PDA

View Full Version : Neil Young quote

Monkus
March 4th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I found this in the Agile forums and I thought I'd share.

"First of all, it doesn't matter if you can play a scale. It doesn't matter if your technique is good. If you have feelings that you want to get out through music, that's what matters. If you have the ability to express yourself and you feel good when you do it, then that's why you do it. The technical side of it is a completely boring drag, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, I can't play fast. I don't even know the scales. A lot of the notes that I go for are notes that I know aren't there. They're just not there, so you can hit any note. I'm just on another level as far as all that goes. I appreciate these guys who play great. I'm impressed by these metal bands with their scale guys. Like I go, "Gee, that's really something." I mean, Satriani and Eddie Van Halen are genious guitar players. They're unbelievable musicians of the highest caliber. But I can't relate to it. One note is enough."

Neil Young

msteeln
March 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
One note is enough."Here's another of his that I like (in reference to concert-goer's expectations of him) - "they didn't get what they wanted, but I got what I wanted".
“I went out there and played all new stuff - songs that really meant somethin’ to me, “ he told his biographer Jimmy McDonough. “And they were still lookin’ at fifteen, twenty years ago, even though they were teenagers… They didn’t get what they wanted. But I got what I wanted. Because I went out there and did the songs and got in touch with what it’s like to play and communicate with an audience just with guitar, with songs they don’t know that well. That’s where it really lives.”

Neil's the best we got.

oldguy
March 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
And another from long ago, inside the cover of, I believe, the "Decade" album, in the liner. When asked to describe his style, in an interview with a German news reporter, his answer was....."minimal".
That's honesty.