PDA

View Full Version : Slide Guitar Clip..

Blaze
March 2nd, 2010, 03:27 PM
A little quicky Slidin something i did today with an old peavy Falcon on wich i installed some 11-52 gage strings.I replaced the 11 for a 13 ..

Plugged straight in the Blackstar ,no pedal, recorded on Audacity with a cheapo Samson mic..

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8833729

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/31/1555652/Slip%20Slide%20002a.jpg

sunvalleylaw
March 2nd, 2010, 03:53 PM
I like that playing Blazes. I would love to learn me some slide. Do you use this guitar for it? I have heard players often designate a particular guitar for slide.

sumitomo
March 2nd, 2010, 04:16 PM
Wow! Very nice Blazes,good playing and some sweet tone also.Is that the amph you had some probs with?Any ways that was nice.Sumi:D

tjcurtin1
March 2nd, 2010, 06:36 PM
Oh, yeah, Blazes! Nice gritty sound and nice playing...

piebaldpython
March 2nd, 2010, 09:43 PM
Nice playin' Blaze. Really nice gritty tone. A couple of times I thought you were going to drag the song into the SWAMP....:poke :happy

kidsmoke
March 2nd, 2010, 10:01 PM
awesome Blaze, definately hear a little Landreth style happening there. Nicely done.

Other than the heavy e string, have you done a set up for slide? Individually raised action on strings, etc?

Blaze
March 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks guys for the nice comments.
I came back to slide lately ,watching videos ,articles & interviews to get some feel and tricks.
I m not an A1 slider but i enjoy learning & playin it..
Might get some studio gigs ,it s in the air..

Other than the heavy e string, have you done a set up for slide? Individually raised action on strings, etc?

By installing a bigger gage and tunning it in open E on the Peavy, wich has a kind of a Floyd ,the action has raised automaticaly..
That s what you want to play slide..
Every guitar is different but raise the action a little is a must..

Sumi: Yep i had a tail boost problem on the effect Loop but we fixed it with an easy modification..This Blackstar Ht 5 sounds good,i like it..

Sunvalley:I think it s better and common to have a guitar set for slide exclusively..
I have nt play much on the Falcon ,wich has active Jackson PU, so i ve decided to set it for slidish stuff..
Different tunning and bigger gage can be tough on a neck tho , so don t use your brand new axe..

Jipes
March 3rd, 2010, 08:23 AM
A little quicky Slidin something i did today with an old peavy Falcon on wich i installed some 11-52 gage strings.I replaced the 11 for a 13 ..

Plugged straight in the Blackstar ,no pedal, recorded on Audacity with a cheapo Samson mic..

Very nice playing Blaze and nice crunchy tone it reminds me of some of David Lindley masterpiece on the lap steel

duhvoodooman
March 3rd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Very tasty tone & playing, Blaze! :AOK :applause

marnold
March 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
Good stuff, Blazes. A foot-stompin' good time.

jpfeifer
March 3rd, 2010, 08:06 PM
Blaze this is great. It sounds awesone. Great tone!!
I had to do a slide part for a song that I'm working on for one of my friends. Just finished the part last night. (it kicked my butt, however it came out nice)

I love slide playing. I find it a little more expressive than standard guitar technique. There is a lot there that you can do, but it's very sensitive. I'm still developing a feel for it. I need to do as you did and raise my action. I should dedicate a guitar for it.

I love the tone you're getting and your intonation is excellent. Way to go. Good luck with your studio gig, you're going to knock them over!

--Jim

Blaze
March 4th, 2010, 08:08 AM
Blaze this is great. It sounds awesone. Great tone!!
I had to do a slide part for a song that I'm working on for one of my friends. Just finished the part last night. (it kicked my butt, however it came out nice)

I love slide playing. I find it a little more expressive than standard guitar technique. There is a lot there that you can do, but it's very sensitive. I'm still developing a feel for it. I need to do as you did and raise my action. I should dedicate a guitar for it.

I love the tone you're getting and your intonation is excellent. Way to go. Good luck with your studio gig, you're going to knock them over!

--Jim

Thanks Jim,

Nice to see that other guys are havin fun playin slide at the Fret..
This is an other way to express,intense and sensitive..

I m just starting to catch how it works ,so much tunings,tecnics & tricks to learn .
Many hours of studies to come..
I like it..

Thanks Jipes, Duhv..and Marnold for your kind comments ..

jpfeifer
March 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
The one thing that I didn't appreciate about slide before trying it myself, is the intensity that you can put into your solos. Every little nuance of the way you use vibrato or slide into the notes creates a different feel. I'm not a very advanced slide player yet, but I love the way it sounds when I add a slide part to a song, even with fairly simple slide parts. It just makes everything sound a little more human, probably because you can put more emotion into the notes without having frets to limit where you place the notes themselves. This also becomes the most challenging part of playing slide, keeping your pitch accurate so that you stay in tune with the other musicians who are playing with you.

Send us some more tracks of your slide playing when you do some more tunes! I can always use more inspriration.

--Jim

piebaldpython
March 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Hey Blaze......is your git set-up to play SLIDE at the exclusion of fretting or did you just get the action raised a bit for SLIDE but you can still fret??

Great stuff dude. Lots of nuances to slide and/or lap steel. There's a whole ton of stuff you can do with just your picking hand (esp if you fingerpick).

Blaze
March 4th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Hey Blaze......is your git set-up to play SLIDE at the exclusion of fretting or did you just get the action raised a bit for SLIDE but you can still fret??

Great stuff dude. Lots of nuances to slide and/or lap steel. There's a whole ton of stuff you can do with just your picking hand (esp if you fingerpick).

It is raised enough to let me play the regular way ,wich is obviously a little harder but makes the bottle much better sounding,strings gage is important too ..
Open tunings are easier to play chords ,you have to explore and find them ,i m sure there are plenty of tabs on the net also..

Derek Trucks plays mostly in open E and his action does nt seems to high so he can play all kind of chords,
i learned from him this thumb raking thing he does all the time
while Warren Haynes is more into the regular tuning..
Damping is obviously the thougher part ,emulating human voice seems to be the goal ..

e1b1uOvXtMU

J5OLrK3WtvA

FrankenFretter
March 4th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Way cool, Blaze. I love slide. That's something I'd like to learn someday, too. Great tone, and great playing!

Kazz
March 14th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Blaze.....incredible piece....You have to tell us more about that falcon. I hear a bit of Ry Cooder in there. Very nice.

Blaze
March 15th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Blaze.....incredible piece....You have to tell us more about that falcon. I hear a bit of Ry Cooder in there. Very nice.

Thanks Kazz for your warm comment..

Not much to say about the Peavy ,this is a cheapo guitar i use to play with in the 90 s as a back guit..
A friend of mind had sold me a set of Jackson active PU for cheap so the guitar sounded much better.
Lately I changed the set up and strings gauge to practice and explore slide playin but i d rather have a SG style guitar ,
better to play in the high part of the neck..
G.A.S. again .......:thwap