of a Tele with dual humbuckers. There it could sound like a great single coil pickup when split, a super single coil with both coils, and still have some standard humbucker tone to boot...and all noiseless.

I will be re-wiring this guitar very soon and at that time I will evaluate the electronic components. Since I bought this guitar to be as close to an actual (and much more expensive) Gibson LP as I could get, I'll probably replace any components that fall short of the proper LP specs, i.e., Switchcraft toggle switch/input jack, CTS pots, PIO caps. And since I have a set of Guitarforce Lord of the Blues Alnico IV custom wound PAF pickups that are made to go in an LP type guitar with a thick maple cap, that's what I'll be putting in.

My first Agile purchase from Rondo music was an LP-2800-DLX CSB back in 2004/2005. At that time I was pretty impressed with what the Korean factory that makes Agiles was doing...especially for the $289.95 I paid for that guitar. Over the last several years, Agile quality has improved even more. I have an AD-2500 P-90 that is better quality than that original 2800...and this is for what is in the Agile pecking order, a "lesser" model. The AD-3000M Prestige I last purchased has reinforced that perception of quality with this 3100M being the pinacle. Newer versions of Agiles due out this spring are supposed to raise the bar even higher (and the $$$ as well, I'm sure).

New gear purchases always come with the standard "new gear glow". Often times that elation over a new piece of gear turns into complacency once the bloom is off the rose. This Agile AL-3100M should endure the test of time as a solid, true to spec, LP type guitar. And, for several hundred (or even thousands?) less than the "real deal" it deserves a "best buy" award. I think it's a keeper....:AOK
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/IMG_0796.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/IMG_0797.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/IMG_0798.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/IMG_0799.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/IMG_0801.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z265/Bloozcat/IMG_0803.jpg
That's my bass player Bloozduck looking on in the background...:cool:

duhvoodooman
February 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM
Excellent write-up, BC. Will look forward to reading more about this guitar when you've had it awhile.

EDIT: Now that the pics are up--SUH-WEET LOOKIN' AXE, BC!!! I want me one of those in black, with gold hardware! :AOK :dude :rockon:

Bloozcat
February 26th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Excellent write-up, BC. Will look forward to reading more about this guitar when you've had it awhile. But, of course (and you knew this was coming)....

:worthless

So try to stay sober tonight, okay? :thwap :rolleyes:

Stay sober...?
What makes you think I'm sober now...:wave:

Spudman
February 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
This thread is irrelevant until we have pictures.

M29
February 26th, 2010, 01:50 PM
:poke

Duff
February 27th, 2010, 12:25 PM
I have an AL2000 that is great and can imagine how your new one will turn out.

My new Epiphone Tribute LP has a solid maple cap but, to my surprise, the maple cap is one solid piece with no joint. It is antique cherry sunburst.

It has a beautiful maple grain like the one in the picture of yours on the Rondo site, except the maple grain is of a clear, knot free, appearance; unlike the top on the Rondo site picture of your guitar that has a knot in the grain on the one side.

I actually like the looks that the knot brings to the top with the deeper colors and more complicated grain pattern. Is yours a clear maple cap or is the grain knotted, etc?

My Epi has Gibson USA '57 and '57 plus pickups and sounds really great; clear and very full. It also has coil splitting for individual pickups. Additionally it has grover locking tuners and switchcraft switch and plug and upgraded electronics, came with Epiphone straplocks. It also came in a very nice Epiphone case.

It was a bit expensive but is a great guitar, meant to commemorate Epiphones historical relationship with Les Paul. They could have taken one of several routes making the guitar: they could have made a great one, like they did, or they could have made one of many Epi LP designs merely to mass market them and take advantage of the Les Paul historical relationship.

Anyway, yours is a great looking guitar. I will also post some pictures in my review of mine, but I need to take them first, ha ha.

Bloozcat
February 27th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Another observation I didn't mention:

This is a "wide" neck model, meaning it's advertised as 1-3/4" at the nut. According to my caliper, it's 1-23/32". That puts it at 1/32" smaller than 1-3/4", and 1/32" larger than 1-11/16". Splitting hairs, I know, but I'm using it to say that this neck feels like a Gibson 1-11/16" neck. It just feels right as an LP type guitar should. In fact, the whole neck just feels right, which is so important in how we bond with a guitar. I've played some expensive guitars that I would have expected to feel perfect, but they don't...and some inexpensive one that do feel right. So, that's another plus for this guitar.

I wouldn't have thought it so, but this guitar feels quite a bit different from my Agile LP-2800-DLX and my AD-2500 P-90, both of which have maple necks and 1-5/8" nut widths. It's good to see a guitar line that gets progressively better with time. Especially one that offers so much for such a reasonable price.

