PDA

View Full Version : CL trade advice

Commodore 64
March 4th, 2010, 02:28 PM
Would you trade a Boss RC-20CL Looper for a Godin Redline 1 guitar straight up?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Redline-1-Electric-Guitar?sku=620136

I have the Looper, but after the first week, I never use it.

FrankenFretter
March 4th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Would you trade a Boss RC-20CL Looper for a Godin Redline 1 guitar straight up?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Godin-Redline-1-Electric-Guitar?sku=620136

I have the Looper, but after the first week, I never use it.

Godin makes great guitars. If you're not using the loop de loop, I say go for it.

Katastrophe
March 4th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Yep... Sure would.

But, I'd travel to my nearest music store and play a sample Godin if you find one, just to see if you like 'em.

Spudman
March 4th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Eventually you'll be sorry you didn't use and sold that looper. No matter what level of player you are that is one tool that can make a huge difference. Ask yourself if you really need another guitar or to improve your playing? Which is most important to you?

Commodore 64
March 4th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I have too many guitars, I'm certain of that.

Here's what the guy told me:

Here's a suggestion. Trade the Boss rc 20 for my Godin because it is an exceptionally great deal. Then take the guitars you don't think you need down to Woodsy's and trade to get yourself the one nice guitar and multi effects unit or modeling amp that you think suits you best. Then sell or trade off whatever you have left..I've dealt with the salesmen there before and they are pretty cool and helpful. One good modeling amp, an acoustic, and an electric that fits the style you want to learn should be all you need at your level.

He makes a lot of sense.

Commodore 64
March 6th, 2010, 07:02 AM
SPudman, I disregarded your excellent advice. I did make the trade. In my convoluted way of reasoning, I rationalized that the looper wasn't as much as a neccessity anymore since I am taking lessons, and have also managed to make friends with a group of local musicians who get together and jam regularly. I get invited to (and attend) their jam sessions for the past couple weeks. They are really cool, I'm the youngest there, but they are very supportive and helpful. So I don't feel as chained to the looper as my sole source of evaluation or feedback on my playing.

I also figured that I had $175 into the looper, and this was an opportunity to try a very well made guitar for an even trade. So I did it. I made the trade.

The Godin is a very nice guitar. I ran home and hooked it up after work. My friend stopped over (a shredder) and gushed over it. He was super impressed...As for me though, I played it for about 20 minutes...and the guitar itself is nice, very nice. But then I spent the next hour and a half playing my tele (again). I tried to break the tele spell with my MiM Strat, that worked for about 5 minutes.

Other observation, Holy SH!T that EMG is a hot pickup. My god does it deliver some crunch.

Commodore 64
March 8th, 2010, 09:26 AM
MiM Tele, Cherry colored...http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/msg/1633799636.html

I have the Godin Redline. Trying to decide whether to email that guy or not....

duhvoodooman
March 8th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Unsolicited advice: Take a few deep breaths and relax for a while. IMO, you're getting caught up in the GAS/gear churn cycle.

Commodore 64
March 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah that guy didn't want any part of my Godin anyways... and I should prolly keep a shred guitar around.

Ch0jin
March 8th, 2010, 05:39 PM
....and be thankful that you have craigslist to find bargains, I've been stalking a vintage guitar on ebay for a few days. It got my attention when it was $300, but now it's over $1800 with 4 days left still.... Sigh... too many professional bargain hunters on ebay methinks. Given the transaction history of the bidders I'm pretty sure they aren't guitar players, more like vintage/antique traders.

Still, I guess I know it's worth thousands (think 1966 335 and your close to what I'm stalking), so I shouldn't be upset that I'm the only person in the world who figured out that buying a vintage axe for 1/6 of the price would have been a bargain...

haha. Sydney section of craigslist right now has a total of 2 guitars (aside from a dealer with a bunch of lefties)

Anyway, what were we talking about?

Oh yeah. I'd have kept the looper (I have the same one), but diversity is the spice of life so I hope you enjoy your new acquisitions!

... and I should prolly keep a shred guitar around.

Haha, as I read that I found myself saying "Oh most definitely!" I'm hot for old hollow bodies right now, but I can see a sleek ESP or Jackson or similar in my future....