View Full Version : Neovin Noisefree "Overwound" Pickup Set

MAXIFUNK
March 2nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Has any here ever used these pickups?

Neovin Noisefree "Overwound" Pickup Set-
http://store.guitarfetish.com/nenoopisebl.html

Duffy
March 3rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
I have been wondering about these myself. The concept sounds good and I saw another company using the same magnet configuration, or similar.

What are you going to put them in Mazi if you get them?

I have a Cherry Sunburst Squire Standard strat that I would like to put some nice pickups in and those neovins keep haunting me.

I have a big money set of SD's in one of my Squire strats: JB Jr in bridge, 59 in mid, and hot rails bridge in the neck: great combination of pickups with incredible sound, all noiseless. Close to 300 for the pups then the switch and new pots and custom wiring.

The neovins sound like an inexpensive alternative.

But, can you use the existing pots and caps? Do they need 1 meg pots? Nothing is said in the description that I saw. I'm not sure that they are direct drop ins.

Samarium cobalts, Fender hot noisless, etc., call for different pots to sound best and caps to if I'm not mistaken.

What's up with these neovins. I might email Jay and see what he says.

MAXIFUNK
March 3rd, 2010, 12:51 PM
I have been wondering about these myself. The concept sounds good and I saw another company using the same magnet configuration, or similar.

What are you going to put them in Mazi if you get them?

I have a Cherry Sunburst Squire Standard strat that I would like to put some nice pickups in and those neovins keep haunting me.

I have a big money set of SD's in one of my Squire strats: JB Jr in bridge, 59 in mid, and hot rails bridge in the neck: great combination of pickups with incredible sound, all noiseless. Close to 300 for the pups then the switch and new pots and custom wiring.

The neovins sound like an inexpensive alternative.

But, can you use the existing pots and caps? Do they need 1 meg pots? Nothing is said in the description that I saw. I'm not sure that they are direct drop ins.

Samarium cobalts, Fender hot noiseless, etc., call for different pots to sound best and caps to if I'm not mistaken.

What's up with these neovins. I might email Jay and see what he says.

Duffy,

I was going to try Fender Hot Noiseless 3 Pickup Set used on the Jeff Beck sig. axe. BUT they do not come in Black and I read where several guys who tried to replace them with black covers and broke the pups.

So, the Neovins seem to be a great choice since I wanted to put black pups on the axe that had high output and some vintage sound to them and the price was really nice. But they do not give very much info on how the install process is done. An since I was not going to do the install myself I was going to call them to get more info.

The strat I want to put them is the heaviest strat I have ever picked up with my LP in one hand and it in the other I think the strat weighs more. Which creates such a full sounding tone more then any of my strats or any I have heard before so it would be a perfect candidate full a high output pups.
I was hoping to get a single coil sound somewhere in the middle of the strat LP tones.

FrankenFretter
March 3rd, 2010, 02:53 PM
Duffy,

I was going to try Fender Hot Noiseless 3 Pickup Set used on the Jeff Beck sig. axe. BUT they do not come in Black and I read where several guys who tried to replace them with black covers and broke the pups.

So, the Neovins seem to be a great choice since I wanted to put black pups on the axe that had high output and some vintage sound to them and the price was really nice. But they do not give very much info on how the install process is done. An since I was not going to do the install myself I was going to call them to get more info.

The strat I want to put them is the heaviest strat I have ever picked up with my LP in one hand and it in the other I think the strat weighs more. Which creates such a full sounding tone more then any of my strats or any I have heard before so it would be a perfect candidate full a high output pups.
I was hoping to get a single coil sound somewhere in the middle of the strat LP tones.
Guitar Fetish sends you some pretty clear wiring instructions, although I just wired mine in the same manner that the originals were wired in. It's a pretty simple operation, if you can solder at all. I'd been quite out of practice (like 25+years), but I did just fine. If you have a different 5-way than the illustration shows, like I did, you can just wire them the same as the original pickups. Take a picture for reference before you unsolder the old ones.

Duffy
March 3rd, 2010, 04:05 PM
I emailed Jay at GFS and asked about if you need to replace the pots.

He replied that he likes to use 500 or 1 meg pots with the neovins he puts in.

I might get a set of them. The 1 meg pots are like two dollars and fifty cents.

I'm not sure how changing the pots would affect the tone. Keeping the stock pots in might give you a more mellow tone, brighter with the five hundreds and even brighter with the one meg; I'm not sure, maybe it's a loudness scale going up.

Anyone know how the pot values affect the neovin outcome? Do you have to replace the stock ones? What is the advantage of replacing the stock ones? What do you gain?

MAXIFUNK
March 3rd, 2010, 04:23 PM
I emailed Jay at GFS and asked about if you need to replace the pots.

He replied that he likes to use 500 or 1 meg pots with the neovins he puts in.

I might get a set of them. The 1 meg pots are like two dollars and fifty cents.

I'm not sure how changing the pots would affect the tone. Keeping the stock pots in might give you a more mellow tone, brighter with the five hundreds and even brighter with the one meg; I'm not sure, maybe it's a loudness scale going up.

Anyone know how the pot values affect the neovin outcome? Do you have to replace the stock ones? What is the advantage of replacing the stock ones? What do you gain?

My strat use only one tone knob for all 3 pick-ups does that matter?

Tig
March 3rd, 2010, 04:32 PM
To see what the difference each pot value makes, go to their Custom Shop NEOVIN Hand Wired page (http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsusacushne.html) and click the "Pot Value" drop down menu.
1 Meg = Hottest, Crispest
500K = Loud and Full
250K = Creamier and Smoother

MAXIFUNK
March 3rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
To see what the difference each pot value makes, go to their Custom Shop NEOVIN Hand Wired page (http://store.guitarfetish.com/gfsusacushne.html) and click the "Pot Value" drop down menu.
1 Meg = Hottest, Crispest
500K = Loud and Full
250K = Creamier and Smoother

I guess from reading that (1 Meg = Hottest, Crispest) means loudest most fender like?

marnold
March 4th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I guess from reading that (1 Meg = Hottest, Crispest) means loudest most fender like?
Loudest, I'm sure, but I don't think most Fender-like. A good compromise would be to use one value for the volume pot and another for the tone.

MAXIFUNK
March 4th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Loudest, I'm sure, but I don't think most Fender-like. A good compromise would be to use one value for the volume pot and another for the tone.

OK that makes sense I am going to give these a try. I am going to order them next month. I think i'll try them with the one meg pots and go from their.

More info to follow.

Spudman
March 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
The noiseless pickups that I've used seem to sound best with 500K volume pots. I think I left the tones at 1 meg and it all sounds good. 1 meg volume was just way too brittle.

MAXIFUNK
March 11th, 2010, 04:10 PM
The noiseless pickups that I've used seem to sound best with 500K volume pots. I think I left the tones at 1 meg and it all sounds good. 1 meg volume was just way too brittle.

Thanks that is very good to know.