Now, if only my wife could only find something to do away from the house, I'd be able to crank her up a bit...:AOK

M29
February 27th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Unbelievable Blooz that baby is sweet!!! Congrats! :AOK

Katastrophe
February 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Beautiful, Blooz... Congrats!

It's really cool that Kurt puts up these B stocks. He doesn't have to end up eating a big loss, and players get a good deal!

Ch0jin
February 27th, 2010, 03:02 PM
The next think I checked was the bridge and tail piece. The ad copy says that they are Tonepros TPFP-N and CT-1 N respectively. I have been under the impression that the whole point of Tonepros bridges and tail pieces is that they can be locked in place via allen set screw that tightens the bridge and tail piece against the posts in the body of the guitar. There are no set screws visible and there is no indication of a brand name anywhere on any of the pieces of hardware. Does anyone have any direct knowlege of this bridge/tail piece who can add anything more?

Well I kinda do yeah. Both my Matons have TonePro bridge and tails and they DO have set screws because as you say, that's their point of difference.

There are two on the tail piece on the outside edges of the cutout for the posts. Obviously to lock the tail into position on the posts.

There are two also on the bridge, again to lock the bridge to the posts, and these are on the PU side of the bridge.

Both sets are clearly visible.

Also, just because I happen to have a spare tail in my bits bag I had a look, and whilst the outside bears no logo, there is a "TonePros by GOTOH" label pressed into the bottom. You'd have to remove it to see it.

Duff
February 27th, 2010, 04:32 PM
I believe they are called, "Locking Tone-Pro" bridges. I have one or two on some guitars, my Epi LP Plus top and I think my MK. Regular "Tone-Pros" that I have are not locking.

Although, according to the Gibson tech guy my new Epip LP Tribute has locking tonepros. But there are no allen screws. So I called and he said they have a new design locking tonepro that uses a spring mechanism inside the bridge and tailpiece.

Would the gibon guy lie to me????? They have had participated in some unethical practices lately: like the nondisclosure of weight relieving and chambering until some dudes saw xrays of their "solid body" LPs and were supposedly shocked by what they saw. Only then, years after the production method had been implemented, did gibson disclose the practice. Possibly a trade secret. They now include the chambering description in the chambered guitars, which is almost all gibsons except for custom shop models.

Algonquin
February 27th, 2010, 04:49 PM
That is a beatiful looking guitar Bloozcat... and Bloozduck looks pretty darned impressed as well, and we all know that's not an easy thing to do!

Congrats :applause

Ch0jin
February 27th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I believe they are called, "Locking Tone-Pro" bridges. I have one or two on some guitars, my Epi LP Plus top and I think my MK. Regular "Tone-Pros" that I have are not locking.

Although, according to the Gibson tech guy my new Epip LP Tribute has locking tonepros. But there are no allen screws. So I called and he said they have a new design locking tonepro that uses a spring mechanism inside the bridge and tailpiece.

Would the gibon guy lie to me????? They have had participated in some unethical practices lately: like the nondisclosure of weight relieving and chambering until some dudes saw xrays of their "solid body" LPs and were supposedly shocked by what they saw. Only then, years after the production method had been implemented, did gibson disclose the practice. Possibly a trade secret. They now include the chambering description in the chambered guitars, which is almost all gibsons except for custom shop models.

H'mm I dunno... I had another look over the TonePros website and from what I can see, all their models have locking screws. Without the locking screws it's just a probably a regular Gotoh set or a copy of one.

The new Epi tribute doesn't use a TonePro's bridge and tail. It uses a "LockTone" set that, as you say, has some kind of spring retention mechanism.

I have no idea if there's any difference tonally between the TonePros and the LockTone, but they are different products.

Duff
February 27th, 2010, 05:35 PM
My mistake. Thought they were locking tone pros on the Tribute.

This explains, as the gibson guy stated, why there are no allen lock screws. Thanks for correcting me on that nomenclature mistake.

Pretty sure they had non locking tone pro bridges and stop tails before they came out with the allen screw versions a year or so ago. Could be wrong on this. Seems like the tone pros have been around for a while and would fall apart if you took off all the strings.

sunvalleylaw
February 27th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Very very nice looking! Good review Blooz!

Eric
March 1st, 2010, 03:06 PM
Wow. That sure makes a plain-top look nice. Nice write-up and everything, and congrats on a very nice axe.

Robert
March 1st, 2010, 03:10 PM
Looks great, man. Only tip I can offer is, don't plug it in while you're in the pool.
:cool:

Spudman
March 1st, 2010, 08:27 PM
Wow, that's shiny. Nice looking axe.

Hey look guys - his water isn't frozen.:socool

oldguy
March 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM
Beautiful Agile, Blooz.:applause
If work keeps up at the pace it is now (60+ hrs./wk) I'm looking into another one. Best value for the money I've found. The attention to detail is great IMO.

