PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my Tube Screamer?

FrankenFretter
February 27th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I've had the pedal for a couple years, and the original owner had it for who knows how long before me...

Recently it's been getting noisier, and the drive seems to be less, um...driven, lately. I have it dimed, and it's still barely noticeable as an overdrive. Granted, the TS is a fairly subtle pedal, but it used to have more overdrive than it does now, of that I'm sure.

Do they wear out over time? I can't imagine why that would happen. Maybe someone can tell me what might be happening to my beloved pedal.

Also - The pedal is a TS10; are there common mods available for this pedal? Maybe an 808 mod?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Spudman
February 27th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'd just have a mod done to it. That would probably take care of any issues and get you an almost new pedal to play around with. Whoever does the mod can certainly trouble shoot any issues.

mainestratman
February 27th, 2010, 07:39 PM
This may be stupid (on my part).. have you changed the battery?

FrankenFretter
February 27th, 2010, 07:49 PM
This may be stupid (on my part).. have you changed the battery?

Not stupid at all, but I don't use batteries.

I'd just have a mod done to it. That would probably take care of any issues and get you an almost new pedal to play around with. Whoever does the mod can certainly trouble shoot any issues.

I was thinking of doing the mod myself, if it's not too involved. I still have some not quite dormant electronics skills left over from high school. Has anybody here ever done a TS mod?

I experimented today with moving it around in the effects chain, as proposed by my brother, NW Basser. I put it first, before the clean boost, and it seems to help. To me, it seems illogical; the boost should hit the TS hard enough to make it work better, or something. But it doesn't matter what seems right to me, it matters what works, and this seems to work better than before.

duhvoodooman
February 27th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Unless it's really old and the electrolytic caps are leaky, I would guess that the opamp is dying. I do pedal repairs & mods--if you're interested, PM me.

mainestratman
February 27th, 2010, 09:15 PM
Not stupid at all, but I don't use batteries.

OKay.. I only bring it up because I once bought a brand new whatever pedal because I was convinced it was dead.

Dummy me had it on battery.. the DC cord was broken. lol

I would HIGHLY recommend DVM... I just "inherited" one of his Rabid Rodents... he does great work.

FrankenFretter
February 27th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Unless it's really old and the electrolytic caps are leaky, I would guess that the opamp is dying. I do pedal repairs & mods--if you're interested, PM me.

PM sent. Thanks!

tunghaichuan
March 2nd, 2010, 01:55 PM
It could be that the electrolytics are old and worn out, the TS-10 was made back in the 80s after all.

It could be a slowly-dying opamp, too.

DVM should be able to fix you up.

FrankenFretter
March 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
It could be that the electrolytics are old and worn out, the TS-10 was made back in the 80s after all.

It could be a slowly-dying opamp, too.

DVM should be able to fix you up.

Yep, DVM has been commissioned to mod it to 808 specs. And I'm probably going to have him build me a Mega Muff as well. One must have flavors, no?

duhvoodooman
March 2nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
Yep, DVM has been commissioned to mod it to 808 specs. And I'm probably going to have him build me a Mega Muff as well. One must have flavors, no?
Then you'll just need a Rabid Rodent to fill in the middle between them.... :D

tunghaichuan
March 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM

I owned an original TS-808 for several years and a couple of TS-10s. The TS-808 did sound much better to me.

You may find this link useful:

http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/TStech/tsxtech.htm

It explains the various (minor) differences in the different Tube Screamers.

FrankenFretter
March 3rd, 2010, 07:59 AM
I owned an original TS-808 for several years and a couple of TS-10s. The TS-808 did sound much better to me.

Cool! Thanks Tung!

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2010, 08:17 AM

That article is a classic--first thing I read when I got into modifying my original BYOC Overdrive, which became the Zonkin' Yellow Screamer prototype. R.G. Keen is "the man"--one of the true gurus of guitar effects technology.