Bloozcat
March 2nd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Looks great, man. Only tip I can offer is, don't plug it in while you're in the pool.
:cool:

Oh, man!

Now you tell me...?

http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/electricf.gif

marnold
March 2nd, 2010, 01:01 PM
Hey look guys - his water isn't frozen.:socool
He must be . . . a witch!

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
Well, I contacted Kurt at Rondo Music about the Tonepros bridge and tail piece on this guitar. It was in fact, supposed to be the locking Tonepros that came on the guitar. Kurt said, sorry for the mix up, he had none in stock but would order them from the factory. Typical Rondo Music service after the sale from Kurt...simply the best. :AOK

Katastrophe
March 3rd, 2010, 08:46 AM
He must be . . . a witch!

Oh, man, I almost derailed the whole thread by going on a Monty Python tangent.

Good thing I didn't!:D

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2010, 09:52 AM
Oh, man, I almost derailed the whole thread by going on a Monty Python tangent.

Good thing I didn't!:D

Ahh, yes. Must be the famous:

"What makes you think she's a witch?"

"She turned me into a newt."

"A newt?"

(Pause)

"I got better..."

sunvalleylaw
March 3rd, 2010, 11:11 AM
That is great about the service from Rondo in resolving the issues. I still jones for one of those one day.

I almost went Python on that too, which I suspect Marnold intended. "Who are you, that you are so learned in the ways of science?"

Bloozcat
March 3rd, 2010, 12:01 PM
That is great about the service from Rondo in resolving the issues. I still jones for one of those one day.

I almost went Python on that too, which I suspect Marnold intended. "Who are you, that you are so learned in the ways of science?"

Watch those B-stocks, Steve. The "blems" are always overstated and the discounts generous.

marnold
March 3rd, 2010, 12:39 PM
". . . and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped."
"This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes."

Sorry. Nice guitar, though :)

Ch0jin
March 3rd, 2010, 04:36 PM
Well, I contacted Kurt at Rondo Music about the Tonepros bridge and tail piece on this guitar. It was in fact, supposed to be the locking Tonepros that came on the guitar. Kurt said, sorry for the mix up, he had none in stock but would order them from the factory. Typical Rondo Music service after the sale from Kurt...simply the best. :AOK

Good stuff :)

Like I said, I'm not sure there's any noticeable tone difference, but it's nice to know you're getting what you paid for :)

Also the tail not falling off when you take all the strings off is nice :)

Tig
March 3rd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Mrs. Tig and I just watched the Holy Grail last night, first time in years. I still love that movie. :rollover

You could call me a Python geek. To this day, I have every line stuck in my otherwise useless memory. My brother and I happened to watch Holy Grail the first night it was released, not knowing what we were in for in those days... Our guts were sore even the next day from so much laughing!

oldguy
March 4th, 2010, 04:55 AM
Watch those B-stocks, Steve. The "blems" are always overstated and the discounts generous.

.............and the nice ones don't last long.................

Bloozcat
March 4th, 2010, 08:07 AM
Good stuff :)

Like I said, I'm not sure there's any noticeable tone difference, but it's nice to know you're getting what you paid for :)

Also the tail not falling off when you take all the strings off is nice :)

About the only expectation I have (other than the string change thing) is that there may be an increase in sustain. That's the one claim I've heard repeatedly. We'll see....

Monkus
March 5th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Congrats Bl00z !! Great looking guitar, looking into one myself. Question, how does the neck compare to your other Agiles?

Bloozcat
March 5th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Congrats Bl00z !! Great looking guitar, looking into one myself. Question, how does the neck compare to your other Agiles?

Feels like a 60's LP neck to me. Not a baseball bat, and not real thin either. It is thinner than my LP-2800 DLX and my AD-2500 P-90 - both of which are maple necks. It's vey close to the mahogany neck on my AD-3000M, with the AD neck being perhaps, slightly thicker.

It's a very comfortable neck. As a matter of fact, it feels darn near perfect to my hand. It's something that I notice every time I pick it up to play. Of the last several guitars I've purchased, this one just feels the best. It's hard to describe beyond that other than saying, it just feel right like the best real LP's I've played (and better than my friends new Gibson LP standard that he paid $2k for) .

Monkus
March 5th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the info, thinking about pulling the trigger on this one:

http://www.rondomusic.com/al3100hsbfwide.html

Great axe you got!

hagarfreak33
March 6th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Sweeeetttt!

Duff
March 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Nice Guitar selection Monkus.

Reminds me of my Epiphone solid amber flammed maple top LP Standard plus top. Now with Seymnour Duncan JB bridge and 59 neck, nickel plated.

Monkus
March 7th, 2010, 08:34 PM
very nice.....should pull the trigger by mid next week...